The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old January 8, 2007, 01:02 AM   #1
Link

IDPA - Anybody Familiar?

There's a local shooting group affiliated with the IDPA that I'm interested in getting involved with.

I'm looking for any tips, advice, basically anything helpful for participating in these type of matches. What should I expect?

I'm planning on using my Taurus PT92 in either a paddle or IWB holster. I realize this is not best choice for concealability, but I shoot better with it than my PT111 or 85 CH revolver.

Please don't tell me I need a 1911 or a Sig. I'm only interested in constructive info from people who have actually participated in IDPA type events that might have something to add to my beginner experience. Thanks in advance...
Old January 8, 2007, 08:02 AM   #2
Deaf Smith

What you have is all you need. I presume you have a holster and spare mag carrier. Go and shoot the matches. The Taurus is pleny good.
Old January 8, 2007, 07:10 PM   #3
Pistolman1974

I would use what you carry in idpa competition and dress as close as you can to your normal dress. It's an eye opener.
Old January 9, 2007, 02:59 AM   #4
Electronrider

http://www.idpa.com

They have all their rules and regs in a nice PDF format.

If your interested in some different shoots, go to Utube and search for IDPA

My brother and I are going to start this spring, we cant wait to check it out!
Old January 9, 2007, 07:27 AM   #5
18DAI

I just started participating in October. I've shot 5 matches so far, and I'm addicted. I shot the first 3 with my HK USPF 40, 1 with my HK USPF 45, and the last one with my S&W 4516-3. I intend to try it with my S&W M-66 revolver next. The folks who show up are kind, knowlegeable, and helpful. The emphasis is on safety first, then having fun. I've not heard a harsh word from anyone, and see lots of encouragement for new shooters. I've shot for 38 years, and been to several schools, and have learned alot by playing in these games. It's not training, but it is great gunhandling, and shooting under pressure (timer) practice. Enjoy it. Regards 18DAI.
Old January 9, 2007, 07:45 AM   #6
blume357

I've never participated, but did go to my club and watch,

seemed like the folks were having a good time. The competition is more against yourself than others but you do get to see how folks that are good do.

Just remember you need extra mags, mag holder and LOTS of ammo.
Old January 9, 2007, 03:02 PM   #7
RickB

My club has a FAQs page at its website, including a "what to expect at your first match". There's also a short (unofficial) history of IDPA, and some other stuff that might be of interest. http://www.nwppa-idpa.com/
Old January 9, 2007, 06:59 PM   #8
WestWorld

If they do IDPA maybe they also have IPSC www.uspsa.org or steel matches as well. I just got involved this fall myself... it is all fun. Adds a new aspect to just punching holes in paper.

I've shot my .22's in steel, revovlers in IPSC and semi-auto's in IDPA. If your local club is anything like mine, just grab you gear and some common sense and head out to a match. The regulars will hold your hand at first.
Old January 9, 2007, 07:21 PM   #9
GoSlash27

If it's anything like ours, it will be very fun, informal, and free of "gamesmanship".
The advice I can give (what little it's worth):
*Accuracy doesn't count for much. Get 2 holes in the BG as quickly as you can. If you can get 2 holes in the -1 area that's good enough.
*Practice the anciliary movements. Much of your time will consist of exchanging magazines with a baby doll in your arms while running and other assorted insanity. Train your hands to automatically draw & present, exchange magazines with retention, navigate your gear,etc until it becomes as second-nature as tying your shoes. Learn to do weird stuff like picking up your sidearm with your weak hand.
* Train like you fight. Use torso targets at the range and add cover and movement if at all possible. Don't be timid about sending a few more rounds in order to make sure you've stopped the threat.
* Start thinking tactically. Air-gunning is generally considered bad form; you're supposed to think on your feet. Use the cover, learn to count your shots, recognizing when to tactically engage and when to "slice the pie".
*If you don't have the safety rules ingrained in your behavior, brush up on 'em. The range officer will generally keep you out of trouble, but you can't count on him/her to save you from your own bad habits. Booger-hook off the bang-switch at all times unless you're going to pull it. Keep the muzzle where it belongs.
* BG recognition: Spot the shape and look for hands. Penalties aren't as bad as the embarassment of unloading on granny in front of these guys.

Most of all, just have fun with it and use it as a learning experience.

That's way more than $0.02...
Old January 10, 2007, 12:57 PM   #10
RickB

"Accuracy doesn't count for much. Get 2 holes in the BG as quickly as you can. If you can get 2 holes in the -1 area that's good enough."

The advice that I give, is shoot as fast as you can, without dropping any points. Get two -0 hits, no matter how long it takes. For a beginner, I can just about guarantee you will score better with that approach. There is much more time to be "saved" when you are not shooting than when you are, so take the .1-.2 second per shot to get good hits, and work to save whole seconds on your movement, reloads, draw, and other techniques.
Old January 11, 2007, 07:11 AM   #11
Joe D

First of all you need either a Sig or 1911. Beyond that be safe and have fun. My wife and I shoot an IPDA or IPSC match every weekend. We pretty much prefer IDPA.
Don't shoot too fast - aim for 0 points down. I hate to say this but IPSC and IDPA don't compliment each other. In IPSC it's all about speed. IDPA is more about accuracy. I have seen many Master class IPSC shooters do poorly in IDPA. Same can be said for Master class IDPA shooters in IPSC.
Old January 13, 2007, 10:28 PM   #12
HiPowering Along

Location: PA - Land of taxes, potholes and unfortunately Ed "Gun Grabbin' Fast Eddie" Rendell
I've got a 1911 that's a Sig - get one like that and take care of it in one shot! <joking!>

Link - what you have'll do fine. Just have fun at it. If you haven't shot with any of the group yet, expect a new shooter safety briefing your first time there. Take a long tail button shirt if you don't have a jacket or vest to wear for concealment.

www.eastontacticalops.com has lots of info on what to expect, what to do, what not to do, etc. on their webpage. It's a good starter for a new shooter.

Welcome to the club! It's a fun bunch that I shoot with, have learned much, and plan on keeping up on the shooting. Enjoy!

HP'ing Along
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." - One of the greatest sentences ever written into an instrument of democracy.
Old January 13, 2007, 10:31 PM   #13
HiPowering Along

Location: PA - Land of taxes, potholes and unfortunately Ed "Gun Grabbin' Fast Eddie" Rendell
Quote:
* BG recognition: Spot the shape and look for hands. Penalties aren't as bad as the embarassment of unloading on granny in front of these guys.
GoSlash, sounds like you're also a member of "oh the h#ll with it, hose 'em all" club.....

Forgot glasses one match and couldn't see small objects....the shoothouse targets got hosed, and I wasn't stingy about the ammo count, either!
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." - One of the greatest sentences ever written into an instrument of democracy.
Old January 25, 2007, 11:26 AM   #14
O6nop

If they don't already set it up that way, ask to be one of the last shooters in a group, so you can develop a strategy for the course and see the more experienced people handle the course.
Also, it was suggested to me to get a magazine brush, one that will quickly remove dust, dirt, etc. from the magazine because the emptied mags usually end up on the ground. I haven't found anyone that sells them, though. Hoping someone here might know.

I'm a beginner too and really want to do it some more, but the range I was going to moved to a new location several miles further away.
Old January 26, 2007, 06:11 PM   #15
Sam815

I believe Arredondo Accessories makes a mag brush.I would try their website: www.arredondoaccessories.com. Hope this helps.
Old January 27, 2007, 09:29 AM   #16
WESHOOT2

magazine brushes

KLEEN-BORE, available from www.brownells.com
Old February 4, 2007, 01:30 PM   #17
mohican

Is useful a Walther P99 for IDPA?

Hi, guys, do you think i could start practicing IDPA with a Walther P99 and a Fobus holster?
Do you know if there is any club in Spain to practice IDPA?
Old February 4, 2007, 07:09 PM   #18
poortrader

If there isn't IDPA, you should be able to find an IPSC club in Spain.

NRA Life Member
Old February 10, 2007, 08:09 AM   #19
Jeff22

IDPA and IPSC shooting

IDPA and IPSC shooting --

Both disciplines really have more similarities that differences.

IDPA is more structured and the scoring system generally emphasizes accuracy over speed. IMHO it's a good place for a beginner to start. It also has simpler, more realistic courses of fire, and is oriented more toward the defensive shooter. (A lot of IDPA matches are very specific in procedure, the intention being to test specific techniques under specific circumstances. In that way, they're like a police or military qualification course)

IPSC has less structure and the scoring system slightly emphasizes speed over accuracy. It's a good place to learn dynamic shooting skills. Some of the courses are complex and require lots of movement, and IPSC is oriented more toward the shooter who's interest is primarily just in competition. (IPSC procedure is usually "freestyle" and leaves you great lattitude in how to solve the particular marksmanship problem presented)

I shoot both and enjoy both. IDPA is more in line with my personal preferences. (I'm a cop and usually compete with whatever is my duty gun at the time) I started shooting local IPSC matches in 1978 and IDPA matches in 2001.

If you do elect to start competing in IDPA, watch to see if any of the USPSA clubs around you offer special classifier matches. IDPA has a classifier match which is a very good test of basic skills. USPSA has multiple different classification stages that are used for the same purpose. Once you are a USPSA member and have shot at least four classifiers in any particular division, you will have earned a classification in that division. The USPSA classifiers are also great tests of basic skills. (www.uspsa.org -- if you click on the "additional content" button on the left toolbar and then go exploring on the page that pops up, you'll be able to see classifier stage diagrams)

A lot depends on who is designing matches at your local club. Some clubs like to keep it simple (more my preference) and some clubs like to have long complicated courses of fire requiring 20+ rounds and lots of movement (which can be great fun but aren't realistic)

It just depends on what kind of experience you are looking for and what kind of clubs are located in your area. Chances are, you'll do some shooting in both, once you become familiar. That seems to be the way it usually works for most shooters.

Some clubs post some or all of the stages for the upcoming match on their website. This allows you to see what to practice in advance, and you can print off copies of the course of fire for future reference. And if a bunch of the stages for the match that month don't coincide with what you're trying to accomplish, or if they're badly designed, you are forwarned and you can skip the match that month and do something else . . .

Your Taurus pistol will work in "Stock Service Pistol" (SSP) class in IDPA and in "production" class in IPSC. (In both cases, you will be limited to loading your magazines to a maximum of 10 rounds)