The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 14, 2018, 03:48 PM   #51
ThomasT

Quote:
My question is WHY would you deliberately select a bolt-action rifle up front as your go-to for home defense?
I wouldn't purposely pick a bolt action for a HD gun. But my situation might pick it for me. Maybe by law I can't own a handgun or a long gun with a box mag or rifle that held more than 5 rounds. Then a bolt action would be put in to service.

Or if my financial situation made it so all I could afford was a shotgun, 22 rifle and one deer hunting gun. I started out in that situation when I moved out of my parents house at 18. I had a double barrel 12ga shotgun that was a birthday gift at 10 and a Winchester model 190 I bought when I was 16-17. My first gun purchase. I kept both of those loaded and if I would have owned a bolt action it would have been loaded and ready to go also. Two years later I was married and those same two guns did the job. It was two years after that that I got my first hand gun and deer rifle. A bolt action. And would have used it if needed.

If I found a Destroyer 9mm rifle and the ammo that it takes I might have that stashed around the house too. Even now and thats with all the other 80 or so guns I already own. Its not like firing a high intensity bottle neck round.
Old December 14, 2018, 04:38 PM   #52
F. Guffey

Quote:
My question is WHY would you deliberately select a bolt-action rifle up front as your go-to for home defense?
Close to two years ago I was asked to clean out the shop of a friend, He was a master gun smith, a better machinist and a better welder. Among the rifles he gave me was an Argentine 1891, I thought it was a BM 7.65mm53. After I checked it out it turned into a 308 W.

My intent was to put it back to the 7.65mm53 BM so I let it be know I needed some parts for the 91 Argentine Mauser. When collecting all of the parts I found I had 3 shotgun barrels. I called my friend to let him know I was wrong about the chamber in the rifle. I asked him what he used it for; he said he used it for a loaner, he said when someone showed up without a rifle to hunt with he loaned them the Argentine 91 rifle.

F. Guffey
Old December 14, 2018, 05:39 PM   #53
DPris
Member Emeritus

?
Denis
Old December 15, 2018, 07:02 PM   #54
tubeshooter

I know I am late to the party here and it sounds like the discussion is largely done, but I did want to make a comment.

While I agree that a bolt gun isn't ideal, I don't think it's as much of a handicap as it's made out to be here. It is better than nothing. If circumstances (financial or otherwise) pressed someone into using a bolt gun in this role, they would at least have a chance.

I mean really - would it be THAT much worse than a lever gun? In my mind, the answer is no. The lever gun is quicker for the next shot and easier to top off... but not by all THAT much.

I'm not saying I would argue for a bolt as a primary choice, but I have a Hog Hunter that I think I could hold my own with if I had to. That's all I'm saying. To each his own; carry on.
Old December 18, 2018, 09:09 AM   #55
LAH

Can't say I disagree with anything you said tubeshooter.