The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 9, 2018, 10:07 PM   #1
arcwarden

A Noob question on New Rifle

Hi guys, New guy here. Just bought my first rifle and because of the fact the gun ownership is new to me I just want to hear some recommendations for maintaining.

I bought the Tikka T3 Hunter, haven't shot it yet but was going to take it out this weekend which brings me to my first question.

What should I do before shooting it this weekend??

So this will get me out to shoot a few shots, hopefully get a box of ammo through before heading out for deer,

Is there anything I should do while going through a box of ammo, I have read posts of new gun ownership and the breaking in people do, is this required? Cleaning after ever third shot and stuff, sounds over kill but I bought this gun to last a lifetime.

And once I get home what steps do I have to take to ensure it won't rust, cleaning and oiling of all metal parts, drying of the stock, treatment of the wood?

If there is anything else people can recommend please lay it on me, like I said this is my first gun, got into hunting because I have a few friend that do it every year, not something I grew up with
Old May 9, 2018, 10:44 PM   #2
DnPRK

Tikka is a fine rifle.

Watch YouTube videos about gun safety, gun handling, marksmanship and cleaning. Watch several videos on each subject. If you have questions about what you see, come back here and ask. Sometimes you run across a video made by someone with wacky or unsafe ideas.
Old May 10, 2018, 12:22 AM   #3
riffraff

Haha someone is probably going to come through here and tell you that you are going to cruelly maim an animal due to poor shooting skills, and/or will shoot yourself or somebody else unless you take a safety course and practice for 6 months ..

Did you at least take a hunters safety course? Is fairly typical, even in free states, to need one in order to get a license. If not it's a great idea they teach not just hunting safety but hunting basics, taught by hunters.

Most likely along with that gun they stuffed a gun safety brochure into the bag somewhere - Read it.

You have a user manual - it will cover not only safety related items but specifics of operation, cleaning, whether they want a break in procedure, all the basic ins and outs of the specific model you've got. Read it.

Join the NRA - it's $30, there is no excuse not to, if it wasn't for the organization you probably would not have been able to go buy that rifle in the first place (or as easily as you did anyway).

If you are really new to guns you should bring someone with you to shoot, one who is the responsible type to teach you basics.

If you are going to be shooting just out in the woods someplace make sure you fully understand what is a safe place to shoot - ie bullets can go a long long way if nothing stops them, and they can also bounce off things and come back at you - "ricochet"..

Basic safety gear - ear and eye protection, real simple - a quick trip through the gun isle at Walmart will have you covered for $30.

My recommendation is do not skimp on the cleaning kit - get a 1 piece rod that sized for your rifle in size & length, then if you want to get all the attachments in a Walmart grade cleaning kit that's all fine & good, but start with a good rod.

Have fun, good luck, and be safe!
Old May 10, 2018, 01:25 AM   #4
mellow_c

Just a heads up. . .

I'm sure this thread will be moved to the "Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action" section of the forum, as this is the "Semi-automatics" section.

I've never gone through any specific break in procedure with any rifle I've ever owned... And I've shot some great groups with those same rifles. You'll hear both sides (It does not matter...*or*... It is essential) It's up to you... It couldn't hurt, and might even help, but if you don't, You'll be just fine.

What you SHOULD do for SURE, is clean and lube the rifle before your first time out shooting. It's just a good practice to clean and lube any new or used firearm before shooting it for the first time.

For long term storage, after a trip to the range, or after a hunting trip, I tend to bring my firearms back to the same level of clean, but it's up to you to determine how much attention that requires depending on how much shooting was done and what level of contamination the firearm experienced during it's Journey.

For a bolt action rifle, clean the bore and chamber well with solvent or CLP or whatever you choose, brushes, patches, whatever, just get it clean. Then run a couple patches with oil or CLP down the bore and finish with a dry patch. Make sure to do something similar with the action of the gun and the bolt... The action doesn't tend to get very dirty so you may not even need to use a solvent except for maybe on the bolt face, but I would recommend using oil or CLP on all those areas. Just wipe everything down real well. You can leave some lube behind for extra protection. Feel free to lightly lube the bolt face as well, but wipe it pretty much dry after (A thin film of oil wont hurt anything). I personally use Q-tips for a LOT of my cleaning, and rags and paper towels for large areas. As far as the rest of the rifle is concerned, just wipe down all metal parts with a thin coat of oil and your done.

You shouldn't need to pay any special attention to the stock. Most modern wood stocks have some sort of protective finish over the wood, as opposed to an oil finish. Just wipe the stock clean with dry rags, or maybe a slightly damp rag and then dry it.

If you feel like moisture or other dirt and debris may have collected between the action/barrel and the stock, you can remove the action from the stock and clean all the internals just the same... Q-tips, oil, CLP, wipe things clean etc. Sometimes I'll use Q-tips to put a thin film of lube on trigger parts and other things just as a bit of added corrosion protection, although most of that stuff has some form of grease or whatever on it from the factory. All that stuff doesn't get dirty very easily, so just keep it fairly clean and do your best to make sure everything is properly (not overly) lubricated and and functioning correctly.

It's really pretty basic and hard to do anything wrong as long as you take your time and don't use any harsh cleaners that might eat away at different finishes on the gun or the stock.

Every single firearm is different in the way you clean and lubricate them. Just make sure to clean things well and to put a bit of lubricant on all the contact and wear points and a light film of oil/CLP on all metal parts (This all isn't necessarily necessary as some people live in very dry areas and or just don't care about if a firearm gets dirty or grungy or rusty or whatever, but to get the most out of a firearm, it's just good practice) and you'll be fine.

Most importantly, spend some time really beating in to your brain all the important safety aspects of handling and operating a firearm. One thing I've heard and like to tell people is to imagine there is an infinitely long laser that will disintegrate anything it passes that extends from the muzzle of the gun on through infinity. So if the muzzle passes over your foot, you just cut your foot off, If it's pointed at the road, any car that might drive by will be destroyed including anyone in it, if it sweeps past your friend, then you just cut your friend in half... So just keep it pointed in a safe direction AT ALL TIMES... Add this to all the other very important safety points (You might already know them, if not, look them up and practice them always) and then, focus on the discipline of good marksmanship.

Here is my number one tip for accurate shooting. DONT FLINCH!!!

Keep your sights on the target, apply slow and increasing pressure to the trigger until the trigger breaks, and let the shot hit right where you are aiming. Don't anticipate the shot, don't anticipate the recoil, just don't move! Let the gun do its thing and don't interrupt it by being afraid and moving things around just as you pull the trigger. Stay calm and relaxed and let the rifle and ammunition do their job.
There are lots of ways to practice this and lots of different triggers to get used to, but the basics apply to all of them the same. It can be a very hard thing for some people to master, because lets face it... there is an explosion happening directly in front of your face so the natural reaction is to either get away from it or "Brace for impact!" But the right thing to do is... nothing... Just slowly squeeze/press/pull the trigger until it breaks, let it surprise you. After you've gotten used to a particular firearm and how the trigger feels and works, you can eventually become faster and more deliberate with each pull, but don't get sloppy and start flinching/anticipating recoil etc. I cant tell you how many guys I've seen at the range shooting hand guns that they thought were inaccurate or were shooting low and left or whatever direction because they would flinch or "Brace for impact" with each shot, only for me to give the gun a try and put all my shots in a nice tinny group right in the center of the target.
It took me a little while to learn all this through my own reading and realizations but once I understood it, everything clicked, and now shooting accurately with pretty much any firearm is fairly easy and extremely enjoyable!

Be safe, good luck and Enjoy!

P.S. Also everything in the two posts above... and probably whatever is said in the posts that will eventually be bellow

Last edited by mellow_c; May 11, 2018 at 11:35 AM.
Old May 10, 2018, 12:14 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

Clean it before shooting it. All new firearms come coated in a rust preventative. Needs to come off. No oil or anything else in the barrel for shooting either. When you clean it after shooting(there's no big rush for that) and you plan on storing it for a while, put a light layer of oil in the barrel.
Go to a discount fabric shop and buy a couple yards of remnant flannelette and cut it into 2 x 4 patches(for .30 calibre.). Way less expensive than any firearm stuff company's blister packs. One yard 45" wide gives you hundreds of patches for around $10.
"...a box of ammo through before heading out for deer..." One box won't be enough. If you're not reloading, you need to try a box of as many brands and bullet weights as you can to find the ammo that rifle shoots best.
The chambering will matter as to getting close to the best bullet weight. A .308 or .30-06, for example, will love a 165 grain hunting bullet. Which brand doesn't matter much. A 165 will kill any game you care to hunt.
Old May 10, 2018, 04:03 PM   #6
Danoobie

Clean the rifle. Be sure to clean it from the chamber end.
(unloaded, follow directions for bolt removal, it's easy). Lightly oil the bore when
you are done cleaning it.

Have fun. Don't overthink it. Tikka is a fine rifle. When you are done shooting,
clean it again.

Join the NRA, when you get the chance.
Old May 10, 2018, 04:24 PM   #7
lordvader

I would give you advice on all the do's and don'ts of cleaning, hunting, and maintaining a firearm, but I would have to write you an essay. So just follow what everyone on here has advised you to do, and you should be just fine. Good luck and stay safe.
Old May 10, 2018, 04:57 PM   #8
Mike38

As for bore "break in" you'll get 20 different opinions from it's not needed to elaborate plans. Personally, I break in the bore on all new guns. Clean the bore then dry it. Shoot one round, then clean and dry again. Shoot two rounds, clean and dry again. Three rounds.... four rounds..... five rounds.... you get it. You've now shot 15 rounds. You're done with break in. Shoot and enjoy.
Old May 10, 2018, 08:20 PM   #9
sparkyv

Wow mellow_c, that was a nice treatise! Well done, sir.
Old May 10, 2018, 11:29 PM   #10
Water-Man

No break-in is necessary. Clean it, shoot it and repeat.

You have one of the better rifles available. Good luck with it.
Old May 11, 2018, 04:20 AM   #11
std7mag

Welcome to the forum.
You picked a great rifle to be your first.

Basic gun safety. Along with trigger time. Hunting groundhogs, along with coyotes if you know someone with that rifle and varmint rounds will really help.

Suggested watching would be sniper101 on the Tube. Find the section on breaking in a barrel.
Some will tell you that you need to scrub every molicule of copper out of the barrel. Personally i leave the copper in.

Be safe and enjoy yourself.

Std7mag
Old May 11, 2018, 10:29 AM   #12
Tallest

I would look at "break in" not as something you deliberately do to the rifle. Rather, consider it a waiting period in which you don't get frustrated with its inconsistencies.

I've found with most of the newer rifles I have bought, that it takes about 1-3 boxes of ammo to find the sweet spot. That is NOT to say that it won't be minute-of-deer after 5-10 shots to zero or sights/optic. But I don't get disappointed with mediocre accuracy until I'm 60-100 rounds in.

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old May 11, 2018, 11:27 AM   #13
mellow_c

Thank you very much sparkyv!

Questions for the OP...

What scope will you be using with this rifle?

What caliber did you choose?
Old May 11, 2018, 12:17 PM   #14
Wendyj

I have 4 Tikkas now. I do clean the lube that is in the barrel when shipped. I have never gone through a break in with any other than the first one I bought. Groups are all sub moa out of every rifle with right ammo. I am very fond of all my Tikka rifles and wouldn't trade them for anything. I do take apart and set the trigger to it's lowest weight on all mine. Hunting or bench I want the same trigger pull. You may find that groups get better after a box or so of ammo ran through them. Mine surprises me more each range trip of how good it shoots. I have the Hunter in a 7mm Magnum. Also own a 7-08 and a bench model 6.5 Creedmoor that shoots lights out groups. If you bought one with any recoil at all Optics Planet has really nice limb saver recoil pads I bought for all mine.
Old May 11, 2018, 02:05 PM   #15
jimbob86

Quote:
Here is my number one tip for accurate shooting. DONT FLINCH!!!

Keep your sights on the target, apply slow and increasing pressure to the trigger until the trigger breaks, and let the shot hit right where you are aiming. Don't anticipate the shot, don't anticipate the recoil, just don't move! Let the gun do its thing and don't interrupt it by being afraid and moving things around just as you pull the trigger. Stay calm and relaxed and let the rifle and ammunition do their job.
There are lots of ways to practice this and lots of different triggers to get used to, but the basics apply to all of them the same. It can be a very hard thing for some people to master, because lets face it... there is an explosion happening directly in front of your face so the natural reaction is to either get away from it or "Brace for impact!" But the right thing to do is... nothing... Just slowly squeeze/press/pull the trigger until it breaks, let it surprise you. After you've gotten used to a particular firearm and how the trigger feels and works, you can eventually become faster and more deliberate with each pull, but don't get sloppy and start flinching/anticipating recoil etc. I cant tell you how many guys I've seen at the range shooting hand guns that they thought were inaccurate or were shooting low and left or whatever direction because they would flinch or "Brace for impact" with each shot, only for me to give the gun a try and put all my shots in a nice tinny group right in the center of the target.
Well stated, mellow!

I would add that practice will make you a better shot. Live or Dry, fire your gun to get better at firing your gun.
Old May 25, 2018, 08:55 AM   #16
Picher

I agree with about everything already posted...especially "Clean the bore" before shooting. Also, torque the action screws to the recommended values. If you don't have a torque wrench, tighten to less than crush, but firm.

When you shoot, feel the barrel every 3-5 shots to see if it's too hot to hold. If it is, let it cool.

Get some Turtle Wax liquid auto polish and use it on all metal parts except the bore. Also, do the stock...inside and out. That will protect from rust and minimize moisture from rotting the wood, especially when taken out hunting in the rain. After using bore cleaner, run a dry patch, then another with Break-Free to keep the bore protected from rust. Cleaners don't protect against rust!

Always clean the bore before after shooting and before putting the rifle away in the cabinet or closet. Don't store rifles in cases and don't store cases in moist basements, like I've seen some people do. (One customer's nearly new gun had a film of rust in just three hours of sitting in a hot trunk.)
Old May 25, 2018, 12:05 PM   #17
spacemanspiff

What should you do with your new rifle?

Take it to the range and have lots of fun learning a new hobby/skillset!

You already got a few paces ahead by finding this forum, now go buy some cleaning kits and dozen other accessories/doodads you didnt know existed.
Old May 25, 2018, 07:11 PM   #18
johnwilliamson062

I would recommend RIG grease on all metal parts over turtle wax.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
Old May 28, 2018, 12:21 PM   #19
Buzzcook

Zero in the scope.
Old May 29, 2018, 05:15 AM   #20
Picher

It was suggested to lube the bolt face. Be very careful about lubing the bolt face and firing pin. Use dry lube inside the bolt and keep oils off the boltface to keep primers dry. Oiling inside the bolt can cause primers to be killed when carrying the rifle muzzle-down when hunting.
Old May 29, 2018, 03:53 PM   #21
2ndtimer

Is the scope bore-sighted? After cleaning the rifle, as others have said, I suggest shooting initially at 50 yards to make sure you are on paper, then move out to 100 yards to fine tune your point of impact. ( Preferably from a steady rest). Once you are sighted in, then you can practice from field positions, prone, kneeling, sitting and standing. Keep practicing until you can reliably keep 3 shots on a pie plate at whatever range you are shooting at. I think it will take more than a couple of boxes of ammo to get there, even with legendary Tikka accuracy.
Hope you can find someone who is experienced to go with you, as that would be very helpful.
Old May 29, 2018, 06:31 PM   #22
doubleh

My choice for outside rust protection is ordinary Johnson's paste wax. The stuff in the yellow can that will last you most of your life unless you have a tremendous number of guns. Then it might last half your life. I started using it in the late '60's after getting tired of finding rust after depending on oil for protection. I use it on wood and metal and it works.
Old June 1, 2018, 03:10 AM   #23
cje1980

I'm a huge fan of Tikkas and now all of my centerfire bolt actions are Tikkas. I own a Tikka T3 Hunter in 300 WM. It's a very nice rifle. The only thing you would really have to do is clean the rifle per the instructions, mount a scope, and zero the scope. Main thing is try to keep the barrel from heating up too much. That is how you can damage your rifle's throat. Make sure you allow enough time between shot strings to keep the barrel cool. Tough to do this time of year. This is especially a good reason why its handy to bring a 22 rifle with you so you can keep plinking while your big rifle is cooling down. Most importantly be safe and have fun. Don't point your rifle at other people (I see newbies do this all the time at the range). Keep it pointed down range and keep the action open when not in use.