The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 30, 2014, 07:45 PM   #1
Targa

Mossberg 500 tactical light

My dad has owned a Mossberg Thunder Ranch for a year and just took it out for the first time when I was visiting him and mom. Turns out he doesn't like it and rather have something else. Ok dad, well lets sell it and we will go shopping for a replacement, "nah" he replies, lets just call it an early inheritance from father to son..... I am going to get a Judge that I have been eyeballing. I tried, not very hard, but I did try to disuade him from just giving me the shotgun. Anyway, due to my dad's very generous gesture I now need a tactical light for the rail, any suggestions?
Old November 30, 2014, 08:32 PM   #2
Sharkbite

I run a Sure-fire scout light on a 590 with a similar forend. A X300 would also work well
Old November 30, 2014, 09:11 PM   #3
gedenke

I hear the surefire stuff is the coolest thing since yoga pants (on the right gal), but I just can't bring myself to pay those ridiculous prices. I could buy a lot of ammo or another gun for what they cost. The G2 would be an exception to that statement, but I really didn't care for it.

So I got an Inforce WML and so far I'm really happy with it. Now granted, I'm no operator or professional. But for my use, it's just fine.

Don't own a Streamlight, but rumor has it they're decent.

Let your wallet be your guide.
Old November 30, 2014, 09:19 PM   #4
riflemen

Best light I will buy is streamlight, the guys getting XXXX$$$$$ for weapon lights are just not doing anything drastically better, IMO the streamlights are even a little over priced... TLR2 is a nice light, you get strobe and to me that is an important factor, laser is a good option too..
Old November 30, 2014, 09:26 PM   #5
gedenke

Quote:
the guys getting XXXX$$$$$ for weapon lights are just not doing anything drastically better, IMO the streamlights are even a little over priced...
Exactly.

I'd really like to get a TLR-1s to put on my AR. That way I can play with both that and my Inforce and see which one I like better.

I wish I could get one of those Surefire hand guards for the shotty, but $300+ ?! Nope.

I'm sure this will ruffle some feathers, so I'm grabbing the fire extinguisher and donning my nomex!
Old November 30, 2014, 09:40 PM   #6
riflemen

I always try to make the purchase make sense, I have a streamlight on my HD weapon, the light was expensive {its got the laser that you can only see with night vision goggles}, but that is a $3000 gun, For me to spend $500 on a light i think the gun would have to be like $7000, lol...

I have streamlight flash lights, I have the big flashlight and mount on my yotey gun, I have 2 tlr1's {1 came with my les baer recon, the other I bought a LONG time ago...}, 2 tlr2's, and another tlr2 with the larger light... 4 of them are not mounted on guns, just sitting in the safe, I used to just put a light on anything with a rail, until I realised it doesnt make sense, I like a light on my hd weapon because I have tried it all 3 ways, holding the light, no light, and mounted light, the mounted light makes a much better gun for me...
Old December 1, 2014, 07:46 AM   #7
Targa

I have never put a tactical light on any of my firearms but I think it makes sense with a HD thumper like this shotgun. Anyway, I appreciate the responses and ideas. Thank you, Darrin.
Old January 25, 2016, 09:28 AM   #8
smoke pole

SureFire X300 A Pain

Not trying to resurrect the thread but responding to the comment about Surefire X300 product and IMO it is a bad choice because of mounting difficulty and routine maintenance.

First let me report that I just bought one from Gander Mountain at ⅓ off clearance, perhaps because it is being discontinued by the company or they just can’t sell them.

There are two ways to mount the light: 1. the sloppy way using a cheap bracket that I am concerned would be destined for failure and 2. the rock solid mount the MSRP $350.00 vs $300.00 actual retail and now discounted where available to $200.00 light that requires you to be able to get to six small allen screws to remove at the bench every time you have to change batteries.

I find the X300 to be a bad choice and will be returning the product to the store.