The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 31, 2015, 09:11 PM   #26
Model12Win

The Federal Tactical Flight Control Wad 15 Pellet #1 buckshot is about tops though methinks.

As Mr. Gun and Gear show it's very high performance in ballistics gelatin. The shot spreads easily inside the target at close range. Also, the FC wad keeps the pattern well tight well past normal shotgun ranges. Good for both indoors AND outdoor defense. Ripe stuff methinks.
Old January 8, 2016, 04:15 AM   #27
ATN082268

<What is your preferred HD load for your shotgun?>

For home defense, I use 12 Gauge Federal, 2.75 inch, reduced recoil, 00 Buckshot (9 pellets) with Flitecontrol.
Old January 8, 2016, 07:43 AM   #28
ratshooter

My short barreled winchester has 3 00 buck and two slugs with it. I also have some S&B loads with #4 buck that would work also. My uncle was a homicide cop for many yeas and saw several HD shootings with a shotgun. Most were with #4 or #6 duck loads because thats what the homeowner had on hand. The guns were regular hunting guns put to use to protect the home. My uncle said that across the room they were "damned deadly".

I can understand your anger at me, but what could you possibly have against the horse I rode in on?
Old January 8, 2016, 11:24 AM   #29
Pyzon

Why would you choose birdshot for home defense if you have other choices ? First question you should ask yourself when deciding to defend yourself and family is if you are willing to end the life of a person that chose to cause harm. The whole question hinges on do you intend to wound an intruder, likely horribly, and face the lifetime of scrutiny, criticism and financial support a jury might award ? My opinion is go lethal or not at all.

I wish I could send you a photo of a high school classmate that tried to end his own life at 19 with a 12 gauge loaded with birdshot. The devastation at this close range was just about successful, but not quite.....
Old January 8, 2016, 03:03 PM   #30
Erno86

I like #4 00 Buck, but I've read that #4 shot is the best home defense load, because it will penetrate only through one layer of drywall --- If you fear that a stray shot might hit family or friends.

--- George Orwell
Old January 8, 2016, 05:38 PM   #31
Sharkbite

Quote:
For home defense, I use 12 Gauge Federal, 2.75 inch, reduced recoil, 00 Buckshot (9 pellets) with Flitecontrol.
That a great load at distance. Just be advised it does not open up at all inside of about 10yds.
Old January 8, 2016, 06:16 PM   #32
Model12Win

OOO buckshot rounds.
Old January 9, 2016, 05:42 AM   #33
ATN082268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbite
That a great load at distance. Just be advised it does not open up at all inside of about 10yds.
I appreciate the heads up. The lack of spread within 10 yards for that load has been my experience as well. It almost looks like a slug hit. I personally like tight patterns for my shotgun load, YMMV.

I've also shot at 15 yards and the pattern is still pretty tight, probably around hand sized or so spread. Sometime soon, I am going to do some shooting at 20 and 25 yards just to see what the spread is like as that distance would probably be pretty rare for home defense situations.
Old January 9, 2016, 12:15 PM   #34
James K
Member In Memoriam

No. 4 or even No. 6 shot will do as well as any, put more pellets out there than buck or slug loads, and shot that misses will do less damage to the walls, book shelves and other things in the house.

But there are two common misconceptions about shotguns for HD. One is that a shotgun unleashes a "cloud of shot that will fill a room and you can't miss" any BG in it. Shot spreads about 1" per yard of range, so across a 15 foot room, you get only about a 5" spread. Better aim.

The second is that persons in another room will be safe from over-penetration with a shotgun, even with buckshot. In fact at short range (say ten feet), even No. 7 shot (a common small game choice) will blow a big hole in most drywall and do serious harm to anyone behind it. Again, better aim.

Jim
Old January 12, 2016, 02:17 PM   #35
JERRYS.

I just got from the range testing out my 930 tactical with the +2 choate tube. I used Winchester and Remington high brass 00 buck without any problems. next up was some Suprema 00 buck, which looked to be low brass but higher than typical skeet load stuff. a few cycle failures, specifically two failures to fully eject and jamming up the action. no wonder the Suprema was $11 per box of 25. good pattern though but best suited for a pump or double bbl.
Old January 13, 2016, 11:50 AM   #36
JERRYS.

Paul Harrell has a nice video on youtube using makeshift walls and different loads to show penetration. for inside the house only type usage #4 buck looks awfully good.
Old January 13, 2016, 11:55 AM   #37
Model12Win

While I like my No. 1 FC wad tac buck, I do think a standard No. 4 buck load would be best if you live in a thin-walled apartment.
Old January 13, 2016, 12:05 PM   #38
JERRYS.

here is the video. its a little over 20 minutes but you can skip forward to the shotgun trial. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiHHgjaR0TI
Old January 14, 2016, 09:35 AM   #39
kcub

I'd hate to have to kill someone but if forced to shoot an attacker I'd also hate to have him and his scumbag attorney lying about what happened in court.
Old January 19, 2016, 09:47 PM   #40
jrothWA

HD loads are "00" buck in elastic carrier on butt-stock,

normally four with a fifth (slug) upside down from other, to distinguish it.

Been like that for last 24 years.
Old January 21, 2016, 11:25 AM   #41
jfruser

What I currently have loaded in social shotguns:
Rem1100 12ga cyl bore--Fed 00 buck full power FliteControl
Rem870 12ga cylbore--Rem Express 000 buck full power
Both 2 3/4" shells.
Guess what? The 1100 patterns best with 00 Fed FC, the 870 with 000.

I use buck since I am in the city and a neighbor has a wall facing me down my likeliest avenue of fire that is nothing but stick built with vinyl siding. Far enough that buckshot is very unlikely to penetrate, but a slug would tip its hat when passing through. Were I situated such that I was less worried about projectiles leaving my house, I would go slug every time. A soft foster slug for SD. I do not load my SD shotguns with slugs, but have it handy for a re-load if necessary.

I see the Win PDX loads as the worst of both worlds: the precision of buckshot with the penetration of a slug. You are hosed is you want slug precision and hosed if you are worried about overpenetration. Pick one: slug or buck.

Leave the birdshot for the little birdies. And the less-lethal for the LEOs.
Old February 5, 2016, 09:35 PM   #42
Sheikyourbootie

00 Bk is all I use.
Old February 7, 2016, 03:06 AM   #43
nightwolf1974

Living alone with no kids, ect......I have loaded firearms ALL OVER the house.

In my PG shotguns, I keep low brass #8 birdshot for IN THE HOUSE engagements upto 20' max.

In some shotguns, I keep high brass #4&#6 birdshot for "PESTS".

In yet other shotguns, I keep 2.75" 00buck, 000buck, & #4buck for YARD engagements 25' to 30' max.

After that....it's AR time!!!!
Old February 7, 2016, 01:09 PM   #44
Dreaming100Straight

Quote:
I've currently got Fiocchi Less Lethal as my first two out of the barrel, followed by Winchester PDX Defender. I keep the Less Lethal in there for the occasional wild animal (bear, javelina) that treads too close to the house if we are outside. If they force the issue they'll get the PDX or full on slug.
Should you have a home invasion, you may never get past the two less lethal rounds. I would rather keep an empty chamber with rook in the magazine to combat load the less lethal should an animal come around.
Old February 7, 2016, 01:46 PM   #45
10Ringmagic

IMHO, less than lethal in a home defense gun is a very bad idea. If you are justified in using a firearm for self defense, you want to decisively stop the threat NOW, if the attacker dies in the process of being stopped...oh well.

Less than lethal may not stop the threat.
Old February 7, 2016, 02:04 PM   #46
Rob228

I've got a magazine tube full of Federal LE #1 Buck and a side saddle with Hornady 00. Both of them hold 2" patterns or less at any distance inside my house.

Not to start a different debate... BUT my 16" barreled AR is much shorter, much more maneuverable and has pretty nasty terminal ballistics.
Old February 7, 2016, 02:16 PM   #47
Sarge

I have worked or assisted with three shotgun HD shootings with birdshot, from 'across the room' to 'down a long flight of stairs'. One to the face, one to the abdomen and one to the nether regions. None of the recipients were going to harm anybody immediately thereafter. The guy hit in the abdomen died.

I've got some 12 pellet 0 Remington 2 3/4" buck that IMO should be about perfect for an indoor/outdoor defense load to 25 yards. Photo is self-explanatory except for the birdshot pattern, which is a Winchester Universal from the same gun.

Last edited by Sarge; February 7, 2016 at 02:21 PM.