The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 6, 2018, 03:18 AM   #1
Dead-Nuts-Zero

Berrys Vs Rainier 9mm 124 gr FP plated Questions

Have loaded only Rainier plated for years but have about 2K Berrys I have hoarded for a decade or more. Got them out & I find the Berrys were slightly above the .355 that was consistent with Rainier.
Some Berrys were .356 & a few at .3565 but seemed to average .3555.

Currently shooting Raniers with 4 gr. Win 231 & very happy with results with well over 10K loaded & fired in my CZ-75b. Not sure I want to mess with the Berrys but I'm almost out of Rainiers & want to use them up.

Are simple changes in setup needed or are they about the same? If I recall correctly the bullet OAL is the same but the tapper is slightly different.

Anyone familiar with both bullets and what is your preference?
Old June 6, 2018, 10:22 AM   #2
pete2

I've loaded Berrys, Ranier, Everglades, bulletworks.com, RMR, I can't tell one from the other when shooting. I don't load max loads with plated bullets, your mileage may vary.
Old June 6, 2018, 10:48 AM   #3
tranders

I have loaded Berry's and Everglades plated 124 grain RN and can't tell a difference in how they shoot. I just like Pete2 ,never load plated projectiles at max velocities.
Old June 6, 2018, 12:30 PM   #4
kmw1954

D-N-Z. that 4.0gr of Win231 is exactly what I shoot the Berry's at. I'm shooting those from 2 different guns too. I too doubt the difference will be noticeable.
Old June 6, 2018, 03:38 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

DNZ,

A long as they aren't actually smaller in diameter than the groove diameter of your barrel, the throat will swage them down to size. Usually, up to about 0.002" oversize, there are no issues. I've seen some complaints about 0.003" oversize being accompanied by accuracy reduction, but other situations in which it was no problem, like in bullets sized to fit a .454" revolver chamber throat on a gun with a 0.451" barrel groove diameter.

If you are able to sort them by size, do so with some of them so you can see if your gun prefers one size over another with that same load. If so, segregate out all the bullets that turn out to be your gun's favorite size and save them for matches or to impress your friends, as you prefer.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 7, 2018, 10:47 AM   #6
m&p45acp10+1

I would use them. I by mistake loaded 250 of the 125 grain fp. For my 9mm. The problem is those bullets were .38 cal. I tried tbe plunk test with 20 and they worked. I shot all 250 out of 5 different guns. All fed just fine. Accuracy was just fine as well.