The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 3, 2013, 11:15 PM   #1
barnbwt

Attention Ruger No. 1 or 50AK and 50-90 Owners--I Need a Quick Measurement!

Hey, guys,
I'm gonna try to get my .510" barrel blank contoured for my 50 Alaskan build, and I need a barrel thickness to shoot for. Right now, it's a 1.75" rough turn, which is way too thick. It's going onto a Steyr M95 receiver, so that will define the thickness at the threads, but I don't know what diameter would be needed to keep the 18"-20" barrel sufficiently stiff over its length. I don't need accuracy so much as light weight, but I also don't want the barrel easily whipped around or bent () by recoil.

The reciever is sufficiently strong for 8x56R, so it's plenty capable of handling the much lower pressure and equal bolt-thrust of 50 Alaskan--no worries there.

Unless someone here owns a 50 Alaskan or similar (50-90+), I am going to base my profile on the Ruger No. 1 barrel--known for its strength (and ability to be rechambered to 50 Alaskan ). I believe the 458 barrel profile is the biggest offered, and the one I am interested in. I would use the Winchester M71 thickness, but I don't know if the barrel is replaced with a thicker one during the conversion.

Thanks guys, hopefully I can get this knocked out this weekend!

No, I won't be keeping the steel-plated military stock , so I don't need to fit the barrel inside handguards, or anything

TCB