The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 2, 2011, 08:45 AM   #1
tpcollins

Any differences in .380 Auto nickel plated

Last year I was able to pick up a bunch of .380 brass at the range and after finally tumbling the cases yesterday, I noticed there are a couple of nickel plated cases (I assume this is plated over brass). Do these shoot any different/cause hangups versus regular brass? Just wondering if I should get some silver bullets and use them only for werewolfs? Thanks.
Old May 2, 2011, 09:19 AM   #2
Sevens

They should work just as well (or just as poorly!) as your yellow colored brass. They may not last as long if the nickel plating begins to chip off, as the base brass is thinner on nickel plated cases.

Especially in something like .380 where you goal is to hear a "BANG" and the slug land somewhere on a target that's unlikely to be much further away than 7-12 yards, I wouldn't put too much thought in to my brass choice. If it makes a solid round with decent case mouth tension, it should be considered a perfectly good reloaded round.
Old May 2, 2011, 09:42 AM   #3
Gary Wells

Previously posted by user name "Sevens":
".............They may not last as long if the nickel plating begins to chip off, as the base brass is thinner on nickel plated cases..........."

I have never heard this before about nickel plated brass being thinner, could you elaborate on this please.
Old May 2, 2011, 10:24 AM   #4
overkill0084

The actual brass portion will be just a bit thinner to account for the thickness added by plating.
It's been my observation that Nickel cases tend to have a shorter lifespan. It was free, don't sweat it.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old May 2, 2011, 10:37 AM   #5
hogcowboy

Quote:
The actual brass portion will be just a bit thinner to account for the thickness added by plating.
It's been my observation that Nickel cases tend to have a shorter lifespan. It was free, don't sweat it
I use them all the time. See no difference in shooting. You just won't get as many reloads out of them.

American Legion Rider
Old May 2, 2011, 11:56 AM   #6
FlyFish

Quote:
They may not last as long if the nickel plating begins to chip off, as the base brass is thinner on nickel plated cases.
The nickel plating is so thin compared the brass that it's plated onto that I can't imagine there's any practical difference, and maybe no difference at all. Do they really make brass that's intended to be plated somewhat thinner than the regular stuff, or do they just take some from a regular production run and send it off to be plated?
Old May 2, 2011, 08:04 PM   #7
medalguy

The plating is only a few millionths of an inch. I assume the brass is exactly the same production.

And no extra precautions are required, except be sure the brass is clean before sizing. I managed to scratch a sizing die in .380 pretty badly with nickel plated brass. I have to assume there was some grit stuck into the plating that didn't tumble off. Never had any problems with yellow brass.
Old May 2, 2011, 08:23 PM   #8
firewrench044

the nickel plated will work just as good as non plated
nickel is harder and will crack and peal as stated before

the problem I ran into is some Speer brass ( 380 only )
has two (2) wall thicknesses
the lower part is thicker than the upper (upper is where the bullet
is seated )
I had to get a differant expander from RCBS (it was free )
to load those cases
( the original expander crushed or mangaled most of them )