The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 18, 2015, 11:44 AM   #1
leadtag

New scope question

I have a leupold Vx3 6.5-20x50 with 30 mm tube,fine duplex long range with target turrets, I wanted a scope for long range hunting in Montana i.e Antelope or huge wide open clearcut elk hunting. Is this scope going to be ok with this type or better suited benchrest and varmit hunting? thanks
Old July 18, 2015, 11:59 AM   #2
603Country

I use that same scope on my 220 for coyote hunting. Works great. Just remember that after you target shoot, move the power back off of 20. Ask me how I know that....
Old July 18, 2015, 11:59 AM   #3
precision_shooter

I think it's a fine choice for a long range hunting scope. But, what if you stumble upon a game animal that is not more than 50 yards from you? That 6.5x magnification on the low end is a little too high for my tastes.

My next hunting scope will probably be a 3-18x VX6. I think 3x on the low end is sufficient for close in shots, and 18x should be more than plenty for the longest range I would take a shot at an animal.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old July 18, 2015, 12:39 PM   #4
geetarman

I have the same scope on my Annie MPR64. It is a good piece of glass that works great.

Carpe Cerveza
Old July 18, 2015, 03:22 PM   #5
leadtag101

Thanks guys for the input, I really want the scope to work, outside of a close range snapshot@ 50 yards or under. 6.5 a bit much at 100 yards as well?
Old July 18, 2015, 04:07 PM   #6
603Country

well, 6.5 power at 50 yards is a bit much for some. On the other hand I hunted with a fixed 6 power for years and never considered the power to be a problem. I guess I'd be really happy with a 5-25 range, but I have no problem with a 6.5-20. I actually hunt, with all rifles, with the scope set on about 8 power, but that's on open ground.

A couple of years ago I did have a coyote at about 50 yards. I put the scope on him and saw fur. Don't know what part of the coyote the fur was on. Dang scope was still on 20 power. I hate it when I do that. I'm sure I cranked the power down, but can't remember if I got the coyote or not.

I probably wouldn't use that scope for big critters in tight hunting areas. More likely I'd go to the 4-16 or the 4.5-14's I have on some other and bigger caliber rifles. I'll shoot a coyote (or shoot AT him) at 500 yards or more, but I keep the big critter shots to 300 or 350 max unless it's a perfect opportunity with great light and not much wind. I might go to 400 in the good conditions, but honestly it isn't likely I'd do that. I rarely, if ever, take 'maybe' shots on a deer. Just doesn't feel right to me.
Old July 18, 2015, 06:01 PM   #7
jmr40

It's a bigger, heavier scope than I'd buy. But it'll get the job done. I think it would be a handicap at shots inside of 50 yards or so. But I know lots of other guys who recommend fixed power 6x scopes for everything including close shots.