The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 26, 2006, 07:10 PM   #101
REELZARUBA

hiding places

I bought a/c grills at my old house and made boxes 4" deep to fit in the stud walls, and placed them up towards the cieling line like the old wall registers. That way they were high enough the boys couldnt reach them but low enough my wife could. The grill stayed on with a rubberband. Was there 11 years and no one ever knew.
Old October 26, 2006, 08:50 PM   #102
JJB2

glenn bartley that was my thoughts when i started reading this thread too..........
Old October 30, 2006, 08:25 AM   #103
paramedic70002

I tried to hollow out an old encyclopedia, almost made a real mess. Sprayed glue on the edges, another mess. Gave up. Somebody sells these already done. Same with a coffee table, saw one for sale with a hidden gun drawer. Have 2 cheap plastic countertop push button safes. Wife spilt soda into one. Ruined. Screwed up the combination in the other. Didn't take long to push out the hinge pins! Oh well, it'll do until the kids get a little older.

Good advice I heard: Don't hide it in the first, second, third or fourth place you think about.

Twilight zone: One day last week I was off work, my partner went to a sick call (EMS) and the caller told them the patient was in lthe last room on the left. He looked, there WAS NO room on the left. "Oh yeah, hold on." Caller reaches up to the ceiling and pushed a tile in. Wall panel pops open to a hidden bedroom.

I've always wanted to build a home with secret passageways, storage and such. Maybe a ladder going from up to down bedroom closets with trapdoor.
Old November 10, 2006, 02:21 PM   #104
Hal8000

Indicator guns

While most of my firearms are in my safe, I have the usual few scattered out and hidden in strategic locations similar to those already mentioned. To add confusion to the would be thief, I give him what he wants, upfront. To "express myself" I have several desirable nonfunctioning/unloaded firearms in plain sight as an art form. Upon arriving home, It's easy to see if any of these are moved or missing, which would indicate that someone unwelcome has entered my home.
If any of my "indicator guns" where disturbed/missing upon my arrival, I'd back out and call the Sheriff.
Old November 10, 2006, 11:06 PM   #105
wayneinFL

Ever thought of using an electrical box? I keep a spare set of keys in a dummy electrical disconnect box outside my house.

You could do the same indoors too. You could put an empty service panel in a bedroom or closet and it wouldn't look out of place.
Old November 12, 2006, 09:32 AM   #106
joab

I like that one Wayne

I just came into possession of about fifty of those boxes
Old November 12, 2006, 11:20 AM   #107
shamus005

I haven't read this one:

A/C vents/ducts/intakes. Usually A/C vents are mounted high and require a stool or ladder to get access. Unscrew panel, tuck in gun, replace panel.
Old November 12, 2006, 01:08 PM   #108
revjen45

I hide the guns I don't cay regularly in my gun safe. The ones I do carry regularly are hidden on my person. Every so often my wife has to sew up the holes the front sight leaves in the pocket of my bathrobe. When I open the door I have my hand in the pocket. Hugh Hefner is given to elegant robes and silk pajamas for house wear- I wear a food-splattered terry cloth robe and sweat pants. A .38 snubbie in each pocket balances the weight.
Old November 12, 2006, 03:27 PM   #109
AmesJainchill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal8000
While most of my firearms are in my safe, I have the usual few scattered out and hidden in strategic locations similar to those already mentioned. To add confusion to the would be thief, I give him what he wants, upfront. To "express myself" I have several desirable nonfunctioning/unloaded firearms in plain sight as an art form. Upon arriving home, It's easy to see if any of these are moved or missing, which would indicate that someone unwelcome has entered my home.
If any of my "indicator guns" where disturbed/missing upon my arrival, I'd back out and call the Sheriff.
Interesting idea. I'd go for replicas or something myself.
Old November 12, 2006, 03:53 PM   #110
Country

Guys and gals, I have really enjoyed reading your posts.

As I read through them I kept thinking about druggies, they know all the hiding places because they are hiding their stash from the law and other users, there has only been one person post on this. And many of these hiding places would be used by druggies. I see that I need to invest in a good solid safe to keep non protection guns in and protection close at hand.

I like the idea of having items that a BG would disturb that is visible when the front door is opened.

I like a good sound sleep, so I finally got a dog. She is very alert and quickly comes to my room if there is anything going on. From that moment I take over.
Side note: I fill sorry for the BG that is in our home if he is standing between the front door and her bowl, she would knock him on his butt and I would keep him there.
Old November 15, 2006, 06:29 PM   #111
golden eye

I have 4 kids in the house so a stash spot is next to impossible. I would like to find a place next to my bed, somewhere that I can get the gun out quick but where my kids wont ever think of looking. I don't even keep the gun loaded. I keep the clip in a drawer of the desk and the gun is in a locked strong box in the closet. If there ever is an intruder, I hope he is a slow one.
Old November 15, 2006, 06:35 PM   #112
kc-griz

Quote:
I keep the clip in a drawer of the desk and the gun is in a locked strong box in the closet. If there ever is an intruder, I hope he is a slow one.
MAG! and forget the handgun that's locked in a strongbox in the closet in the event of an intruder. It's useless to you.. get a bat, get a golf club, get some rocks and put them by the bed. Heck, just put the ammo by the bed so you can throw it. You're chances of survival will be improved by doing so.
Old November 15, 2006, 06:49 PM   #113
AK103K

How about teach the kids not to touch your guns.

We started when they were born, and never had any issue. Before I got a safe, I actually used to hide my machine guns behind their toy box as I it was the safest place. Who wants to waste time routing through all that.

I never left loaded guns laying around, and its easy enough to slip a mag in the gun when you go to bed, if you dont keep it in its holster thats in your pants next to the bed.
Old November 16, 2006, 09:48 AM   #114
Dino.

Quote:
With all due respect, we all like to think we teach our children right from wrong, but that doesn't always garauntee they'll make the right decisions.

Quote:
We started when they were born, and never had any issue. Before I got a safe, I actually used to hide my machine guns behind their toy box as I it was the safest place. Who wants to waste time routing through all that.
As a parent, reading this actually made me sick to my stomach.
Thank god you now have a safe.
Old November 16, 2006, 10:46 AM   #115
Edward429451

Quote:

With all due respect, we all like to think we teach our children right from wrong, but that doesn't always garauntee they'll make the right decisions.
Thats what I did with my kids. Massad Ayoob wrote a most excellant book on how to gunproof your children. It worked for us. I'm not saying everyone should try it and trust the kids implicitly but if the parent is on the ball it will work. We started when they were born also and we had an issue once, but that was when I set them up to test them and was real close and the gun wasn't loaded. Most people underestimate their kids ability to learn.

Quote:

Before we had a safe, I did this too. Take note that guns only went into the toybox when we was leaving and no one would be home, and that they were retrieved and stowed elsewhere upon our return. The idea was that burglars wont spend time in the kids room, they'd be looking at electronics, jewelrey and other higher dollar items in other parts of the house.

It's good to be concerned and cautious, but its even better to rise above the media induced fear and be a better parent than the society will let you be by not underestimating the kids and giving them enough credit to be able to learn safety. The first six years of life are the most important and at that age kids will soak up info like a sponge. Most kids only hear NO NO NO at that age and WHEN YOU'RE OLDER, which does nothing but instill the forbidden fruit syndrome in them. Some parents may even use the when you're older line to defer the responsibility of teaching them because of their own fears, thereby handicapping the child. Does that make sense?

There's no safety in ignorance. With all due respect, a different view.
Old November 16, 2006, 11:47 AM   #116
Dino.

Point taken Edward.
It was never stated that the guns were hiden with the toys only when nobody was home, so please understand my concern.

I'm not "underestimating a childs ability to learn".
But I'm also not underestimating a childs tendency to become curious.
IMO, educating your children about firearms and storing your guns responsibly would be a better solution than just "teaching your kids not to touch your gun".
Old November 16, 2006, 12:08 PM   #117
p99guy

lol the most unusual place I know of was when I was working as a Jail Deputy.
female arrestee came into booking conceiling a 2" Colt Diamondback in a ziplock bag, grip panels removed/bobbed hammer...up in ah her..use your imagination...it was caught during the strip search. It was impressive in an odd sort of eeeeeewww way. Would have been a very real danger if it hadnt been discovered.
Old November 16, 2006, 12:12 PM   #118
AK103K

Quote:
Sorry to upset you.

The safe was not there because of the kids. They always had full access when we were home as it was always open. They knew that they could see anything they wanted, whenever they wanted, as long as myself or my wife were there. I always encouraged, insisted actually, that they handle whatever I had out or their own weapons (they both had their own rifles the day they were born) at every opportunity. I never worried about MY kids, and actually trusted them more than most adults with a loaded firearm in their hands. Then again, my wife and I taught them, and like my buddy always said, "you plant potatoes, you get potatoes". If that scares you, please see above and just go on about your business.

Quote:
It's good to be concerned and cautious, but its even better to rise above the media induced fear and be a better parent than the society will let you be by not underestimating the kids and giving them enough credit to be able to learn safety. The first six years of life are the most important and at that age kids will soak up info like a sponge. Most kids only hear NO NO NO at that age and WHEN YOU'RE OLDER, which does nothing but instill the forbidden fruit syndrome in them. Some parents may even use the when you're older line to defer the responsibility of teaching them because of their own fears, thereby handicapping the child. Does that make sense?
ABSOLUETLY! Very well put. Thank You.
Old November 16, 2006, 12:57 PM   #119
Dino.

Quote:
Sorry to upset you.

The safe was not there because of the kids. They always had full access when we were home as it was always open. They knew that they could see anything they wanted, whenever they wanted, as long as myself or my wife were there. I always encouraged, insisted actually, that they handle whatever I had out or their own weapons (they both had their own rifles the day they were born) at every opportunity. I never worried about MY kids, and actually trusted them more than most adults with a loaded firearm in their hands. Then again, my wife and I taught them, and like my buddy always said, "you plant potatoes, you get potatoes". If that scares you, please see above and just go on about your business.
Please explain how this is any different from my comments? ...

Quote:
IMO, educating your children about firearms and storing your guns responsibly would be a better solution than just "teaching your kids not to touch your gun".
That was in response to your earlier comment ... "How about teaching your kids not to touch your gun?"

I guess Edward429451 said it best ...
"There's no safety in ignorance. With all due respect, a different view."
Old November 16, 2006, 03:10 PM   #120
Edward429451

Quote:
It was never stated that the guns were hiden with the toys only when nobody was home, so please understand my concern.
True. I took that as a given because that's what I did and his train of thought mirrored mine and figured he was just being succinct so didn't post that little detail. I didn't mean to sound like I was implying that you're underestimating your kids or being lax in any way...just tossing out generalizations. Sorry if I struck a nerve there.

Quote:
I'm also not underestimating a childs tendency to become curious.
Good point. They way we beat that was to go out of our way to make the kids a priority and told them that if they wanted to handle a gun, to ask first and it'd be ok. Thus fulfilling their curiosity. They used to test us on this by asking when we had company over or at bedtime to squeeze a few more minutes out of us before lights out. It didn't faze me a bit. I'd put the card game on hold and go pull out any gun they wanted to see in order to keep my promise to them. A lot of the time they were merely testing me on my word and not really wanting to see a gun. Those times, they lost interest quickly and I was back with our company within 5 mins. This reassured them that we were as good as our word and nixed the curiosity at the same time. It worked for us.

Dunno if Ayoobs book "Gunproof your Children" is still in print, my copy's long been passed on. It's worth the read if you can find it though. Good discussion.
Old November 16, 2006, 03:18 PM   #121
Edward429451

Quote:
ABSOLUETLY! Very well put. Thank You.
Thank YOU. I've been called on my scary line of reasoning by well intentioned parents before and its a breath of fresh air to see others thinking in like manner, independant and correctly.
Old November 16, 2006, 04:29 PM   #122
Livinloud5

1)Small slit in my mattress there is a kel-tec .380
2)Compartment behind my stereo is a xd-9
3)Shotgun on the door side wall of the closet
4)Knife droor of kitchen

Obviously nothing special, but they work.

Blake.
Old January 5, 2007, 09:04 PM   #123
The Man

I Put A Nylon Holster Under The Back Seat Of My VW Van.
Old January 6, 2007, 05:40 AM   #124
QuestionEverything

Has anyone tried fastening a pistol to the flat underside of a desk? I'm considering giving this a try, either by screwing a holster into the desk bottom or by simply driving screws into the desk and tying strings around the bases of the screws from which the gun would hang. It's a counterintuitive place to look and also allows for fast deployment when sitting at said desk.
Old January 6, 2007, 06:22 AM   #125
Primer
Registration in progress

At a local gun show here in town one of the booths was selling the "gun magnet". Its basically a strong magnet in a plastic shell with screw holes to attach it to the back of a night stand or head board. The gun stays put on the magnet and slides off quite easily when needed. For a few bucks I picked two up. I thought it was a neat idea.