The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 15, 2009, 07:31 PM   #26
crowbeaner

IMR SR 4756 for all you listed.
Old April 15, 2009, 10:26 PM   #27
abber

Surprising that universal clays has not been mentioned yet. For low to mid range loads, it can't be beat IMHO. I first read about this powder many years ago (when gun mags actually did pieces on powders). It got very high marks from the writer, so I went and got some. It has been one of my favorite powders ever since. Economical, decent power and accuracy, and CLEAN.

While it is absolutely true that no single powder does it all (even within the range of a single caliber in some cases), universal is my main go-to powder for .38/.357, .40, and .44 Lite magnums.
Old April 15, 2009, 10:28 PM   #28
Dan The Sig Man

Low to mid Range Loads? Wha cal do you load with it. My local place had some of that in stock, but I had no clue to use it for pistol.
Old April 15, 2009, 11:05 PM   #29
PCJim

Bullseye or Unique as the universal pistol powders. W231 a very close followup.

I've heard good reports on Universal Clays but have not tried it yet. Then again, anything would have to be cleaner than BE.

Dan, so now you're joining the hoarding groups, wanting the shop owner to hold four 8# jugs of powder for you? (I just had to write that)
Old April 15, 2009, 11:24 PM   #30
Dan The Sig Man

NO!!! I would never do that... I asked him to keep me 4 or 8 pounds... Not 4-8 pounds... That would be WAY over what I would ever use anytime soon... I wanted to try and get a 4# of Bullseye and a 4# of something else like a ramshot or something... I would never need 32lbs of powder at one time.
Old April 16, 2009, 12:44 AM   #31
awaveritt

Quote:
Awaveritt?

Can you post a Link to the Gander mountain site. I looked all over the Gander Mountain tha I found in google search, and cant find ANY reloading equipment or supplies where I was.
Dan the sig man, The Gander Mtn I was referring to is in College Station, Tx. Their truck comes in on Mondays and stuff is starting to trickle in but you just have to be there before it starts disappearing. Lucked into 1000 small pistol primers a couple Mondays back.

Good Luck
Old April 16, 2009, 04:11 AM   #32
BillCA

For those of you lamenting the lack of favorite powders, now is a good time to try out some others you may have overlooked, when they are available. For instance, if you use Hodgdon's Clays but can't find it, you might want to try Alliant's American Select or Vihtavuori's N320.[1]

By developing loads using similar powders from different manufacturers you'll still be able to reload if your "favorite" powder is in short supply.[2]

Bullesye has been around a long time and there are many formulas for reloading almost any handgun cartridge with it. It's economical in light to medium handgun loads due to its fast burn rate. For the budget-minded reloader, it's a long time favorite.

Alliant's Red-Dot and Hodgdon's Titegroup are fairly close in their burn rates and should produce similar results.

Alliant's Unique and Hodgdon's Universal Clays are also close in terms of burn rates. Unique probably has more forumlations for different bullet weights. It is also relatively economical, especially for mid-range to higher powered loads.

Alliant's 2400 has typically been the slowest powder I've used for pistols and usually for magnum loads. Considerable fiddling is required to adjust loads and crimps to get complete combustion. Otherwise you end up with a lot of unburned powder in the barrel and chambers. It's not terribly economical but for a 6" or longer barreled magnum with firmly crimped loads it can produce a lot of power. Hodgdon's Lil Gun falls into this same range of powder.

I'm still catching up with the idea that Hodgon is making Winchester powders. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Hodgdon's H-110 is the same as Winchester's 296 ball powder today. (And both are slightly slower than 2400 powder).

Cautions:
[1] This is not to imply these powders are identical. Different powders can produce different pressures. Always use recommended powder weights for the brand and type of powder.
[2] The other advantage to knowing how to load with less popular powders is that gun shops will sometimes discount slower selling powders if you ask. For example, if your shop is out of Unique and Universal Clays, try Hodgdon's HS-5 for pistol loads.
Old April 16, 2009, 06:32 AM   #33
j357

+1 on clays universal for 9mm and 38/357. I have been loading for a few months and doing a bunch of reading for over a year. I started with HP38 and clays universal, I have decided to stick with universal for now.

I like:
-meters well and consistent from my lee pro auto on the press.
-I consider it to be generally clean burning, but as I indicated, not much to comare it with in my limited experience.
-I do not percieve any significant muzzle flash with mid loads I am using.
-it is available in the three places I shop.

Only issues I have found with it are:
-requires upper range of charge to cycle in some of my 9mms
-small range from min to max on .380
-a few bulged .380 cases from semi unsupported chamber area of a makarov. I have stopped testing on this as it will require more research and maybe a different powder selection.

One suggestion I have is for you to do a search here on 'universal' and 'quickload' and caliber of choice to try to find a schedule showing predicted load data, very interesting reading.
Old April 16, 2009, 07:36 AM   #34
45Marlin carbine

interesting thread. anyone with feedback on RamShot pistol powers?
suppose to be cheaper in price and a 'flattened or partially flattened spherical' powder so should meter/dipper well.
I haven't used but if what I've read is correct then 'silohuette' is looking good.
Old April 16, 2009, 09:48 AM   #35
abber

It seems that Universal Clays is pretty much in stock everywhere. I went looking for powders recently, and UC was one that was in stock. I have a 4 pounder already, though. I load .38/.357 with it, as well as .40 S&W, and lighter stuff for the .44 also.

For those of you who haven't tried it, go get a pound and give it a whirl. I really think that most of you would be pleasantly satisfied. It is a wonderful powder within its useful range.

As far as Ramshot powders, I'd like to try True Blue and Enforcer, but niether of those are carried at my local Sportsman's Whorehouse. I'll find em one day.

Last edited by abber; April 16, 2009 at 09:54 AM.
Old April 16, 2009, 10:30 AM   #36
webby4x4

Would it be safe to assume that for general plinking, light target loads and "budget" loads that powders like Bullseye and Univ. Clays would be a good bet, and that for competition shooting (IDPA, getting most accurate target shoots, etc.) that something like Power Pistol and Titegroup would be the better powder?

Rick
Old April 16, 2009, 10:53 AM   #37
45Marlin carbine

Power Pistol does well in all chamberings I load jacketed slugs for.
better than 3 other powders I used, 2 Win and BE.
quite noticeable improvement in 9mm Mak and 9mm Para
Old April 17, 2009, 08:42 AM   #38
WESHOOT2

I have more than one hammer

And (currently) 24 handgun powders.

Know what I mean?

(Power Pistol is an excellent 'one powder' powder.)
Old April 17, 2009, 08:45 AM   #39
Dragon55

Bullseye

... lots of info on lots of loads in lots of manuals. Been around long time.
Old April 18, 2009, 10:56 PM   #40
lowbud

Thanks for all the good info folks.. But my attempts to find both powder and primers have run out. I'm stuck with all this and nothing to shoot. Anyone care to part with a few hundred large/small primers? Magnum too?

I have Blue Dot, Red Dot and PB. I guess I'll use that for now if I can locate any primers. The situation blows big time!

Last edited by lowbud; April 18, 2009 at 11:26 PM.
Old April 19, 2009, 03:30 AM   #41
Dan The Sig Man

Yeah well I wish I could get my hands on some BullsEye... But guess what? EVERYONE is out of it. Powder is starting to become a second Primer issue. I guess I will wait on the BE and go with something different (Dont know what exactly for 9mm and .40cal)... Maybe I will figure that out with that of what my Local places have.
Old April 19, 2009, 07:01 AM   #42
lowbud

OMG! I just hit the buy it now on GB for 1k primers at $75. What the hell is wrong with me?
Old April 19, 2009, 08:08 AM   #43
wingman

I use titegroup and aa5 for calibers you stated, they work great for me
and I've always tried to keep it simple in terms of components(more
types, more waste) but in the end it's what works for you.
Old April 19, 2009, 12:18 PM   #44
Dan The Sig Man

Damn LOWBUD... I am sorry to hear that. It is tough to pass those things up. It is a fact that people have them, and you are passionate about your shooting, reloading and you need them to fulfill that passion. It just sucks that people have to resort to paying that Price.

Has anyone ever used ShotShell powder for Pistol? What is a good ShotShell powder for 9mm and .40 cal?
Old April 19, 2009, 12:54 PM   #45
tiberius10721

blue dot,green dot,and clays are just some of the other powders You can use dan.keep in mind though that not all powders meter the same for example I bought some green dot that I was going to reload 38 special with and it wouldnt meter out worth a darn in my lee powder measure.powders like bullseye and hp 38 meter out within 1/10th of a grain in my lee powder measure.I just bought the last bottle of bullseye at my local gunstore.Now Im buying tite group until he runs out of that.Its even hard finding black powder.Ive been watching some videos on making black powder and I think in the future Im going to try making my own.I can cast my own lead balls.then all I have to do is buy a ton of percussion caps
Old April 19, 2009, 01:11 PM   #46
Russ5924

For me Titegroup or W231
Old April 19, 2009, 02:12 PM   #47
Dan The Sig Man

Well I dont know if I will be able to find any of those other than getting them on the Internet. My local places are getting scarse on quite a bit of stuff. I am starting to keep my eyes open at the store a couple times a week, but have only gotten lucky once so far this past week. I think I might just add a backorder at Grafs or somewhere and add a 5,000 or SSP and add a 4 or 8 lb of powder. My local place is supposed to hold me a 8 lb of BE, IF it ever shows up.
Old April 19, 2009, 06:18 PM   #48
lowbud

I just returned from the gun show in nashville. No primers. Little powder, and well.. quite the disappointment. Anyway, I have found enough items to make my own loads now so I won't be in the ammo market for a while. It's just amazing to see people walking out the door with ammo paying 3 times the price. 9mm at 22+ a box of 50. Yeah, I did pay $75 for 1000 primers but at least I saved the $25 hasmat midsouth would have charged me to ship them, IF they ever get any in stock. So I figure I paid twice the price. I can live with that I suppose.

Happy shooting and hunting folks..
Old April 19, 2009, 07:25 PM   #49
webby4x4

Well... there I was today, reloading some .45 ACP (about 200 rounds or so). My loving wife walks into the shop, seeing me sprawled out on the ground, desperately looking for something.

She politely asks... "Honey, do you want me to vaccum this area for you?"

My reply... For the love of God woman - NO!!!

Yeah, I dropped a single primer and wouldn't let it go unfound. You'd have thought I dropped my wedding ring, or was searching for some lost, injured soldier.
Old April 19, 2009, 07:40 PM   #50
brian45auto

been happy with universal in .45acp and 357mag. probably use it .38spl and 45colt(if i load any in smokeless). have heard it does well in 9x19, tho i do not load that yet.
probably should buy an 8lb jug while i can still find it.