The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 5, 2013, 12:51 AM   #1
sirdiealot

newbie screw up

well hell just started getting into reloading...havnt actually loaded anything yet still reading but today when i was out picking up ammo for my 40 s&w i got today i saw they had large pistol primers so i picked some up. 1000 for 46.00 otd not sure if that a good price or not but whatever. the only dies i have are for my 45acp and part of the stuff i traded the guy for the 40s&w was 100rds of 45ammo. its blazer brass and was on another site and found out that blazer brass uses small primers. so was gonna use the primers i bought for both the 40 and 45. now i find out it wont work for any of the damn brass i have lol. what a day. is what i have said true is the blazer brass small pistol primer and the 40 also uses small primer

...Wildly popular all over the world, mostly in countries where people don’t carry guns, and cops don’t have to actually shoot people with theirs.
Old February 5, 2013, 01:30 AM   #2
huntinaz

It depends, blazer makes both small and large pockets. The 40 will all use small pistol. Try Backpage, you can probably trade someone for what you need.
Old February 5, 2013, 11:20 PM   #3
serf 'rett

All small primer in the 40S&W. Your reloading manuals would have shown this.

The surprise would be the 45ACP, which normally uses large pistol primer; however, some brass is now being made with small primer pockets.

I future posts, please try to use proper punctuation. It vastly improves readability, which helps others to help you.

Last edited by serf 'rett; February 5, 2013 at 11:27 PM.
Old February 5, 2013, 11:32 PM   #4
Misssissippi Dave

Nearly half of my .45 brass is Federal Champion. It takes small pistol primers. Everything else I have takes the large primers. As stated, .40 takes small pistol primers. $46 per 1k seems rather expensive to me. I do buy in bulk on line so the prices I pay are lower. Right now it is hard to find primers on line. When you do find them, you need to order several thousand at a time to off set the shipping and HAZ-MAT charges. I normally get 10k or more at a time and that gets me better rates even with all the other fees added.
Old February 5, 2013, 11:36 PM   #5
serf 'rett

The $46.00/1K is better than my local gun store at $4.99/100 but more costly than online vendors; such as, last stock price at Powder Valley was $26.00 for CCI or $21.00 for Tula large pistol. Online orders must pay hazmat fees, so it's best to purchase locally unless you can order larger quanities.
Old February 5, 2013, 11:57 PM   #6
Texas Range Ammo

45 acp small primers

When given the opportunity to address an employee of Blazer or Federal at a sponsored event,

we should take the opportunity to tell them THANKS FOR NOTHING !

Several manufacturers have attempted to "save a nickel", by using not-to-specification components that function in our equipment.

They should not be able to label the box 45 Auto if it has small primers.

but for the non reloader crowd, they don't care.

So far,,, I don't stumble on to much of it,,, but it's out there,,,

until I gather enough,,, i just pile them aside and ignore them,,,,
Old February 6, 2013, 11:42 AM   #7
rlc323

Yes $46 for 1000 is high. But a sign of the times these days. Retailers are not sure if they will have to pay more to replace those they sell, or if they can even get them to stock.

Gander Mt. here has them for $37 for 1000 and I always thought they were the highest place on earth.
Old February 6, 2013, 12:52 PM   #8
sirdiealot

now us just need to find some 40sw dies lol and i guess some small pistol primers. Oh well dont know why i didnt think that 40 would take small primers. like i said im new at this. hell havnt even loaded my first shell just buying stuff to do it.

...Wildly popular all over the world, mostly in countries where people don’t carry guns, and cops don’t have to actually shoot people with theirs.