The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 27, 2018, 01:21 PM   #1
kymasabe

Anderson Manufacturing ? Receivers and parts kits ?

Well, I'm not new to Anderson lower receivers as I've built a few, all with PSA parts kits, and never had an issue with them. However, this time I decided to build one with an Anderson parts kit and...I think will be my last Anderson kit.
Take down pins were rough and hard to move, replaced with Strike Industries Extended pins which work perfectly. Safety looked to be milled nicely but...was so notchy and stiff, could hardly move it. Thinking it might be a little out of spec, I hit it with a little 600-grit sandpaper but didn't improve at all. Removed it, threw in a Trinity safety I had laying around that works much better. Bolt catch was wobbly, so was replaced with a Strike Industries enhanced bolt catch. Buffer tube detent felt light but I installed it anyway, and shortly afterwards looked like it was coming up crooked and appeared bent. Replaced it with a BCM detent and now works and looks fine. Lastly...the horrible trigger that wouldn't reset unless I pushed the trigger forward. YouTube videos state this isn't uncommon and showed a fix, grinding out a mis-cast part of the hammer, which I did and now works better. But still doesn't feel right, and I've lost all confidence in the fire control group. So, Anderson said they'll look at the trigger and hammer for possible replacement if I send it back to them, which I am today (will let you know later how/if that works out). And in the mean time will be completing my budget build with a cheap CMMG take-out trigger.
In the mean time, everything I'm installing is going into an Anderson stripped lower and at least that seems to be doing it's job correctly.
As this is my first experience with the Anderson kit...I'm wondering if I got a bad kit and just unlucky pick, or if this is common for an Anderson kit?
Old September 27, 2018, 01:35 PM   #2
9x19

I've only used one Anderson LPK, but it was fine... also in an Anderson lower.
Old September 28, 2018, 02:35 PM   #3
SDF880

Do they make those kits? I have an unopened one will try to find origin of manufacture. I have several of their AR's and zero issues. They're from my old hometown I want to see them do good!
Old September 28, 2018, 02:55 PM   #4
rickyrick

I don’t like anderson lower parts kits, but the receivers are a good value
Old September 28, 2018, 03:58 PM   #5
cosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrick View Post
I don’t like anderson lower parts kits, but the receivers are a good value

+1 rickyrick. A couple Andersen lowers (not LPK) and receivers fit together right and function well in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old September 28, 2018, 05:01 PM   #6
LineStretcher

I actually have a set of prints for a AR lower because I do a few 80% Lowers and the Anderson stripped lowers are to spec. I use Giselle lower parts kits sans trigger with Ambi Safetys and anti walk trigger pins. I prefer a drop in trigger so in the end, if the lower is machined to spec and the fit to the upper is tight they are fine. I use VLTOR uppers now after some sloppy Aero precision issues.
Old September 28, 2018, 05:58 PM   #7
44caliberkid

I bought a couple cerokoted parts kits that were made from Anderson LPKs. First one worked fine, had trigger group issues with the other. Light primer strikes. Put in a CMC trigger and worked fine. Might be a weak hammer spring. Shame too, because the coated trigger has a great feel to it. May retry with a spring of known quality.
Old September 28, 2018, 08:13 PM   #8
TruthTellers

I'm a machinist/manufacturing engineer, I watched videos of Anderson's facility and for the prices they sell their upper and lower receivers, I was amazed at how new their machines were. I was expecting beat up 20 year old Haas or Cinncinatti's and instead I was greeted with shiny, new Mazaks, which are the best milling machines on the market today, better than the Mori Seiki machines.

The oldest, crappiest machine they had was the one they made charging handles on.

The lowers Anderson makes are the best value around and the quality of the ones I have is perfectly fine, I couldn't ask for better and if I did, I wouldn't want to pay double for that better.

The uppers are made on Mazak machines just like the lowers, but because the upper is such a critical part for accuracy, I buy Aero as it's quality is well known. IDK how the Anderson uppers are, my belief is they should be fine.

Parts kits however, I would stay away. Idk what machines make them or if they're MIM, I feel they're probably MIM to keep prices low. Midway sells great parts kits for cheap and they work, I would stick with them.
Old September 28, 2018, 08:43 PM   #9
rickyrick

If you a sticking to “milspec’ish” parts kits, do a cmmg lpk. Those are the best triggers in standard kits ever.
Old September 28, 2018, 10:15 PM   #10
kymasabe

Interesting responses, thanks guys !!
I agree with some of the responses that said the lower receivers are a good value. I've built three so far, and am working on #4 as we speak. The other three were built with two PSA kits and one Spikes kit, and fit and function in all three were perfect, no issues at all. My issues this time were with the Anderson parts kit, which has proven to be pretty much worthless.
My trigger is on it's way back to Anderson, hopefully for an exchange, we'll have to wait and see how that plays out. In the mean time, I've got a CMMG trigger coming because, as RickyRick stated, are pretty good basic mil-spec triggers. This is a budge build, trying to keep it affordable.
By the way, if you're not on Primary Arms email list, go sign up !! I've been picking up my Anderson lowers for $30, plus $7ish in shipping. PSA has their lowers for $39 plus free shipping at time...not sure which one I like better of the two. My others are Ballistic Advantage, and I think I'd like to get a couple more Florida receivers like a Spikes and a Ghost, possibly more. I can finish building them some other day. Just NOT with Anderson parts kits !!
Old September 28, 2018, 10:49 PM   #11
5whiskey

Interesting enough, I've built 3 rifles for my kids. 2 anderson lowers and 1 ruger. The ruger WAS out of spec as the rear take down pin hole was not the proper diameter. I know it wasn't the parts kit I used, because I took a pin confirmed to fit in another lower (an anderson) and it would not fit either. The first pin I tried in the ruger slid into the anderson I robbed the other pin to verify with like a charm. I corrected the issue with some light hand machining, though ever so slightly over-corrected (despite moving slow) so the pin wobble just a wee bit.

Moral of the story. 2 andersons = good. I ruger = off. I was disappointed in the ruger. All lower parts kits were PSA. Not top shelf quality, but typically a decent value. Their enhanced polished trigger is hit or miss though. I have one that is pretty good, one that is ok, and one that is no better than a standard factory trigger.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old September 28, 2018, 11:03 PM   #12
kymasabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5whiskey View Post
All lower parts kits were PSA. Not top shelf quality, but typically a decent value. Their enhanced polished trigger is hit or miss though. I have one that is pretty good, one that is ok, and one that is no better than a standard factory trigger.
5whiskey, I agree about the PSA EPT triggers, I had the same experience. I've tried a few other trigger set-ups and found that the TomsTactical nickel teflon trigger is much better than the PSA EPT, and if you throw on the Wolff reduced power trigger and disconnector springs (and leave on the hammer spring that came with the kit), you get very very close to ALG ACT trigger feel and performance., all for around $51.
Old September 29, 2018, 07:31 AM   #13
Mobuck

I'm just guessing that many/most of the small parts in those "name branded" LPK's come from generic suppliers who ship parts by the gross to be repackaged by those "name brands".
If your requirements demand "better than average" parts fitment, you should be spending more to get "made in house" parts(which may or may not actually be "made in house" but may be gauged more closely than the cheap stuff that arrives in 100# tubs).
Old October 4, 2018, 09:49 PM   #14
kymasabe

UPDATE: Well, I got my fire control group back from Anderson today. And...it was a total waste of time. The defective, poorly machined hammer I sent back was returned to me as-is and all they did was replace the disconnector. I mentioned to them that the hammer and trigger had been installed and removed so many times that the finish wore off the ends of the pins, and I'd requested new pins and of course that was a no-go as well, got the old beat up pins back too. So, I just shot them another email, we'll see if they're done, or if they want to try again.

Last edited by kymasabe; October 5, 2018 at 08:47 AM.
Old October 5, 2018, 07:47 AM   #15
LineStretcher

Why don't you just drop a Elfman or JP Rifles drop in trigger in it and be done. Yeah, they're not cheap but with all the frustration you're going through it might just be worth it.
Old October 5, 2018, 08:45 AM   #16
kymasabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineStretcher View Post
Why don't you just drop a Elfman or JP Rifles drop in trigger in it and be done. Yeah, they're not cheap but with all the frustration you're going through it might just be worth it.
Well, I'm running Hiperfire EDT triggers on my other AR's and am very happy with their performance. This build however was to be a budget build, the spare gun in the back of the safe, the truck gun.
I've had too many problems with the Anderson parts kit, so this morning I gutted the Anderson receiver, (left in the Trinity safety) and installed a CMMG parts kit instead, which was much better quality for only a few dollars more. Lesson learned. I put the Anderson kit in the trash where it belongs.
Old October 5, 2018, 10:38 AM   #17
kymasabe

Another update: Anderson sent another email stating that was their mistake, the entire fire control group should have been replaced, has asked me to remove and dispose of the old fire control group and they said they'll be sending me a new complete FCG.
Helps a little to restore my faith in Anderson's customer service.
Old October 5, 2018, 10:43 AM   #18
kymasabe

Last edited by kymasabe; October 5, 2018 at 10:55 AM.
Old October 5, 2018, 10:47 AM   #19
kymasabe

PS...pictured with a Troy magazine, which I wasn't thrilled with, OK fit, not great function. Even worse mag was new Mission First Tactical mag that I tried, was thin, flimsy, loose and rattled a lot.

Last edited by kymasabe; October 5, 2018 at 10:57 AM.
Old October 6, 2018, 09:41 PM   #20
berettaprofessor

Odd that this would come up today. Was building a new lower, Soikes Tactical, but decided to use up an Anderson parts kit I had around. Takedown pins are very very tight and I was kissing the bolt catch spring and had to stop there. I won’t use their parts kits again. Have had no problems previously with DPMS or Stag kits.
Old October 7, 2018, 08:06 AM   #21
Mobuck

"Takedown pins are very very tight and I was kissing the bolt catch spring and had to stop there."
Takedown pins being tight is a problem??
Maybe you're referring to the detent stops??
I've found MANY lower receivers with debris or finish residue in the TD pin detent recesses. As a result, I've been using a properly sized drill bit to clean the trash out of those detent spring holes. In addition, some detent pins are a wee bit abrupt on the end so when this is mated with a TD pin with abrupt detent divots, use of a small hammer may be in order until the parts sort themselves out.
I have no idea what "kissing the bolt catch spring" means so can't respond to that.
Old October 7, 2018, 08:09 AM   #22
stagpanther

Take any AR and hold it up between your eyes and a light behind it in such a way that you can see the line between where the upper and lower meet. If you can see a sliver of light--especially a crooked one (most do, in my experience when doing unmatched receivers in homebuilds): that right there IMO is the main reason pins have fitment issues and BTW is also an "accuracy thief." Then it becomes a game of ID OD tolerances. detent pins, when a bit too pointy, can also create extra drag

Nice looking gun, BTW--let's see some target results.

PS--when you take surface off the safety--you also can change the timing of the entire fire control group.

Last edited by stagpanther; October 7, 2018 at 08:18 AM.
Old October 7, 2018, 11:00 AM   #23
Nanuk

What is your experience level assembling/working on AR's? Most issues I have seen have been with inexperienced builders.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old October 7, 2018, 12:25 PM   #24
stagpanther

Quote:
Most issues I have seen have been with inexperienced builders.
We all have to start someplace.
Old October 7, 2018, 09:18 PM   #25
berettaprofessor

I was MISSING the bolt catch spring, not kissing it. Lol