The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 19, 2013, 09:58 AM   #1
Spats McGee
Staff

NY: Reciprocity bill

While perusing NY bills in an attempt to help out in another thread, I ran across this: http://open.nysenate.gov/legislation/bill/A3291-2013

As I don't travel to NY often, nor have any immediate plans to do so, I am not entirely sure what the law of NY (state) is. This bill, however, states that it is
Quote:
AN ACT to amend the penal law, in relation to allowing individuals duly
licensed out-of-state to carry a pistol or firearm to carry such weap
on within the state for a limited duration
Would this change the law? Any New Yorkers want to weigh in on its odds of passage?
Old February 19, 2013, 10:02 AM   #2
Scimmia

Universal recognition? I'm not a New Yorker, but the phrase "snowball's chance..." comes to mind.
Old February 19, 2013, 10:04 AM   #3
NJgunowner

Eh, considering the BS that just happened in NY do you really believe that ANY pro-gun bills are going to get passed? It'll happen about a week after NJ does it, which means NEVER.
Old February 19, 2013, 10:36 AM   #4
kayakersteve

Being from NY, and acutely aware of the anti-gun movement here, I would not expect any reasonable gun laws to have a chance.
Old February 19, 2013, 10:53 AM   #5
Yankee Traveler

It is a great idea. I travel through NY on my way to VT and this would fit me perfectly...for the few hours I am on the Thruway/Northway.

Sadly, common sense will not prevail.
Old February 19, 2013, 10:55 AM   #6
armabill

So what is a "limited duration"?
Old February 19, 2013, 11:09 AM   #7
Yankee Traveler

I believe the article said 30 days. Not more than 30 or up to 30 or something of the sort.
Old February 19, 2013, 11:40 AM   #8
rwilson452

If I'm reading it correctly, Out of staters would be exempt for the mag limit in the safe act.

I think some one can see the hand writing on the wall. Current law will not pass constitutional muster.
Old February 19, 2013, 07:16 PM   #9
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwilson452
If I'm reading it correctly, Out of staters would be exempt for the mag limit in the safe act.
Where do you see that? I don't see any mention of an exemption from the NY magazine limit law.

Which makes this law, if it were to pass, a real trap for the unwary, because there are VERY few semi-automatic handguns that are compliant with the NY law. Some of the new, small, pocket pistols are, and "compact" 1911s, for example, but no standard, Government model or Commander 1911 would be legal because even the original 7-round GI magazines can be converted to hold 8 rounds in about a minute (if you take your time).

It makes me wonder if the NY legislators perhaps know this, and view this as a law that makes them look good without really giving away much of anything.
Old February 20, 2013, 12:35 AM   #10
62coltnavy

NYS does have a limited reciprocity law--but it does not apply specifically in NYC. Unless you have a permit issued by NYC you cannot even lawfully possess a firearm--no matter what the federal law says on the subject. Now of course the judges will not enforce this carve out and will apply the federal safe harbor, but plan on paying a lawyer and sacrificing your gun (you would be entitled to its return, but it just ain't gonna happen). Either that or pay a small fine for a misdemeanor and lose your gun. Sucks big time.