The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Closed Thread

Old December 31, 2017, 11:45 PM   #26
Slamfire

Yes, this is a 12 year old thread. My 50th Anniversary Sierra reloading manual says in bold print "Sierra does not recommend MatchKing bullets for hunting applications"

If the manufacturer does not recommend the use of their bullets in certain applications, that is good enough advice not to use them in that application.
Old January 1, 2018, 12:48 AM   #27
jimbob86

Quote:
I took 6 deer this year in SC. I shot everyone with Hornady 168 AMAX BTHP. Not a single deer left the corn pile. This round is deadly and will whitetail down with authority. The problem lies with accuracy for most hunters and most are too quick to shoot which will cause inaccuracy issues.
What sized deer at what range? Hell, shooting deer feeding on a bait pile, likely from tree or blind, at a distance likely measured in tens of feet, you should have been able to do that with a 40gr LRN .22lr ....
Old January 1, 2018, 01:29 AM   #28
Hawg

168 grain SMK and Nosler 165 grain BTBT both shoot to same POA with my 30-06 with the SMK giving tighter groups. I would never even think about hunting with a SMK.
Old January 1, 2018, 06:34 AM   #29
Old Stony

A fellow that hunts with me every year now, was having problems for several years with finding his deer after they were shot. He is not a big shooter, although he does have some good equipment. It turns out he was using 168 bthp's that he had a good supply of. We drug quite a few animals out of dense woods where they ran after he shot them, while mine dropped right away.
I got him to change bullets, and this year he dropped a nice 11 pointer like he should.
Old January 1, 2018, 04:32 PM   #30
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamfire
Yes, this is a 12 year old thread. My 50th Anniversary Sierra reloading manual says in bold print "Sierra does not recommend MatchKing bullets for hunting applications"

If the manufacturer does not recommend the use of their bullets in certain applications, that is good enough advice not to use them in that application.
And on that note... closed.