The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old Yesterday, 11:30 AM   #26
HiBC

From common cartridges such as the 7mm Rem Mag,30-06,etc,expanding bullets,I've seen horrendous wound channels.
When EVERYTHING in the chest cavity is soup,and about 70% of the bullet is recovered...What else is going on?
Even my little 257 AI makes football size cavities of destruction.
I got away from the 7mm Rem because I hate trimming bloodshot meat.
I've seen chest/shoulder shots make chocolate pudding clot up in the backstraps of a pronghorn.

The skin of a plastic jug is a lot tougher than mortal tissue,short of some bone and sinew.

What happens to a water jug hit with a 270/30-06/7mm Rem? It gets destroyed.
Internal high velocity water hammer. The kind of hard water you feel when you jump in the water with a belly flop.Pressure washers and water jet cutters CUT. That bullet does to the water what a pool cue ball does to the racked balls in a break.

I've seen prairie dogs do about the same as a grapefruit would.Bits and chunks hanging on the sage.
And no,it does not go that way with a 77 gr BTHP that passes through like an icepick.

If you shoot an arrow into a pond,no big deal.A big rock makes a ker-ploosh and a splash.

The water has to get accelerated .

I can't say for sure,but IMO,you get SOME at about 2000 fps,enough to matter 2400 fps plus,but that is tempered by a LOT of variables.

That RPM thing,I've thought about.180,000 or 200,000 RPM seems like it ought to be a buzz saw....but,really,I don't think so.Think of the twist rate. One in 10 inches? Well,thats one twist of the bullet as it goes through the lungs.I know it more complex,but that's a perspective on it.

Last edited by HiBC; Yesterday at 11:37 AM.