The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 3, 2020, 08:41 PM   #1
Doc Holliday 1950

damage by squib repaired

I just got my G43x back from Glock. They replaced the barrel for $20.00.
Went to my range & found that it shoots a tad lower than the the original but that's to be expected. I added a laser guide rod as a Holiday treat for myself & I've been practicing quick placement without aiming saving 2 or 3 seonds to fire. I found that my accuracy is in the center of the target not in tight groups but i'm hitting the the meat of the target.The accuracy is good up to 25 feet & I have no complaints & that's without using the laser. The Firing Line is a font of wisdom & information. Just ask the question in the correct manner & you will get some super information. Thanks everyone who shared Squibs with me.
One heck of a way to start the New Year.
If any of the responders have had similar actions please feel free to add your comments to my post.

Doc
Old January 5, 2020, 02:07 AM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

I will add this, anytime you are shooting and ANYTHING not "usual" happens, then training is done, plinking is done, that gun is done, until you find out what happened, and why.

If you have to cycle the slide, by hand, you're done, until you have cleared the pistol, AND checked the bore.

Tap, rack, bang is for when people are shooting at you. (and for planned failure drills) an automatic response may be "good training" but its poor safety.

Tap, rack, KA-BOOM is possible if you don't STOP, and make sure the bore is unobstructed.

I've never had a squib with rimfire ammo, though I have had many fail to fire, and some complete duds. Been reloading since the early 70s, and to date, I have had one squib (and it was my fault) a couple years ago. And, it was in a Desert Eagle .44 Mag.

Apparently somehow, Murphy got the best of me and the round had no powder. Slide did not cycle. Bullet stuck in the barrel just ahead of the chamber. It happened on the first round from a box I had loaded some months previously. Scared the crap out of me, and made me really worried about the rest of the rounds in the box. Desert Eagle retired for the day...

Some time later, I did shoot that ammo, from a Super Blackhawk, paying extra attention for anything out of the norm. They were all fine. To this day, I don't know why it happened, first time in over 35 years anything like that had ever happened, to me. Humbling, and proof I am not immune to mistakes.

ANYTIME anything is "off" STOP, and check the gun especially the barrel. If you're being shot at, then, of course all bets are off, but if you aren't being shot at, NOTHING is more important that making sure the gun is completely ok before the next round gets fired. And, if it means losing a match, or having the worlds greatest trophy get away, that's what it means.

My opinion, and worth what you paid for it.
Old January 5, 2020, 08:03 AM   #3
Sevens

The procedure you described above is what was ingrained in me from the earliest shooting days of my life when I started as a teenager. And I began my handloading career only a handful of months after I started shooting.

It wasn’t until the training trends became popular a decade or more later that it became (seemingly?) the norm to just speed through any form of a stoppage like an industrial machine designed for throughput and it is an internal conflict that I have had for the latter half of my short three decades as an enthusiast handgunner.

I would say that I have chosen to stick to my roots and approach a stoppage methodically but to be honest, I don’t believe I have chosen it, it was more developed and I haven’t altered that development.

It would limit my success in competition and would get be yelled at in an intense training class I’m sure.