The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 14, 2014, 03:31 PM   #26
MJN77

Oh brother.

Last edited by MJN77; October 14, 2014 at 05:02 PM.
Old October 14, 2014, 06:57 PM   #27
45 Dragoon

Pure lead is recommended so you can load it. Ever try to load a hard alloy in a c&b?
Otherwise, I refer you to post #21.
Old October 15, 2014, 04:11 PM   #28
Hardy

OK maybe the remarks was hogwash I bow to the more knowledgeble!

The barrel appeared clear without enough light for careful examination and no pinlight. That was my fault and also careless-but I believed the slug cleared but left lead residue that caused the next fire obstucted and heated the barrel. THAT IS IF THE GUN IS SAFE WITH THESE With no obstructions. The bullets were long colts less than 800ftLBS for conversion cylinders and the cylinder looks fine. They were no reloads-just straight out of the box called cowboy loads. All I asked in the last part of this thread was it possible the bullet funked and left too much lead inside and the beginning was to see if proficient cowboy gun users felt about this. I did not mean to turn it to hogswash. According to my wife I've always tried too many things. Sorry if I frustrated some--I meant well. SO are conversion cylinders for these ok? That was the real intention of my post
WBH
Old October 15, 2014, 07:11 PM   #29
MJN77

People have been using conversion cylinders for C&B revolvers for over a decade. These cylinders are still very popular with "cowboy" shooters, many of whom use converted revolvers as their main match guns and put tens of thousands of rounds through them annually without any problems. As long as you use black powder ammo or "cowboy" loads in smokeless ammo you are just fine. It still sounds like you had a bullet that didn't clear the barrel, and fired another one behind it. I do not think lead fouling could be bad enough to cause the barrel to bulge. And as I stated before, a squib can happen in ANY firearm.
Old October 15, 2014, 07:46 PM   #30
Hardy

Thank you MZ I meant no harm so I guess I will get a new barrel after all..this info makes me be more careful if I shoot the conversions again. One thing though--As was mentioned before--Pietta wants a 17 grain charge in their 36. That might not be enough to send the slug out. I tried it once and the cylinder didnt rotate since 1 half was stuck in the cone--so that light of charge might be more dangerous than what they recommend.The slug could have gotten in the barrel and the next bang might have cost me my life or just a banana peeled barrel.
Old October 15, 2014, 08:12 PM   #31
noelf2

15 gr 3fg will have no trouble expelling a 36 rb with authority. Though I would use more in a cartridge if using a heavy crimp.
Old October 15, 2014, 09:37 PM   #32
Hardy

Well again on my apoligies fror getting on other things than whether a conversion cylinder is safe and how the buldge in the barrel ACTUALLY occured but thanks for all the feedback. dang I thought the barrel was cleared. But like a lot of things we all experience in life, We are sometimes wrong. BUT I don't think 15gs out of a 36C/B will do it. But I always thought laugh in would outlive Hee Haw so what do I know.

wbh---- emailme at bhardy360 @aol.com i have my store's final guns i want some but will sell the others You can check most of them on old posts of mine on sell or trade So peace my friends I love em but rarely shoot them since I'm now back ramping up our old band. As a favor, please google the J Teal Band--and I will love you for it. And we'll talk about guns again.
wbh
Old October 15, 2014, 10:01 PM   #33
45 Dragoon

Well, OK then but, don't go saying things are dangerous when you don't fully understand the situation. Folks have been shooting conversions (they've been around since the 1800s) for a long time with awesome results. I talk with hmmm ( we'll say folks that would know) and I wouldn't post lies. As long as you adhere to the manufactures recomendations, you shouldn't have any more worries with conversions as with any other revolver.
My guns have had many thousands of rounds through them and I would put them up against any new S.A.s. I'm very proud of them and what I do so it does get under my skin when somebody starts hacking on the guns that bring me the most joy!!
I try to help folks as often as I can but will run to the front to protect the reputation of these manufacturers and what I take huge pride in.
Hope you enjoy shooting your conversion /coversions (everybody should have a few!!) and be carefull!!

45 Dragoon

www.goonsgunworks.com

Wow, took me too long to type and I see your post !
I will check out the band. ( btw, i'd pick laugh in too, that Goldie is something else!!!)

Last edited by 45 Dragoon; October 15, 2014 at 10:10 PM.
Old October 16, 2014, 06:33 PM   #34
Hardy

OK Dragoon I get your drift. I didn't say they were dangerous. I only asked ??

Why are you picking on me Some folks say they are safe and some don't. This thread was intentend for advise---not to offend. If They are safe then I guess you know what you are talking about if they are not then some have different opinions. I think there was a lot of valuable comments and maybe I had a squib-but didn't think so. I really don't want someone talking down to me when I was just trying to find out some things By Guys, my some internet friends, don't have time for this!!!
Old October 16, 2014, 07:07 PM   #35
Hardy

Ok Dragoon You got my dander up a little but I'm fine. You are right--maybe

I didn't lie. I swear the barrel was clear but after all the posts maybe I thought it was. Maybe I saw enough light from the reflection of my thumb nail under the cone w/hammer cocked and no cylinder in it. I now believe I made a mistake. So Dragoon I think I need to apologize It still puzzles me that I saw light down from the bottom to the top and still maybe had a stuck slug. Do you think I would have kept shooting if I thought the barrel was cloged--that is why I posted that maybe some of the slug cleared out?! Or what happened?

WBH
Old October 16, 2014, 07:10 PM   #36
45 Dragoon

Well we keep typing at the same time!!
Nope, dont think you would keep shooting. Like I said, I get lathered up when sombody starts throwing the "not safe " blanket out about something that I'm connected with.
The gun world already has enough folks that want to shut us down, we dont need any from our side giving them more ammo, warranted or not.

Thank you for the apology and likewise, i didnt mean to be so quick to jump. You are talking about my favorite revolvers ya know!! Lol

www.goonsgunworks.com

Last edited by 45 Dragoon; October 16, 2014 at 07:29 PM.
Old October 16, 2014, 07:35 PM   #37
Hardy

I saw it---cool. I just meant that the gun barrel had buldges and wasn't sure what caused them. I thought it just overheated but wasn,t sure. The thread at least offered to be careful--I hope. Thanks dragoon. I have an infected tooth and too much on my plate--didn't mean to get mad. I'd be glad to send you the barrel if you want to and replace it with another uberti but I'm now trying to set bridges and other parts on guitars where I don't want to work on guns
Old October 16, 2014, 09:15 PM   #38
noelf2

Tell you what hardy. Load her up with 15gr and a 36 rb and shoot your foot. Should bounce right off.
Old October 17, 2014, 06:26 PM   #39
Hardy

ok Maybe I'll wear steel toe boots but I might miss and shoot my leg. Dang I opened up a big can of worms here.

Just hunt me down at #4 355 Whitney Rd, Sptg, Sc and drag me off to the swamps of Louisiana fer the gators. Wait--dont do that

Wbh

ps

I'm going to call Taylors and order a new barrel for that 1858. If I didn't like conversions I wouldn't own 3 much less sold them for 2 years. I just wanted you to give feedback on them on my barrel. I got it thanks
Old October 17, 2014, 09:36 PM   #40
TemboTusk

Hardy, Good on ya for having a sense of humor and not taking it personally!

We probably all got a bit too indignant over the comments. Its a good forum with a great group of people.

www.TemboTusk.com
Old October 18, 2014, 07:02 PM   #41
Hardy

No problem. I tried the 15 g in a pietta 51 steel frame and it shot about 1/2 inch into a 4/4 post 15 ft away. But I did not use a wad. But i shot alot several years ago and those small loads didn't work but I used 36 wads. Also, I used trip 7 in the last firing. The gun wants to jam after 4 or 5 pulls. I think maybe the channel for the hammer hand might have burrs. I can break it down and smooth it w/ imory or a fine paper. But I don't know. I polished off the ends of the recoil slot for the hammer but that didn't work. It has to be the hammer hand slot--or does it? It's a new gun. I ain't gonna break it down unless you think I should. Like I said, I got other things to work on but this might be not too hard. Seems 3 or 4 years ago I did it and it worked.

I didn't think conversions were unsafe but after some posts and private messages--I wondered. After all, I still have those ugly bulges on that barrel. Heck it was a uberti case hardened model and they ain't cheap -- so I should just order a new one. I can put it in----I think
wbh
Old October 18, 2014, 09:58 PM   #42
Hardy

Fixed it--goes into all 4 cock--took me 2 hours. DRAGOON are you glad I made that happen Now I got to work on an sg gibson guitar I wish I was a real gunsmith but I aint. I know you are! I now be proud of you Glad I did'nt shoot my foot LOL And sorry Noel -the 15 charge would have hurt my foot. Just remember small charges in my day didn't pop like I thought--so apolygy to you too.

WBH
Old October 18, 2014, 11:03 PM   #43
45 Dragoon

Good deal Hardy! Glad ya fixed it! What was the problem?

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Old October 19, 2014, 04:36 PM   #44
Hardy

I have run into this before--disgruntled customers bringing back pietta 51 and 60's that couldn't remove the wedge or get nipples unable to remove w/traditions nipple wrenches. We had a socket wrench cut to the fit the nipple head around the nipples--don't know where it is but might have been 3/8 can't remember. I think I solved the poblem by smoothing out the recoil slot and honing the hammer head slot. I used 3-1 oil--not ballestol. Also I had to use a hard steel nipple wrench from a 2nd gen colt kit to dislodge the nipples from that pietta. Never knew why they were put in so tight along w/ wedge. Uberties never showed ME those simple problems. And nothing against Piettas but it was always the economical ones--they have higher priced guns that prove more smoother action
Old October 21, 2014, 06:00 PM   #45
Hardy

sorry dragoon I went on a tangent I didn't mean the problems of some things I said. They were just on my mind when I was typing I have CRS---The hammer slot was rough and I used oil and fine grit paper to even it up with the chambers. I took fine grit paper w/ oil wraped on a special nail tool to scub and polish out burrs and roughness in the hammer head slot. I think if the spring on the hammer hand gets stress it will break. I don't know enough to be an expert but I do know that folks that no nothing about these guns and buy a 200 gun -they don't know that these springs will /hammer etc/ might grasp rough edges and break them. Am I right?
Old October 21, 2014, 09:40 PM   #46
45 Dragoon

That's right Hardy. They can use a lot of smoothing inside and the springs are generally way to heavy.

45 Dragoon
www.goonsgunworks.com