The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old February 9, 2019, 12:57 PM   #26
Gster

Lundmark Liquid Wax is the replacement for Johnsons. I still have 3 1/2 cans of the Johnsons left so I haven't had to try it yet. I use the 60/40 mixture and it works great.

This is the new formula for Lundmarks liquid floor wax.
30% LLA or Xlox /30% Lundmark Liquid Wax /40% Mineral Spirits.
Old February 9, 2019, 10:45 PM   #27
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I roll my G/c'ed 300 Savage tumble lube casts in Alox. I also found a tumbled coat of Alox on some Paper Patched cast quite often are very accurate not being re-sized what-so-ever. Yes Sir's. Some instances >Fat bullets Rule.
So gents ~~~"I would rather go with what I know."
At my age re-investing in powder coating tools? Not a good investment as the cost of would likely takes years of use to recoup ($). And I suspect in time such Powder coating tools will end up in a dumpster where as I can't say the same for a forged RCBS Lube-sizer II w/a draw full of lightly used Fl & Sb re-sizer dies. Every re-loader worth his salt should always be on the scout for a working Lube-Resizer. Just ask Beagle 333 how many Lube-resizers he has?
_________________"That's my story & I'm sticking to it! "
Old February 10, 2019, 12:06 AM   #28
dahermit

Powder coating tools = A toaster oven bought at a second hand store for $10, a #5 plastic container (salvaged from the garbage after eating the CoolWhip), some airsoft BB's. I used up my entire lifetime savings.
Old February 10, 2019, 09:39 AM   #29
Chainsaw.

See Im on the other end of the spectrum from dahermit in powder coating investment, I popped for the $12 toaster oven and a three pack of NEW tupperware AND the $3 bag of pony beeds at Michaels. That was a solid $20 day.
Old February 10, 2019, 09:52 AM   #30
Beagle333

Quote:
Just ask Beagle 333 how many Lube-resizers he has?
I have 10 lubesizers. And none of them are for sale. But I'm not giving up my PC equipment either. I have two sprayguns, one HF and one Caswell.

I think that PC, tumble lubes, and lubesizer grease will all keep my guns from leading up if applied properly. It just depends on which one you like to use and in my case.... the weather. I do my PC'ing outdoors and so I have to lubesize if the weather isn't warm and dry.
I do use quite a good bit of BLL (alox- floor wax base tumble lube) too. It would probably handle everything I shoot, but I just like using my sizers and also like the PC colors.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old February 11, 2019, 05:37 PM   #31
Grey_Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw. View Post
I popped for the $12 toaster oven and a three pack of NEW tupperware AND the $3 bag of pony beeds at Michaels. That was a solid $20 day.
See Chainsaw Splurge!

Splurge Chainsaw Splurge!!! - hehehehe

I didn't even buy the airsoft beads and the toaster > that my wife exiled from the kitchen counter..... nab!

I blew $9 at Harbor Freight for red & yellow thus far......
Old February 12, 2019, 11:30 AM   #32
Chainsaw.

Gey Lion, Im sure you already know but get some powder from Smoke over on cast boolits. Its far superior to HF power for coating bullets. His purchasing is done through pay pal so its a little odd, he might accept money orderes and..? Eastwood powders are a solid second choice.
Old February 12, 2019, 07:28 PM   #33
Beagle333

Smokes powders are the bomb. They coat great! For me, the blues cover easiest, but I use them all.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old February 13, 2019, 09:10 AM   #34
Grey_Lion

I've heard of Smoke's PC supplies and intend to go that route right after I've used up the HF stuff I have on hand.

These are my first trial steps into the world of powder coated ammo - just trying to make my first mistakes on the cheap as I build experience.......
Old March 30, 2019, 09:59 AM   #35
LOLBELL

I can’t bring my self to break out tubes of “red lipstick” to load in my revolvers whenever other men are around. Y’all PC all you want, I have no problem with a Lyman 450 or Ben’s Johnson Wax and Alex formula.
Old March 30, 2019, 01:31 PM   #36
USSR

Quote:
I can’t bring my self to break out tubes of “red lipstick” to load in my revolvers whenever other men are around. Y’all PC all you want, I have no problem with a Lyman 450 or Ben’s Johnson Wax and Alex formula.
Ditto.

Don
Old April 1, 2019, 08:16 AM   #37
Elkins45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gster View Post
Lundmark Liquid Wax is the replacement for Johnsons. I still have 3 1/2 cans of the Johnsons left so I haven't had to try it yet. I use the 60/40 mixture and it works great.

This is the new formula for Lundmarks liquid floor wax.
30% LLA or Xlox /30% Lundmark Liquid Wax /40% Mineral Spirits.
The first attempt to modify the LLA I recall was 45/45/10, also called Recluse lube after the inventor's Cast Bolts username. It was 45% LLA, 45% cooked down Johnson's Paste Wax and 10% mineral spirits. I like it just as well as BLL and all the ingredients are still easily available.

I have all the stuff to powder coat but haven't done it yet. I'm still experimenting with the Hi Tek coating.
Old April 1, 2019, 08:24 AM   #38
USSR

I recently bought White Label Lube's 45-45-10. Have yet to use it, but have found their other lubes to be great.

Don
Old April 1, 2019, 11:42 PM   #39
Chainsaw.

Ya dont HAVE to use red!!!!

There’s pinks, and purples, yellow, and fun blu....hey where’s everyone going!?