The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 20, 2018, 04:37 PM   #1
Spats McGee
Staff

Squirrell Sniper

If you've visited the NFA forum recently, you may know that I just ordered a Dead Air Mask. In doing my research, I ran across the video below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olgOjusBWeY

Now, I have a couple of things with threaded barrels already, so I'm ready to go on that. I think I'd like to build a .22 LR bolt gun for suppressed target shooting, though. (I just want to call it the "Squirrel Sniper." I live in the city, so I can't shoot in my back yard.)

I'm considering a Ruger American Rimfire, maybe something by Savage. I don't have any objection to buying used, because I'll likely be swapping parts out, anyway. Any suggestions?
Old April 20, 2018, 06:36 PM   #2
Pahoo

I'm going shopping

Spats
I like your post and looks like I'll be going shopping. Savage makes many Rifle in .22 with threaded barrel and you should look into their website. look at the 93FV-SR or the MK-II FV-SR. Another option is to take what you already have, like and get the barrel. I use a smith that will thread the barrel for $99.00 and will even index and install, other hiders and comps. I have sent him two 10/22 barrels and he does very nice work. ......

For a variety of reasons, we are seeing more threaded barrels now than in the past. ...

Thanks for your post and;
Be Safe !!!
Old April 20, 2018, 07:17 PM   #3
agtman

Well, all I can say is a suppressed "squirrel sniper" rig is something every red-blooded American male should own.

Mine is a CZ Scout (16" and threaded) and it runs the Dead Air Mask can. Great can too. Scope is a little Weaver 1x-3x.

This set-up is light, handy, and accurate. It shoots CCI subsonic 40gn HPs into tight little groups @ 50-yds, all well inside minute-of-squirrel.

Most shots taken on the tree rats though are inside 20-yds. Killed 4 today, in fact. Last week it took 3 squirrels, 2 raccoons, and one possum. The raccoons and possum were sniped at night.

With the D.A.M. can, neighbors don't hear a thing they would recognize as something gun-related. I have an old side-cocking air rifle that emits waay more 'pop' than a suppressed subsonic 40gn HP.

Last edited by agtman; April 20, 2018 at 07:42 PM.
Old April 20, 2018, 07:33 PM   #4
Mobuck

I just added a threaded RAR 22lr to my stable. Since I have lots of Ruger magazines, the RAR was the logical choice. With less than 50 shots down the tube, it's a decent shooter. I quit shooting at 25 yards after the first cloverleaf and moved to 75 on the 4" swingers. The only misses were my fault.
My perception is it's only marginally quieter than a 10-22 but doesn't suffer the feeding issues found with sub-sonic ammo in the semi-auto. One of my favorite ammo choices is Aguila sub-sonic which often chokes the 10-22 unless the bolt is kept wet with CLP.
FWIW
Savage 22's are UGLY and I wouldn't own one unless it was free.
Old April 22, 2018, 01:34 AM   #5
10-96

I don't have a can, and honestly can't convince myself I have a need for a can, but I gotta +1 the suggestion for a CZ Scout. I have a 452 Military Trainer, 455 Ultra Lux, and a 455 Trainer in .17HMR- seems I had the long barrels covered well enough. So I picked up a Scout for me and my daughter... holy snuff cans that's a fun, handy, well shooting, and accurate little booger! I don't know why I suffered with long barrels for so long. The only thing I find myself doing with mine, is to take a 1911 trigger groove stone and a round stone to some of the left over machining burrs left on the inside of the receiver area. Oh, and I run the trigger adjustment nut down to minimum and just let it break in from there. It's plenty good enough for my purposes without needing to mess with a YoDave kit or Ace Hardware springs. And yes, my Scout arrived with a threaded barrel and thread protector too.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old April 22, 2018, 06:52 AM   #6
Spats McGee
Staff

Y'all have given me lots to think about. I like the idea of the Ruger American Rimfire, so that I can use those 10/22 mags I've gathered over the years, but the Savages and CZs look awfully nice, too!