The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 28, 2019, 10:49 PM   #1
Henry400

Range Report: Noreen BN36X3 .30-06

On Christmas day, I did a quick 50 yard sight-in and function check after mounting the scope. That was 20 rounds.

On Thursday, I took it to a 100 yard indoor range get a good zero set up, and did some more break-in. That was another 20 rounds.

Today, I took it to an outdoor range so I could shoot a greater distance than 100 yards, which I have not done for some time. (like over 40 years)

My impressions:

Function –
During the first 60 rounds I had a few failures to fully cycle. The manufacturer says this is normal. I dialed up the gas a little bit, but it didn’t seem to make much difference. After those 60 rounds, I gave the rifle a good cleaning and oiled it per Noreen.

After cleaning it, I took it to the long-distance outdoor range (I can go up to 300 yards, but I stayed at 200 and below.)

During today's shoot of 60 rounds, the rifle functioned flawlessly using a variety of ammo. I shot 150, 165, and 180 gr, 20 rounds of each. It fully cycled each time, picked up a round, and I had a consistent eject pattern, which made it easy to collect my brass for reloading.

Fun factor –
It has a nice, light trigger and minimal felt recoil. This rifle was MADE to shoot. In days gone by, I would figure that, after shooting 120 rounds of .30-06 out of an 8 lb rifle in 4 days, my shoulder would be pretty sore and bruised. It’s not. Probably about the same as if I had run the same through my .450 bushmaster AR, if that.

Accuracy –
This rifle is well beyond my capabilities. As it’s been a long time since I have shot at distances over 100 yards, I'm fairly happy with my results. I was shooting bench rest, resting the rifle on my range bag. Next time out, I’ll have a bipod and maybe a sand bag or two, to get a good feel for the accuracy of the rifle itself. This time out, I was just looking to get it on the paper, which, as you can see, I did. These are not all the holes I put in the paper. These were the 'first takes' for each distance.

150 yards, the smaller holes are from my son’s Ruger AR556MPR

200 yards – all mine. Not bad for an old guy and essentially a rookie to distance shooting.
Old December 29, 2019, 02:25 AM   #2
ms6852

It is good to hear a positive report on this firearm as the 30-06 has alway been my favorite caliber. How long is the barrel?
Old December 29, 2019, 08:15 AM   #3
Henry400

It is a 22" barrel.