The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 24, 2016, 06:14 PM   #26
troutbuzzard

you got me.
Old January 24, 2016, 06:17 PM   #27
troutbuzzard

I had to look that up just to know what they were. that's funny right there.
Old February 13, 2016, 06:38 PM   #28
Orion6

Ithacas are fine guns. My Dad loves Ithacas. He had a 20 gauge Featherlight from the 60's and found it's twin in 12 gauge on the used rack of a local shop a few years ago. Needless to say, he bought it (same year of manufacture to boot).

I do agree, sell it for something you want but don't chop it. Ithaca is still making fine shotguns, but something about those old guns just makes you want to keep them as-is.

Someone should buy it. Deerslayers are/were popular in the shotgun only states.
Old February 16, 2016, 05:58 PM   #29
johnwilliamson062

As pointed out above Ithacas are proportional to the gauge and shell length. It really makes the sub-gauges nice handle well. I only own 12s, but if I wanted a 20, 28, or 410 an ithaca would be very nice.
Old February 17, 2016, 12:07 AM   #30
troutbuzzard

ok i have changed my mind and decided to keep the 37 20 gauge. The gun really doesn't beg me to shoot it but it looks good sitting next to my dad's old 37 12 gauge and it will make a nice loner gun for visiting friends. besides used 870's are pretty cheap and as soon as my rap 6.5 creedmoor gets here (already lost interest in it, hopefully it'll peek again when it shows up) im going to start looking for the 870 within my budget, maybe even a mossy 500 but that would have to be almost free.
Old February 18, 2016, 06:57 AM   #31
darkgael

sg

Here's what I do not understand....and you surely do not have to justify wanting another shotgun....but, that being said, you have an Ithaca 12 ga. and an Ithaca 20 gauge. What do you expect an 870 to do that the Ithaca will not?
Spend the money on ammo.
Old February 18, 2016, 09:00 AM   #32
troutbuzzard

here is my reasoning, several years back i bought a plastic pistol grip stock for my 1100 12 gauge deer gun to try to save weight,needless to say it did'nt but i did realize that the pistol grip was very comfortable to shoot and to carry. i understand all my shotguns are capable of home defense,hunting,skeet,trap,sporting clays or just having fun with and I already own a Wingmaster 20 gauge but that gun is too pretty to mess with and i really like it so i want another one as a
tactical project, retractable stock, pistol grip, extended mag tube, reflex sight, cool paint job... you get the idea. its all just for fun and you cant get that stuff for an Ithaca 20 gauge

Last edited by troutbuzzard; February 18, 2016 at 10:26 AM.