The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 13, 2017, 11:39 PM   #1
MEuler

190 gr. Hawk .30 Caliber bullets

Does anyone have any information on ballistics, accuracy, and ease of loading hawk 190 gr. bullets for a .30-30. Will be shot out of a Glenfield Model 30A.
Old June 14, 2017, 12:49 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond or not covered by currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

No real world information. If I make estimates of the bullet length of about 1.1 to 1.2 inches (depends whose design I start with), QuickLOAD thinks IMR 3031 might get it to about 2000-2050 fps from a 22" tube, depending on capacity assumptions I make, using about 9% less powder than a 170 grain Sierra FP does to reach the same peak pressure (because of the greater mass and lower powder space). But you'd have to work loads up yourself to really know. G1 BC (the usual one published) will be around 0.210 to 2.25 (again depends whose design you start with) if you want to run ballistics tables from those estimates. The JBM site has free ones to use.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 14, 2017, 02:01 PM   #3
MEuler

Thank you UncleNick