The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 1, 2021, 09:37 PM   #1
pwc

No more CCW in Oregon

Brother in law just called the wife and said a new law in Oregon stops concealed carry. Hope someome hete from Pregon can flesh this news out.
Old April 1, 2021, 11:20 PM   #2
Metal god

Interesting , in what context is there no ccw . Not even a "good cause" prevision in the law . It must be new because I know of 2 residents up there that just got there ccw last year and friend here in CA has an Oregon CCW permit but he's had that for several years .

I'll ask around and see what they all say .

EDIT : yeah looks like SB-554 will look to change the law to allow local governments to choose if they want to allow ccw holders to carry in "public" buildings . As it stands right now you can't carry a concealed weapon in public buildings , however if you have a state issued ccw permit you are exempt from that statute through out the state regardless of local . Sounds like they are looking to revoke that part of the law .

I've not read the proposal but if the wording is in fact public buildings rather then federal or state buildings . That would seem to open it up to any building that has "public" access . with out reading it I think I should leave it there for now .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; April 1, 2021 at 11:35 PM.
Old April 2, 2021, 06:09 PM   #3
raimius

I haven't heard of a new law.

Perhaps he is referring to the Young v Hawaii court case. https://www.12news.com/article/news/...9-9f1702004f0e
Old April 2, 2021, 06:52 PM   #4
Metal god

It’s a new “proposed” law SB-554 ( senate bill 554 ) , may not even be out of comity yet .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old April 3, 2021, 01:56 AM   #5
Geezerbiker

I haven't heard anything about it. I know they've been debating a new law with some crazy rules about gun storage but I don't think it's been voted on yet. The legislators from the Portland area propose some crazy stuff ever year and it almost always gets kicked to the curb by the legislators from the rest of the state. Hopefully that balance will hold with this one...

Tony
Old April 3, 2021, 02:55 AM   #6
AzShooter

I hope they don't all move to Arizona now and want to bring their other crazy laws with them. Many new states are accepting Concealed Carry. We've had the ability forever and it's actually better to just carry without your CCW.

If you have a CCW you must carry it with you always. Not a gun, just your license. We have open carry and it's no big thing to see someone walk into a restaurant with their gun on their hip. I feel comfortable with it.

The only reason I renew my permit is so I don't have to wait for the background check to be called in. At the height of the Covid-19 run on guns the checks were taking a couple of days. I just walked in, found the guns I wanted and was out in 5 minutes.
Old April 3, 2021, 04:39 AM   #7
Geezerbiker

I wish I had moved to a more conservative state when I could. I don't have another move left in me. The Dakotas are looking good about now. I haven't voted for a liberal since Ronladus Magnus showed me the errors of my mother's liberal teachings...

Tony
Old April 3, 2021, 05:15 AM   #8
Tom Servo
Staff

Here's the actual bill [pdf].

It allows entities to ban carry in "airport passenger terminals, hospitals, capitol buildings, public or private schools and universities, a city hall, or the residence of any state official — including the adjoining grounds." The entity has to place a sign similar to the Texas 30-06 signs. It also allows an increase in fees for a permit from $50 to $100.
Old April 3, 2021, 08:58 AM   #9
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzShooter
If you have a CCW you must carry it with you always. Not a gun, just your license. We have open carry and it's no big thing to see someone walk into a restaurant with their gun on their hip. I feel comfortable with it.
You are saying that if you have a carry license you have to have it on your person even if you are NOT carrying a firearm? I'd appreciate it if you would post a link to the law or regulation where that's stated, because that's something I've never heard of.

Quote:
The only reason I renew my permit is so I don't have to wait for the background check to be called in. At the height of the Covid-19 run on guns the checks were taking a couple of days. I just walked in, found the guns I wanted and was out in 5 minutes.
There's another good reason to have a license: the national GFSZ (Gun Free School Zone) law. Too many people forget that under federal law it's illegal to carry a firearm within 1,000 feet of a school property. Not just the school building(s) per se, but within 1,000 feet of any part of the property the school sits on. The exception to that law is if you hold a carry license/permit issued by the state in which the school is located. That language is very clear, so "constitutional carry" is no protection if you get busted under the federal GFSZ law.

https://www.gunlaws.com/Gun_Free_School_Zones_Act.pdf
Jeepaholic
Old April 8, 2021, 11:56 PM   #10
Koda94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezerbiker View Post
I haven't heard anything about it.
Id like to encourage you to become more active in whats being worked on, every year Oregon Democrats propose severe gun control bills. Subscribe to the Oregon Firearms Federation to keep up to date on what gun control bills are being worked on each legislative session and what senators to write or call in opposition. We need more than ever people contacting our legislators on this, especially the anti gun.

https://www.oregonfirearms.org/
Old April 9, 2021, 12:06 AM   #11
Koda94

Oregon here...
Essentially whats been posted here about SB-554 is true. A little background on Oregons politics is the Democrats now have a super majority so if every Democrat votes for a bill it gets passed. Im not super savvy on how politics works but thats my understanding. The last couple years the few Republicans have walked out (under financial penalty) but they are under a lot of pressure not to do so any more...
Ive no idea what else can stop the gun control bills from passing this year. My understanding is this is similar to the Texas 30-06 law... signage carries the force of the law but only in public buildings (Im not certain how this affects private businesses). The rub is these are public places, so whats the point of a CHL if you are limited in where you can go and dont know till you get there.
Old April 9, 2021, 06:41 AM   #12
Spats McGee
Staff

For reference: https://olis.oregonlegislature.gov/l...54/A-Engrossed

And the section that SB-554 hopes to modify reads in part as follows:
Quote:
....(3) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to:
(a) A police officer or reserve officer, as those terms are defined in ORS 181A.355.
(b) A parole and probation officer, as defined in ORS 181A.355, while the parole and probation officer is acting within the scope of employment.
(c) A federal officer, as defined in ORS 133.005, or a certified reserve officer or corrections officer, as those terms are defined in ORS 181A.355, while the federal officer, certified reserve officer or corrections officer is acting within the scope of employment.
(d) A person summoned by an officer described in paragraph (a), (b) or (c) of this subsection to assist in making an arrest or preserving the peace, while the summoned person is engaged in assisting the officer.
(e) An honorably retired law enforcement officer.
(f) An active or reserve member of the military forces of this state or the United States, when engaged in the performance of duty.
(g) A person who is licensed under ORS 166.291 and 166.292 to carry a concealed handgun.....

Or. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 166.370 (West)