The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old August 16, 2010, 08:30 AM   #1
Rifleman1776

Internet censorship

A Turkish web site that specializes in selling fancy figured walnut was reported as blocked by a member of a woodworking forum I belong to. Supposedly, it is blocked because the site contains the words "weapon" and "guns". Their speciality is fancy blanks for gunstocks.
Censorship, in any form, is to me highly objectionable and very scary.
Old August 16, 2010, 08:33 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Well, who is doing the blocking?

Is it blocked by his ISP, his employer?

My employer blocks a LOT of sites; fortunately they don't block this site or most other sites dealing with firearms. They do block most sites that offer streaming radio and video, done as a means of reducing bandwidth usage and keeping people focused on their jobs and not Youtube.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 16, 2010, 09:19 AM   #3
rtpzwms

Where and when were you surfing? If your ISP is doing it change your ISP. If its your employer get over it. There are so many employees abusing the internet connection at work it has a direct correlation to the bottom line.
Old August 16, 2010, 10:44 AM   #4
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
A Turkish web site that specializes in selling fancy figured walnut was reported as blocked by a member of a woodworking forum I belong to. Supposedly, it is blocked because the site contains the words "weapon" and "guns". Their speciality is fancy blanks for gunstocks.
Censorship, in any form, is to me highly objectionable and very scary.
Let me see if I understand this. You are complaining to us about an issue of censorship that didn't happen to you, was not confirmed by you, and that happened for reasons also not confirmed by you, plus you didn't provide any information on the site where the report was made, the site supposedly being blocked, or any other salient information that could be used to be helpful to you?

So what is the point of your post?
Old August 16, 2010, 11:39 AM   #5
maestro pistolero

Yeah, you gotta know who is providing the internet conection to even know the reason for the blocking. Example: the Buffalo NY airport has gun sites blocked for certain keywords they contain.

Sometimes there is filtering software used that has built-in lists of keywords for which to filter. The administrator can edit these lists to add or delete words.

Sometimes gun sites are filtered more due to laziness or inaction in failing to customizing the filters rather than any left wing conspiracy.

So, depending on what wireless network you were on, the provider, especially if it's free, can filter anything they want. If it's happening on your home internet connection, you would probably have an issue.

As already pointed out, you need to provide more information.
Old August 16, 2010, 12:08 PM   #6
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Sometimes gun sites are filtered more due to laziness or inaction in failing to customizing the filters rather than any left wing conspiracy.
Yep. A few years back, the City here installed "nanny filters" on all of the city's computers. The built-in list included the terms "weapon, gun, firearm, etc.".

The filter also blocked those terms from.... you guessed it, the police dept., and they never did correct it .

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old August 16, 2010, 02:20 PM   #7
Glenn E. Meyer

Yep, lots of medical info was blocked when some places blocked terms like penis or breast.
Old August 16, 2010, 05:33 PM   #8
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Yep, lots of medical info was blocked when some places blocked terms like penis or breast.
Yep. A friend ran a site discussing naked-eye astronomy. Early versions of Net Nanny blocked the site based on repeated usage of the word "naked."