The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 17, 2012, 02:57 AM   #1
TheGoldenState

Shotgun Shell Goes Off Unexpectedly

How is it that this happened? What made the primer go off? Simple rolling off the table to the floor doesn't seem like it should be enough. Not to mention it would appear based on the roll, that the round didnt land primer straight down on something (not that that should make it go off anyway).

The video doesn't show but I wonder what kind of damage it could have done? I can't imagine the pellets projecting much more than a foot or two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVLHMqlsWgU
Old November 17, 2012, 05:16 AM   #2
mete

I think the term "screwing around " explains it !!
Old November 17, 2012, 05:54 AM   #3
Metal god

Every time I drop a shell I cringe a little bit thinking oh no. Now I know there's a good reason for it

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old November 17, 2012, 06:26 AM   #4
Salmoneye

Look like they were old and corroded...

I'm old enough to remember when shells were brass, and not plated steel...

First time I saw a shell that had rusted, I cringed too...
Old November 17, 2012, 07:18 AM   #5
jmr40

Something had to hit the primer when it fell with enough force to discharge the shell. I'm betting something was in the floor that it landed on.

Since the shell was not enclosed in a guns chamber the powders force was not concentrated in any one direction, and it had much less power. Likely the shot in the shell had very little speed and damage or injuries would have been slight. In fact the much lighter plastic shell moved with much greater force than the shot. It is unlikely anyone would have suffered serious injuries from a shell discharging outside of a gun. I still wouldn't have wanted to be in the area.

The guy in the video didn't seem to be doing anything irrespnsible or dangerous. A shell simply rolled off the edge of the table while he was talking. Most all of us have had similar things happen, he was just very unlucky in the way it landed.
Old November 17, 2012, 10:11 AM   #6
TPAW

Quote:
Something had to hit the primer when it fell with enough force to discharge the shell. I'm betting something was in the floor that it landed on.
I would agree.
Old November 17, 2012, 10:37 AM   #7
Skans

Watched it again, and saw the shell roll off the table. Could have been poorly stored old ammo, or the primer could have hit something.
Old November 17, 2012, 02:33 PM   #8
spanishjames

What was the point of the video in the first place? If the shell didn't go off, it would've been a video of him doing what exactly?
Old November 17, 2012, 02:46 PM   #9
Sparks1957

The primer must have hit something on the floor sharply enough to set it off.

(Edited because the shogun disappeared)

Last edited by Sparks1957; November 17, 2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old November 17, 2012, 02:48 PM   #10
birdshot

+1 SpanishJames.
Old November 17, 2012, 03:10 PM   #11
wizrd

a shell going off outside of a chamber, wether full of powder, or just a primed case, can propel the primer with enough force to pass through a few inches of muscle or soft tissue. A friend had one travel through three inches of calf muscle to lodge just beneath the skin on the opposite side of his leg. It could easily have neen a very serious injury.
Old November 17, 2012, 04:40 PM   #12
jmr40

Quote:
What was the point of the video in the first place? If the shell didn't go off, it would've been a video of him doing what exactly?
I cannot hear the audio clearly, don't think it is even English. It appears he is trying to make some sort of instructional video. I don't see anything negligent, just a wierd accident and hopefully no one was injured.
Old November 17, 2012, 04:57 PM   #13
snuffy

I can tell one thing for darn certain, that table is not level. Another thing I bet happened, off camera, was a quick change of underwear! Darn sure woke him up!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old November 17, 2012, 07:41 PM   #14
Kreyzhorse

Seems a bit questionable. He showed the shells to the camera to prove they are real and then one happens to roll off the table and explode. Fishy say I.
Old November 17, 2012, 10:02 PM   #15
Avenger

I think it's fake...it looks like the explosion happens right at the back corner of the table. The shell rolled off the edge well to the right of there, and any flash from the explosion would appear down at floor level.
Old November 18, 2012, 10:56 AM   #16
Nickel Plated

Looks fake. I call shenanigans.

The other thing. If you're trying to make a video (looks like an instructional in this case) and screw it up in the process (by supposedly having a shell explode)
Why do you still post it?
Old November 18, 2012, 11:13 AM   #17
Slamfire

Well we can't see how the shell landed.

I want to say that primers are less predictable than what we want them to be.

I get into debates all the time with people who think primer sensitivity is a constant. That is primers are all the same and they all take the same amount of energy to set them off.

Based on frequency of slamfires reports, there is a reason why semi automatic firearms with free floating pins have reports of slamfires, and those mechanisms that have captive firing pins, reports are rare to the point of non existence.

Primer goes off in a Purse!
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...232052308.html

Quote:
By Eric Pfeiffer, Yahoo! News | The Sideshow – Tue, Jun 12, 2012

A Pennsylvania woman was shot in the leg while shopping at a local department store on Tuesday. But in a nearly unbelievable twist, no gun was involved. Apparently, the woman was carrying the bullet in her purse, when it mysteriously exploded.

"She did not have a gun in her purse or on her," Montoursville Deputy Police Chief Jason Bentley told the Williamsport Sun-Gazette. Bentley said the woman, whose name has not been released to the public, "was not aware" she was carrying two or three bullets inside her purse at the time of the accident.
The 56-year-old woman was taken to a local hospital and was eventually discharged. In fact, the woman initially declined medical treatment, only heading to the Williamsport Regional Medical Center after her son reportedly encouraged her to do so.

"Something must of hit the primer of one of the bullets," Bentley said. "The bullet stayed in the purse, but its casing put a hole in the purse and caused a minor leg wound."

Bullets exploding outside of a gun are a rare occurrence but are not entirely unprecedented. In March, a bullet being used as evidence in a court case exploded in a bag and shot 20 feet across a courtroom. No one was hurt in the incident. It was surmised that the bullet exploded after its tip bounced against another bullet tip in the same evidence bag, according to the Telegram & Gazette.
Old November 18, 2012, 12:00 PM   #18
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Young man used his special effects imagination in filming. Use your imagination to figure out what he's trying to accomplish.> (Bogus as can be.)
Old November 18, 2012, 12:29 PM   #19
TheGoldenState

Slamfire,

WOW, never thought self firing ammo was an issue. I've dropped tons of rounds. Guess i've just been lucky.

FOr those calling hoax, maybe, but i don't see it.
Old November 18, 2012, 01:25 PM   #20
leadcounsel

Fake.

1. What's the purpose of the video. And is the guy mumbling while making an instructional video...? As someone else said, if there was no AD, what was the purpose of recording him showing the shot shells to the camera while mubbling something?

2. Purposefully non-level table.

3. Watch him flick-roll the shell into the others that are stacked in a row - painfully obvious he is trying to get the last one to roll off the table.

4. The explosion doesn't occur where the shell fell and would have landed.

Total fake.
Old November 18, 2012, 01:38 PM   #21
TheGoldenState

^^

If you've ever checked out anything on youtube that wouldn't be a question.
Purposely non-level????

Notice a second round rolls just the same, I dont see anything painfully obvious, though it's not my video so its all conjecture.

I take it at face value.
Old November 18, 2012, 01:54 PM   #22
leadcounsel

For it to fire, it would have to land directly on the primer. That means the shot would be 90 degrees straight up. Not at a 70 degree angle toward the corner wall.

Again, it is quite telling that he rolled the shell toward the others. Anybody who has handled shells/bullets on a table doesn't roll them around unless you WANT to get on your hands and knees and root around on the floor to gather them up. You either put them in a tight pile, or in a container, or stand them on end.

WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF SHOWING THE PRIMERS AND SHELLS TO THE CAMERA WHILE MUMBLING??

Again, I am sure this is a staged fake.
Old November 18, 2012, 05:14 PM   #23
Metal god

The guy was most likely starting a video for something else . When the shell went off he need to stop and start over .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; November 20, 2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old November 18, 2012, 05:52 PM   #24
B.L.E.

I have seen an actual shell go off, in a bolt action shotgun, the striker somehow fired when the bolt was open as the loaded shell was being extracted.
The explosion ripped the side of the shell open, the shot charge and wads stayed in the shell, it didn't even open the crimp.
It went more poof than bang.
Old November 20, 2012, 09:00 PM   #25
BGutzman

100% fake... Not saying a primer hitting something could or wouldn't set a shell off but this video IMHO is as fake as a three dollar US bill.