The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 12, 2015, 03:56 PM   #1
Skans

Beretta Gold Pigeon question...

I am looking for information on how the high relief engraving is done on the Beretta Gold Pigeons. I can't seem to find much about it. Is it hand engraved? Done by a machine? Or a combination of both. Also, is this style still in production? Any information is appreciated, thanks.
Old November 13, 2015, 09:57 AM   #2
FITASC

Depending on how old the gun in question is, it could hand, machine, or laser engraved with the latter two also possibly being "hand finished"
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 13, 2015, 12:08 PM   #3
NoSecondBest

Not just age, but grade. Usually you don't get hand engraving unless you've paid somewhere north of six or seven grand. Some of Beretta's work is outstanding. Angelo Bee was probably their premier engraver. I'm not sure he's still doing it or even how old he is now.
Old November 13, 2015, 12:30 PM   #4
FITASC

Quote:
Not just age, but grade. Usually you don't get hand engraving unless you've paid somewhere north of sixTEEN or sevenTEEN grand. Some of Beretta's work is outstanding. Angelo Bee was probably their premier engraver. I'm not sure he's still doing it or even how old he is now.
Fixed that for ya......

New Perazzis, Kolars and Kreighoffs have base prices around $12K now - any engraving on those is purely laser or machine done. Then there is the type of engraving - the traditional rose and scroll, a little heavier in the Celtic or Germanic style, or the over the top Bulino that looks like a photograph
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 13, 2015, 03:16 PM   #5
NoSecondBest

Not really. You could get a limited amount of engraving, even from Angelo Bee, for less than sixteen thousand. You've simply misquoted me. That being said, most guns with even modest engraving cost a bit more than six or seven thousand. A friend of mine had a higher grade of Beretta and had Mr. Bee do some engraving on it for less than sixteen thousand.
Old November 13, 2015, 07:45 PM   #6
FITASC

Try buying a truly engraved AB gun for a little cash.............