The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old July 23, 2010, 08:36 PM   #26
TXGunNut

I was referring to other areas of this site. If someone mentions bullet casting or cast bullets, I think we need to invite him over. I've done the same when someone asks about reloads on the rifle forum. I don't do other forums on a regular basis, only lurk when I do.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old July 23, 2010, 11:20 PM   #27
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Yeah, I was already called on that.

No need to rub it in...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old July 24, 2010, 10:25 AM   #28
snuffy

Well I for one am very happy with how this is coming along. I check it every time I check in on TFL, and that's usually twice a day.

Yes it could be used more. The only way to make it use more is to make it a regular forum. H&R is the only one I visit.

I only reply to a thread where I think I have something to contribute. Based on my 45 years of casting. Sometimes people get miffed at what I say, well it's based on what I learned over the years, and it works for me.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old July 24, 2010, 02:36 PM   #29
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Sometimes people get miffed at what I say, well it's based on what I learned over the years, and it works for me.
If there's something to learn after 45 years, snuffy it's this. Don't change a dang thing on how you contribute here. You'll probably forget more than we'll ever learn and we need to know everything you're willing to provide.

Old July 24, 2010, 02:39 PM   #30
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Quote:
If there's something to learn after 45 years, snuffy it's this. Don't change a dang thing on how you contribute here. You'll probably forget more than we'll ever learn and we need to know everything you're willing to provide.
Amen to that!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old July 24, 2010, 03:40 PM   #31
TXGunNut

Sorry, Tuttle. Just confirming, clarifying. No intention of rubbing it in.
Where do we sign up for the ICH bullet giveaway? J/K. I like the pics of those hp moulds. Look like little works of art. Pretty amazing designs.
Old July 24, 2010, 03:42 PM   #32
DiscoRacing

Quote:
Where do we sign up for the ICH bullet giveaway
You are
Old July 24, 2010, 06:13 PM   #33
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Sorry, Tuttle. Just confirming, clarifying. No intention of rubbing it in.
No worries. All in good fun...

Old July 24, 2010, 07:23 PM   #34
TXGunNut

Fun indeed. Wish I'd found you guys a couple of years ago, before I bought my initial casting gear. Guess I did pretty well, lots of cool toys. Thanks to you guys and another caster or two I finally jumped in a little while back. Don't think I'll ever have the cool moulds some of you have or the experience snuffy has but I'm having a ball!
Old July 24, 2010, 09:04 PM   #35
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Quote:
Don't think I'll ever have the cool moulds some of you have or the experience snuffy has but I'm having a ball!
That's all that matters!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
Old July 24, 2010, 09:29 PM   #36
DiscoRacing

How can i get one a them hp molds I C H?? What will the damage be??
Would like one for 500 mag and one for 44 mag.
Old July 24, 2010, 10:26 PM   #37
TXGunNut

Dunno Disco, I'm pretty thrilled with boring flat point hunting boolits for now. Those moulds are fascinating but way over my head at this point. I'd like to see them working but they're just eye candy for me now.
Translation: I don't think I'm smart enough to make them work and I'm too tight with my money to find out!
Old July 24, 2010, 10:29 PM   #38
DiscoRacing

Figure I wont have one either... I can always dream tho I have a 500 magnum now and dont even have the cash to get set up to load for it...and factory ammo here for it is 70 bucks for 20 rdsI should have looked into ammo prices before I got the silly Idea to get the gun
Old July 24, 2010, 10:30 PM   #39
DiscoRacing

Ya might get lucky and win 100 rds tho... there are only 7 contestants so far for this month
Old July 24, 2010, 10:36 PM   #40
TXGunNut

Honestly, Disco, what I really wish I had was more range, loading, casting bench time. I have more toys than I have time to play. Great stress relief when I make the time for it.
Old July 24, 2010, 10:38 PM   #41
DiscoRacing

HMMM... sounds as if priorities need to be reset..I MAKE time to shoot...thats all there is to it
Old July 24, 2010, 10:54 PM   #42
TXGunNut

I understand, lots of demands on my time last few years. Shooting, loading and casting has kept me (relatively) sane. All three require my undivided attention to do properly. Casting seems so simple but it fascinates me and will take many years to master. Lots of toys and fascinating shiny bits to buy along the way.
Old July 25, 2010, 12:04 AM   #43
snuffy

Quote:
Aw, shucks, you're gonna make me blush!

I'm always ready to answer any question, but if I don't know, or I'm in a hurry, I may pass. I certainly won't BS anybody or make something up.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old July 26, 2010, 10:26 AM   #44
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Subforum transition to stand-alone forum?

Has it really been a year? Darn near. How time flies, et cetera.
I'll point out that it was something of an odyssey, getting a Bullet Casting forum/subforum started in the first place. And, even with agreement that it would be A Good Thang, the precise format and placement in TFL were subject to much discussion. I won't bore y'all with the behind-the-scenes give & take that went on in staff discussions. Suffice it to say that all participlants were sincerely concerned with the proper functioning of TFL as a whole, and it took a lot of discussion to hammer out something that was generally agreeable to all.

I must admit that, in the beginning, I was a bit reticent to strart up a Bullet Casting area. When I became convinced that there was true popular interest in such, and broached the topic to Staff, I at first advocated for an entirely separate forum, as is under discussion currently. After much brotherly --and sisterly -- exchange, I yielded the point, and eventually the subforum was fielded, with appropriate announcements.

I'm happy to say that I'm very pleased with the way the subforum has flourished. It couldn't have done so without the tireless efforts of Tuttle8. He has been there all the times I was absent for one reason or another. We have several really active "regulars" who have contributed vastly to the sum of knowledge in the forum. I started making a list of them for proper recognition, but I fear I'll leave someone out. I believe that ALL the discussion has been totally within the spirit of taking the high road, and I can't recall a single acrimonious exchange. I salute all participlants.

Now, the idea of a separate forum arises again. I don't totally discount the input of those advocates. I simply wonder if the additional effort and possible confusion would ultimately be worthwhile. The technical aspects of altering the board format CAN be overcome, but the question always must be asked, Is the game worth the candle? Frankly, friends, I am a great proponent of the philosophy that, if a mechanism is working well, it likely doesn't need repair. If the matter is important enough to a large enough segment of forum participants, I trust it will resurface for additional consideration.

If you have new input or thoughts on the matter, by all means, raise them with Tuttle8 or me or any other staffer. With such a cordial group as you are, I assure you that no individual's concerns will be ignored.

Very best regards
Johnny
Old July 26, 2010, 11:41 AM   #45
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

EXTREMELY-well put Johnny! As far as having the casting forum be a "sub-forum", I still couldn't be happier! I completely agree that "if it is not broken, then don't fix it." I also believe that as a sub-forum, it has a lot of growing to do before being "promoted" to a standard forum in the line-up. Like you said...we will know when that time comes and we will deal with it then.

I would also like to thank EVERYONE who puts so much time into this subforum. You all know who you are!!!!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
Old July 28, 2010, 09:02 AM   #46
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Oh-KAY, a bit of a change - - -

Following extensive pro-and-con strageddy discussions, a change HAS been effected: Handloading and Reloading forum will henceforth be listed as Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting forum. The Bullet Casting area will remain a subforum, so as to avoid mixing up the posts of specialized interest with those who use other types of projectiles.

This change avoids the complications involved in a restructuring of the forum areas. Both Tuttle8 and I heartily endorse the change. The suggestion for and implementation of this alteration was accomplished by the esteemed staff guru Mal H, to whom thanks are due.

Johnny
Old July 28, 2010, 01:02 PM   #47
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Thanks Mal H, Johnny, and Tuttle!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
Old July 28, 2010, 09:39 PM   #48
TXGunNut

Wow, great idea! Simple, makes sense, no big fuss. I like it!
Old July 30, 2010, 04:11 PM   #49
Win1892

I read almost every thread even though I don't cast. But I do shoot a lot of lead.