The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 20, 2011, 10:00 PM   #1
GURU1911

"gamo" air rifle scope

An elder at my church, asked for my assistance to help him locate a new 1" diameter fixed power scope for his old marlin .22 auto rifle. The receiver is 3/8" dovetail grooved. He only had $100 for scope, rings, & bases. So, off to "bass pro" to shop their fall classic store specials.

Found a 1" diameter, fixed 4-power compact scope, sold under the gamo brand name. It came with bases & rings and was < $50.00. The scope was built for heavy recoil adult size spring air rifles---which generate a lot of severe recoil toward the muzzle & will wreck the internals on those built for conventional rifles.

Got home, mounted it on the rifle, adjusted the eye relief, & bubble-leveled the horizontal cross hair. The first shot @ 25 yards, was only 12 clicks to the left of the "x" and the elevation was spot on. The next 3 shots made a cloverleaf in the center of the x you could easily cover with a dime !!!!

1/4" adjustment clicks could easily be heard & felt. Scope held it's zero. Visual clarity for such an inexpensive optic was very good. Duplex crosshairs were easily focused to the shooters eyes.

Guru1911

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"
Old October 21, 2011, 07:15 AM   #2
BrittB

I have one that I've been thinking about mounting on a .22. It might be a decent choice.
Old October 21, 2011, 07:54 AM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I am a proponent of air rifle scopes for "beater guns"... Sure... they are far from a Swarovski but the guns I put a cheap scope on are not of a quality level to warrant long range use anyway.

My .22 is wearing a Daisey labeled 3-9 power that has had minimal adjustment in 5 years and in that time was in an SUV rollover that broke the stock...

Brent