The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 17, 2018, 05:35 AM   #26
Mobuck

With so many excellent options for hunting bullets, WHY do folks have to ask this question?
I shoot stuff with Nosler 155 BTHP from a 308. Sometimes it works well=other times the stuff runs off requiring a difficult follow up. It's no biggie since most of the stuff isn't worth much with the fur prices so low. I tried this bullet on deer TWICE. Once was great. Second attempt was dismal failure. NO MORE. I have plenty of ammo designed to work well on game.
Old June 18, 2018, 10:27 AM   #27
Picher

I had been loading Hornady GMX solid copper bullets with plastic tips for a few years and they'd worked well until last season, when my son shot a small buck through the lungs at about 50 yards with his 30-06 and it went over 90 yards with a lung shot. Cleaning it out proved that the bullet didn't expand well.

Like a lot of bullets, sometimes the manufacturer gets it wrong and makes them a bit too hard. That happened to a buddy who used some Winchester Fail-Safe bullets in his .30-06 Thompson Center on an Elk in Colorado. He shot it at about 70 yards and the elk showed no signs of being hit. They waited a while, then followed it and shot it again, and again, and again. They followed it and shot it a few more times then lost it for the day.

They went back the next day and found it and shot it for the 7th time and it died. None of the "Fail Safes" succeeded...just pencelled-through the elk.

I would NEVER deliberately use either target or varmint bullets on deer or larger game! We sometimes have problems enough with the "right" bullets for game. Military, target, or varmint bullets should NEVER be used for medium to large game. It's hard enough to get good game bullets to act right.

I had a problem with the early Nosler Ballistic Tips in my .270 Win, when frustrated after missing a running shot at a nice buck, the next deer was a small doe standing broadside. The bullet blew-up scattering chest parts and lung tissue in a cone at least 10 feet behind the deer...which went over sideways with four feet in the air, which quivered for a couple of seconds.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This year, after accuracy testing, and some good comments from writers, I've purchased some new Winchester Deer Season ammo for both .243 Win and .270 Win and found them very accurate, the last time, making a 1/4" group with the .243 Win. They have a large plastic tip and, from what I've read, expand very well in deer-sized game.

JP
Old June 20, 2018, 05:24 PM   #28
hooligan1

I have since loaded 140 grn Accubonds for my deer hunting, and some 130 grn Berger's for anything else,.
I believe the RDF bullets would be fine for predators, who knows for deer, and great for practice and plinking.

Before anybody jumps off a house, realize that I have never to this date shot at or hit any deer or game animal with a target bullet.
Old June 21, 2018, 07:27 AM   #29
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Only thing hampering a RDF use on Big Game. >State Law hunting {bullet} restrictions and someone's common sense.
Old June 22, 2018, 05:17 AM   #30
Picher

There are no scoring rings on animals, so whether you hit within a half-inch of your aiming point or not, doesn't matter as much as having that bullet penetrate adequately, and preferably leaving a decent exit hole that will bleed, so you can find the animal in deep brush or woods.

A round/bullet that will group 2" at 100 yards doesn't sound like it would be accurate enough for you, but at that distance, the farthest away from aiming point that any round might be is only 1". Statistically, 66% of all bullets fired at that distance would be closer to 1/2" of the desired impact point.

If you can shoot an animal and tell whether it was hit within 1/2" of the aim point or not, you're either a better hunter/shooter than anyone in the world, or just a liar.

Bottom line: Use a darned bullet that is designed for the game you're after. A perfect lung shot that doesn't quickly kill and/or provide an adequate blood trail is NOT evidence of your skill as a hunter. It shows that you have little respect for the animal, or yourself as a hunter.
Old June 23, 2018, 12:22 PM   #31
Don Fischer

I have been using Hornady Spire Point/Inter lock for about 50 yrs now. Have never had one fail me! So long as people keep chasing the latest and greatest, bullet maker's will keep putting them out. We must be getting close to the round lead ball again! :-)