The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 2, 2016, 04:21 PM   #1
KeystoneCassel

Full picatinny rail for Savage Scout?

Hello, I'm fairly new here and I'm looking to buy a Savage 11 Scout for a good all around rifle that can be used for hunting and recreation once I turn 18. However a potential concern for me is being able to mount a conventional scope on the rifle without interfering with the iron sights.

Are there any potential options for a "full" picatinny rail for a Savage 11 Scout, basically a rail that would extend over the receiver like a conventional mount but not interfere with the peep sights. (A "see through" mount or one that has had the middle portion of the rail removed for continued use even with a scope would be ideal).

Is there any readily available options for this?
Or is it possible to take a "blank" rail with no holes to a gunsmith and have it custom fitted?
Old October 2, 2016, 07:35 PM   #2
taylorce1

No to use a scope conventional on a Savage Scout you'll have to remove the rear sight. The rear sight mounts to the same holes any scope base would mount to. There isn't enough space on the rear ring of the receiver to mount a scope base with the rear sight.

Burris does make a two piece picitinny mounts for Savage and I'm sure others do as well, but I own the Burris. You could possibly find a new rear sight that'll mount to the rail. Then with Quick release rings you can swap back and forth between an aperture rear sight and a scope. However, there will not be room to mount both aperture sight and scope at the same time.
Old October 2, 2016, 09:30 PM   #3
bamaranger

agreed, but maybe??????

Taylorce1 is correct.

I wonder though, if some of the drilled and tapped holes used to mount the Savage IER scope rail forward of the receiver, could be used to mount conventional rear ramp and sight blade, if the IER rail were removed.

If not, it might be possible to drill and tap holes suitable for such a rear sight anyhow.
Old October 3, 2016, 01:02 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

"...any potential options for..." Not without having the scope excessively high. Far too high to make it useful.
Good side view of the silly Scout rifle on Savage's site that shows why. Look at the level of the iron sights vs the rail.
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11Scout
Old October 5, 2016, 06:19 AM   #5
agtman

Quote:
Hello, I'm fairly new here and I'm looking to buy a Savage 11 Scout for a good all around rifle that can be used for hunting and recreation once I turn 18. However a potential concern for me is being able to mount a conventional scope on the rifle without interfering with the iron sights.
Aside from defeating the point of the "Scout rifle's" forward-optic set up, you're creating more expense for yourself instead of just buying a rifle that can have a scope low-mounted in rings over the receiver in the traditional manner.

The point of having a pre-zeroed back-up aperture on the rifle is so that the aperture/frt sight combo is ready to go if the forward-mounted optic fails or for whatever reason is otherwise removed.

If the aperture's been taken off to accommodate the receiver-mounted scope, and the scope fails, then you've got to fumble here and there trying to find the aperture to reinstall, and whatever precise zero it once had was lost anyway when you removed it.
Old October 6, 2016, 02:45 PM   #6
bamaranger

valid

That's a pretty valid point. One of the aspects of a "scout rifle" is that it has a "scout scope" (IER) mounted forward. If one does not desire an IER set up, and is leaning towards a conventional over the bolt arrangement, buy a rifle set up that way.

As stated, the Savage will take a scope over the receiver easily enough. Remove the rear peep, standard bases and rings go on, add scope. What one loses is the "advantage" of back up irons of some type. At that point, you may as well remove the IER rail, and the front sight as well. Again why bother? Lots of rifles are sold these days without irons of any kind.

A possible option may be the Savage Hog rifle. The Hog will take a conventional scope arrangement, comes equipped with accutrigger, usable blade and bead irons, has a threaded muzzle to take attachments, and comes in the same calibers. It is not as light and portable, which was a virtue of the Scout. It has a blind 4+1 mag, no big box.
The OP may simply be attracted to the appearance of the Savage Scout, what with the adjustable comb, flash hider, and big box. If such is the case, the Hog will offer nearly all the same features, without the hassle.

Tags
mounting systems , rails , savage , savage 11 , scout rifle