The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: Do you like front strap checking on 1911s?
Yes 42 63.64%
No 14 21.21%
Don't care either way 10 15.15%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 1, 2021, 03:19 PM   #1
TunnelRat

Front Strap Checking on 1911s: Yay or Nay

As the title suggests, do you like, dislike, or not care either way when it comes to front strap checking on 1911s? I notice that on more expensive 1911s front strap checking is often included. I get that this is another production step and would add to the cost. I'm wondering if it's added just because people expect it at those prices or because people really like it.

For reference, the Wilson I own has 25 lpi checking and I like it. The TRP I've handled with 20 lpi checking was too aggressive for my liking.

-TR

Last edited by TunnelRat; May 1, 2021 at 05:28 PM.
Old May 1, 2021, 03:39 PM   #2
Forte S+W

It doesn't really make a difference to me. I own a few guns with checkering on the front of the grip, but it neither bothers me nor strikes me as substantially beneficial, so I could take it or leave it.
That said, most of the time checked front straps on grips cost extra on all-metal guns like the 1911, and I personally wouldn't pay extra for it.
Old May 1, 2021, 04:23 PM   #3
RickB

I like front strap traction, but don't care if it's checkering or tape.
A custom gun should have checkering, but I wouldn't base a purchase decision on presence or absence.
Old May 1, 2021, 04:33 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

Checkered front grip frame? no, thanks.

Checkered rubber grips that wrap around the front grip frame? YES!!

Checkering the front of the grip frame is permanent, and depending on who does it, can be too sharp and uncomfortable, or even to coarse to be useful. Really a matter of personal preference.

Rubber grips that wrap around the front of the frame work well for me. "locking" the gun into my grip. Plus, they aren't a permanent alteration to the gun, so if you change your mind, easily removed. Also, the same applies to selling the gun. Some folks won't want it if it has had the frame checkered.
Old May 1, 2021, 05:08 PM   #5
dgludwig

I like having checkering on the front straps of most pistols, especially 1911s. I think 25 lpi is a good compromise between being too rough, causing abrasion, and being too smooth, sacrificing traction. Too, I think a good checkering job adds to the looks of a pistol, at least to my eyes.
Old May 1, 2021, 05:23 PM   #6
TunnelRat

Front Strap Checking on 1911s: Yay or Nay

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
Rubber grips that wrap around the front of the frame work well for me. "locking" the gun into my grip. Plus, they aren't a permanent alteration to the gun, so if you change your mind, easily removed. Also, the same applies to selling the gun. Some folks won't want it if it has had the frame checkered.

I’m primarily thinking about checkering from the perspective of it coming that way from the manufacturer, not a permanent alteration after the fact. You’re right that there will be those that like it or not, but in my experience permanent alterations that are part of the factory configuration hurt resale less than ones done by an owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old May 1, 2021, 07:03 PM   #7
Sharkbite

I went with stippling on the front strap of my serious use 1911. Not as abrasive as checkering. Gives plenty of traction without tearing up hands or clothes. On a hard use gun those matter, IMHO
Old May 1, 2021, 09:26 PM   #8
Nathan

Checkering is a must for me. I just replaced a 1911 for that reason....to get checkering.

Love the new one!
Old May 1, 2021, 10:06 PM   #9
lechiffre

I would rather have it than not.

do the interns get glocks ?
Old May 2, 2021, 06:10 AM   #10
mpolk

Either way. I put skateboard tape there if not checkered.
Old May 2, 2021, 08:07 AM   #11
JustJake

On a fighting 1911? ... If Sgt. York didn't need it, neither do you.

On a range toy or a barbecue "show-n-tell" piece, it doesn't matter.
Old May 2, 2021, 08:33 AM   #12
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJake View Post
On a fighting 1911? ... If Sgt. York didn't need it, neither do you.

On a range toy or a barbecue "show-n-tell" piece, it doesn't matter.

Lots of things didn’t exist during WWI. That doesn’t mean I don’t like them now or that Sgt York wouldn’t have appreciated having them then.

Old May 2, 2021, 10:55 AM   #13
Sevens

I really want front strap checkering on my Coonan Classic. Furthermore, I honestly feel like I really need it also. I've used the 3M tape. It works for shooting, it looks terrible but the real problem I have is that the gritty part separates from the adhesive part, leaving the adhesive behind. It's not at all the solution I desire.

I would love to have someone deft with a file and some experience checker the front strap (and them maybe the MSH too?) for me.
Old May 2, 2021, 12:26 PM   #14
10-96

I voted NO, however, as with most of my thinkinology there's a caveat to that. I think if I had a nicer stainless 1911- a little mild checkering, lines, or something up there wouldn't bother me.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old May 2, 2021, 12:33 PM   #15
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevens View Post
I really want front strap checkering on my Coonan Classic. Furthermore, I honestly feel like I really need it also. I've used the 3M tape. It works for shooting, it looks terrible but the real problem I have is that the gritty part separates from the adhesive part, leaving the adhesive behind. It's not at all the solution I desire.

I would love to have someone deft with a file and some experience checker the front strap (and them maybe the MSH too?) for me.

Yeah I’ve had issue with the adhesive separating as well.

Old May 2, 2021, 02:22 PM   #16
Sgt127

My buddy is an original IPSC champion. Absolutely hates checkering. He likes the ability to make last nano second adjustments to his grip.

I’ve carried a 1911 for about 20 years as a duty gun. Any serious fighting 1911 needs checkering as far as I’m concerned. When it’s 105 degrees. You are drenched in sweat and grappling around with somebody, and it’s time for a gun, that smooth sexy range gun feels like a bar of wet soap.

My Wilson (I’m seriously dating myself, Master Grade 130) has sharp checkered micarta and 25 LPI checkering and, a checkered flat MS housing.
Old May 3, 2021, 11:57 AM   #17
jr24

Absolutely yes if its a shooter, IMO, so much of the grip is made easier with very good purchase on the front and rear straps.

My 1911s that didn't come factory checkered all have skateboard tape on the front strap.
Old May 3, 2021, 01:28 PM   #18
Brownstone322

Of my three 1911s (two Colts and a Ruger), only my Colt Lightweight Commander has some form of texture on the front of the grip. (In this case it's serrations, but I will assume that counts.)

I much prefer the serrations to smooth.
Old May 3, 2021, 01:43 PM   #19
Hawg

I had one checkered once and I liked it but I wouldn't pay to have another one checkered. I had wraparound grips on another one but they made it feel too fat so I cut the front strap off. I'll just leave mine smooth.
Old May 3, 2021, 05:37 PM   #20
dahermit

Checkering is not needed if one uses grips that wrap around like these. Also note the rubber covered main spring housing. Very comfortable, very secure grip when firing. Does not permanently alter the gun.
Old May 3, 2021, 06:44 PM   #21
dgludwig

44 AMP referenced this type of grip earlier in the thread but some shooters find that they make the grip frame too "fat". Need to try 'em on first for fit.
Old May 3, 2021, 11:22 PM   #22
ss1/G8RFAN

Wilson makes an almost foil thin front strap that is held in place by the grips. I put one on my commander and it feels pretty good. The trick is to install it tightly wrapped. One side comes pre-folded to fit in the grip cutout and to wrap it around the front strap and crease the other end so that it grabs the cutout edge. I used a thin double-sided adhesive film on the front strap to hold it in place while doing this. Years later and it hasn’t slipped or moved at all.

Last edited by ss1/G8RFAN; May 3, 2021 at 11:39 PM.
Old May 4, 2021, 10:01 AM   #23
Crunchy Frog

I also ended up installing the Wilson “panel” on my Series 70 Gold Cup. I like checkering and asked a local gunsmith about converting the stock vertically grooved front strap to checkering but he didn’t want to take a chance that too much metal would be removed.

I use my 1911 in Wild Bunch Action Shooting; the rules applicable to the “Modern” category allow checkering or other texturing of the frame but prohibit wrap around grips or skateboard tape. Happily the Wilson checkered panel is legal.
Old May 4, 2021, 01:43 PM   #24
Sevens

I looked at that Wilson accessory years ago but never tried it and until now, never heard a review. I think I’m gonna grab one of these and give it a shot.

Side note... I understand that gun game rules are often odd, frustrating and sometimes hard to figure but it seems nonsensical that tape is not allowed, a wrap around purpose-made grip is not allowed but some oddball one-off product (that nobody else has EVER made and marketed, in my recollection) is somehow within the boundaries of the seemingly strict rules?!

Wut?
Old May 4, 2021, 03:01 PM   #25
44 AMP
Staff

Like the checkering or not, its your personal choice. I would, however, caution against any kind of sharp or "aggressive" checkering on the front strap of anything that recoils significantly more than a 9/10/.45acp 1911.

Grooves, ok, checkering, no thanks.