The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 25, 2007, 10:49 PM   #51
knightkrawler00

Furtive Movement

Movement consistent with going for or using a weapon, that which can not be construed as anything else.

The man got out of the car and stepped into an isoceles stance with an object in his hands that appeared to be a handgun. The cops had no other choices.
Old January 28, 2007, 03:20 PM   #52
John C

I think there are two separate videos, this one and a similar one where the suspect had a cell phone. I distinctly remember the one where the suspect was using a phone as a fake weapon. It was a bad move.

I don't know about the department where this was filmed, in my department the fact that the apparently "armed" suspect was fleeing toward a place with innocent bystanders would tilt this situation in favor of a shooting. Of course, it's the totality of the circumstances that determine a valid shooting, but the high potential for an armed, resisting suspect taking hostages and ending up in a standoff would change the matrix for a valid shoot.

-John