The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 18, 2018, 07:04 PM   #1
fourbore

How to verify C&R is real?

I am looking at a firearm on Gun Broker. The seller listing shows he has FFL. He said he does not have any way to verify my C&R is real. Seller also mentions he has access to an ATF EZ check system to verify regular dealer FFLs. And, that online system does not verify C&Rs.

So, how is a seller like this expected to be sure my C&R is real and not just a phony piece of paper?

And, should I be concerned as a buyer that the FFL copy, which I expect with the gun in the box is real? Does Gun Broker run a check on sellers where the FFL symbol is shown next to the listing.
Old September 18, 2018, 08:21 PM   #2
fourbore

I just found that Gun Broker does verify the FFL of sellers who get that ikon posted.

Quote:
Enter your license number. We only use this information to check against the BATF database to verify that you are a valid licensee for the protection of out customers. We do NOT display your license number to the public.
Also been reading the federal law is that gun be received by FFL (some flavor of FFL). The seller need not have an FFL, so that should minimize buyer concerns.

I found this on another forum with a google search.

The BATF automated FFL EZ-Check designed to check 01 FFLs will not work for C&Rs, however,
there is a BATF telephone number you can call and verify the license verbally.

The number is 877-560-2435.
Old September 18, 2018, 08:38 PM   #3
jonnyc

I also have that number (877-560-2435) in my phone, listed as C&R Verification. I haven't had an occassion to use it yet, but there you are.
Old September 18, 2018, 09:21 PM   #4
jag2

Some dealers just refuse to accept a C&R, not much you can do about it. They are under no obligation to do so. It’s their choice. My choice is to refuse to deal with them.
I wish GB had a box that dealers have to check when they post. Most dealers do tell you but you have dig it out.
Old September 19, 2018, 08:58 PM   #5
fourbore

Yea, I told the seller about the phone number. His reply was he knew about that. And that he wanted a paper record which he gets from the ez verify. Bottom line, my max bid, if and when there is a bid, will be $25 less.