The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 22, 2012, 12:12 AM   #1
amprecon

Ruger Discontinued 6.8spc Mini-14?

I recommended a 6.8 caliber Mini-14 to a friend who was looking hard at a Mini-14. He said he couldn't find the Mini-14 in 6.8, when I went to their website I couldn't find the Ruger Mini-14 in 6.8spc either.

They offer an upper for their SR-556 in 6.8spc.

Just wondering.
"Cause I got nothin' better to do."
Old February 22, 2012, 01:39 AM   #2
bamaranger

If true........

I'm not surprised. Folks buy Mini's to blast with, I suspect most Mini's belong to relatively hign volume shooters, or at least a higher percentage of Mini's get shot more than the "average" rifle. Translation, affordable ammo needed, ie .223/7.62x39. You won't buy a case of 6.8 to waste down at the landfill.

The 6.8 round, no matter how superior ballistically, is not common or cheap. Price drives everything these days, and I suspect especially at Ruger since Bill Sr. is gone. If Ruger wasn't selling enough of 6.8 Mini's to satisfy the bean counters, wouldn't surprise me they'd drop it.

Anybody know for sure?
Old February 22, 2012, 05:28 AM   #3
TMD

Ruger dropped the 6.8 from their lineup completely. The problem isn't sales, in fact 6.8 is alive and well. The problem Ruger was using the original SAAMI spec chamber and 1:10 6 groove barrel. Everyone else in the industry went to the newer SPC II chamber with a 1:11 4 groove barrel. At the time Ruger introduced the 6.8 the SPC II chamber wasn't recognised by SAAMI. Hence they didn't sell well for Ruger.
Old February 22, 2012, 08:10 AM   #4
Crosshair

That and a great many 6.8 shooters, to be frank, are believing all sorts of crazy things. Like that number of grooves and twist rates has a serious impact on chamber pressure when the real problem was early batches of barrels that were undersized in certain dimensions. Lots of nuttiness going on to justify why their overload reloads are having problems and how they can't match the pie in the sky statistics that Remington was first using in the early days but no longer uses.
Old February 22, 2012, 08:36 AM   #5
Gunplummer

I had a 6.8 and hunted with it. I thought it to be a good little round, but I believe it will just "Go away" because the military never picked it up.
Old February 22, 2012, 08:49 AM   #6
hodaka

I think Crosshair hit it. I have an early 16" 6.8 AR and it shoots 110 Prohunters into an inch at 100 at 2500 fps. Seems fine to me. I don't hunt anymore but I'm sure this would be fine for hunting most anything. Too bad Ruger dropped it. I thing I agree with the cost of blasting ammo being a factor. I reload so it is a non-issue.
Old February 22, 2012, 08:56 AM   #7
leadbutt

Wouldn't surprise me if they aren't working on putting the 6.5 creedmore into it since its their own 6.5