The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 29, 2021, 06:19 PM   #1
Nakanokalronin

Screw on recoil pad for Stoeger Coach Gun

I just bought a 12ga Stoeger Coach gun that I haven't taken possession of yet and I'd like to replace the plastic plate with a recoil reducing rubber butt pad. Are there any direct replacements or grind to fit models that are close? I've been searching online and people talk about replacing the butt pad with this one or that, but they never post the part number of which one they bought.
Old April 29, 2021, 06:30 PM   #2
Carl the Floor Walker

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/stoe...ide/parts.html
Old April 29, 2021, 07:57 PM   #3
Nakanokalronin

I saw those, but none of them say they're made for the Coach Gun. Did someone at Midwest Gunworks put the time in to see what models fit and add them to the category? They also list a few of the same brand of pads, same type of pads but different part numbers / sizes.
Old April 29, 2021, 08:33 PM   #4
jmr40

You will probably have to buy something oversize and generic that is meant to be ground down to fit. That can be a DIY project if you have the right tools, some skills and are willing to settle for a less than perfect fit. Otherwise you'll have to pay a skilled gunsmith to do it.

To do it right you'll also need to cut the stock down shorter. If not the LOP will be longer. Maybe too long to fit the shooter.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1945118987

I'd shoot the gun for a while before deciding. Unless you are shooting some pretty heavy loads you may find you don't need it.

Winston Churchill
Old April 29, 2021, 10:32 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

Get one of the cheap(er) slip on recoil pads and try it, first. And try it with all the loads you are regularly going to use.

This will tell you if the extra length to the stock that the pad adds is of any importance, and it will tell you if you actually need a pad, and how badly, if you do.

THEN look at a generic "cut to fit" permanent pad and if you'd be doing the work yourself or paying a professional. If you're thinking of doing it yourself (whether you shorten the stock, or not) read up on the best way and tools to use, (and why tape is your friend, ). The work is not difficult but the first few attempts rarely result in a professional quality looking fit.

Coach guns often have "short-ish" stocks. This makes them a bit handier and probably comes from the shorter length stocks found on some of the originals when men were, on average a bit smaller. Depending on your personal stature, you may find adding an inch or so with pad might be a desirable thing.

Find out using a slip on pad, and then you'll have a better idea of what you'll want, before doing any permanent work on the gun.

And, do you testing wearing the clothes you'll be wearing when using the gun. Summer t-shirt and winter can coat make more than a bit of difference when it comes to mounting and shooting the gun, too.
Old April 30, 2021, 02:54 AM   #6
Carl the Floor Walker

I shoot all my shotguns with one of these. A significant difference in recoil against the shoulder. I find it no problem to shoot he lightest 12ga with buckshot using them. Nice, comfortable fit that ride close to the body, no problem with even a tee shirt. Can wear with any clothing/ jacket etc over it.
Liked it so much, I bought a couple of spares for different range bags. Keep one in the vehicle all the time.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; April 30, 2021 at 02:59 AM.
Old April 30, 2021, 05:40 AM   #7
Nakanokalronin

I'm 6' 3" so adding length isn't a problem. I've used quality slip on rubber but pads and I don't care for the feel. I don't want a lace up pad since I want a clean look. I've fit a few Limbsaver pads before, but I took the butt plate to a store to find the one that would take the least amount of fitting. That can't happen right now which means I need to order it online. I don't have the gun in hand to measure it. I've seen people posting about them installing pads on the Stoeger Coach gun, but they never say what part number or size they used. I called Stoeger and they don't have anything that fits nor do they know the size I would need. I appreciate the replies, but hopefully someone that owns the same gun and installed a pad can chime in on exactly what they used.

ETA: I think this one might fit, but I won't know until I have the shotgun in hand. https://kickeezproducts.com/collecti...111-recoil-pad

Last edited by Nakanokalronin; April 30, 2021 at 08:57 AM.
Old April 30, 2021, 09:48 AM   #8
thegatman

Limbsaver has a template pdf that you can download. Trace the stock outline on the Stoeger and you can get pretty close. Just make sure your printout is actual size.
https://www.walnutcreekoutdoors.com/..._templates.pdf
Old April 30, 2021, 10:34 AM   #9
Nakanokalronin

Thanks, this might be the route I need to go. If I go this route and find out which one works I'll post the part number online. I'll be the only one on the internet to do so.
Old April 30, 2021, 12:53 PM   #10
FITASC

You need to measure the distance between screw holes and the overall dimensions of the buttplate; then find the pad closest and grind to fit
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 30, 2021, 04:03 PM   #11
44 AMP
Staff

I think one of the reasons you aren't finding a "factory fit" pad that just screws on is that quite often stocks get shortened to compensate for the pad, and that since that changes the size of the butt a bit, you'll need to fit the pad to the stock, anyway.

Good luck with your search, I hope you find one that fits acceptably well without any serious work.
Old May 1, 2021, 10:01 AM   #12
Nakanokalronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
I think one of the reasons you aren't finding a "factory fit" pad that just screws on is that quite often stocks get shortened to compensate for the pad, and that since that changes the size of the butt a bit, you'll need to fit the pad to the stock, anyway.

Good luck with your search, I hope you find one that fits acceptably well without any serious work.
I wasn't really looking for a direct fit. Like I mention in my original post, many people have posted online over the years that they changed the plastic plate for a rubber pad, but they never mention the size or part number. I was hoping someone that owned one of these that changed it would comment in this thread. I've posted this one 5 different forums and nothing yet, so I'll just have to wait until I have the gun in hand.
Old May 3, 2021, 12:50 PM   #13
Nakanokalronin

So I printed out the sixteen pages of templates from Limbsaver and not a single one will fit. None of the screw holes line up and none of them are wide enough. I now have to look through each of the other brands to see if something will fit, but it's not looking good so far. ETA: Just checked Pachmayr grind to fit templates and no luck there either. Even the Kick Killer lace up pads are not wide enough.

For anyone wanting to know the dimensions: W: 1.81" L: 4.95" Screw hole spacing: 3.43"

Last edited by Nakanokalronin; May 3, 2021 at 01:29 PM.