The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: Have you ever accidently discharged your handgun?
Yes, I did. 236 29.80%
No, never. 556 70.20%
Voters: 792. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 31, 2009, 01:08 AM   #251
Ryder

Quote:
can you please elaborate on the picture with reference to the material in structure? thanks
I'd prefer not too, it is very embarassing

The house is a very very old structure. I would describe the material as quarter inch thick wood slats nailed to the framing with a fine mesh chicken wire stretched over that to hold a plasterlike substance. The plaster has the consistency of concrete and as can be seen in the picture is about a half inch thick.

There is an empty space behind the wall pictured and then another wall about 18 inches behind that beyond which exists a built in book case constructed of fairly thick wood.

That's a 45acp hole from a 5 inch barrel and you can see the rapid expansion which occurred. The good news is I learned not to handle my guns way past my bedtime.
Old December 31, 2009, 05:06 PM   #252
ColdBore

I rest my case.
Old January 1, 2010, 01:18 AM   #253
Firepower!

@Ryder
Did the bullet completely peneterate through the first wall? If so, how much damage it do to the next?

I see that you sleepy when playing your toys.
Old January 1, 2010, 01:32 AM   #254
sonick808

came close, but no; none yet.

I was lowering the hammer on a live round after checking a 2AM knock on the door, and the hammer slipped from about the halfway point.

I instantly braced for a round to go off, but it didn't. Left a very small ding in the primer and nothing more. *phew*

Realized the next day that the .38 special loads I had chambered at the time were loaded with mil-spec primers because that was all my small-town shop had in at the time. I believe the mil-spec primers prevented me from having a negligent discharge.
Old January 1, 2010, 04:56 AM   #255
9Para

Nope, not once. Any time one of my guns goes bang, i will it to go bang.
Old January 1, 2010, 05:30 AM   #256
Firepower!

I asked one my firend this question and his answer was "the day when I have an AD/ND, I done owning guns."

I wonder how to really judge his statement.
Old January 1, 2010, 05:57 AM   #257
Uncle Billy

Firepower!: What's his phone number? When (not "if", but "when") it happens to him, and assuming he's true to his word, I'll make him a deal for his guns.

Twice for me in about 60 years, the first when I was shooting my first doubles while learning to shoot trap. If you close the action of a Model 12 Winchester pump shotgun with the trigger back, it will discharge as soon as the action is closed. Maybe all pump actions do that, I don't know. I missed the second bird, what a surprise. I experimented a little with doing that on purpose when shooting 2 birds but it didn't work.

The second was with a Herter's .44 Magnum "SAA", which wasn't all that wonderful mechanically. Among other ugly things, the cylinder fell out once after 3 shots without checking that the cylinder axle rod was firmly in place. The AD was while it was pointed at the ground about 2" from my foot- I cocked it and was raising it to aim but it went off with my finger out of the trigger guard which was clearly a mechanical failure. After that I never loaded it again, and never cocked anything until it was pointed downrange. The gun is retired from active duty entirely, and hangs in the gun room in a western style holster as decoration.
Old January 4, 2010, 02:09 PM   #258
stargazer65

No, not ever. So far in all the six weeks I've owned one I've kept a perfect safety record.
Old January 4, 2010, 07:31 PM   #259
cole k

In almost 50 years of handling firearms I've not ever AD or ND with a pistol. I have had an AD with a Rem 700 when I closed the bolt. I've also had a ND while lowering the hammer on a levergun. Both times the muzzle was pointed in a safe direction.
Old January 4, 2010, 10:57 PM   #260
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Firepower!: What's his phone number?
I hope you got free long distance, Uncle Billy!
Old January 4, 2010, 11:00 PM   #261
KC9LDB

9mm JHP right through the wall, learned my lesson on having oily hands and lowering the hammer
Old January 4, 2010, 11:29 PM   #262
Ryder

Quote:
Did the bullet completely peneterate through the first wall? If so, how much damage it do to the next?
Unknown. The area between the walls is a sealed off empty space. Pretty sure it made it through the first wall.
Old January 5, 2010, 03:39 PM   #263
Blue Steel

Main Entry: ac·ci·dent
Pronunciation: \ˈak-sə-dənt, -ˌdent; ˈaks-dənt\
Function: noun

1 a : an unforeseen and unplanned event or circumstance b : lack of intention or necessity : chance <met by accident rather than by design>
2 a : an unfortunate event resulting especially from carelessness or ignorance b : an unexpected and medically important bodily event especially when injurious <a cerebrovascular accident> c : an unexpected happening causing loss or injury which is not due to any fault or misconduct on the part of the person injured but for which legal relief may be sought d —used euphemistically to refer to an involuntary act or instance of urination or defecation
Old January 6, 2010, 12:34 PM   #264
Ian0351

So 2-d above could refer to the AD that immediately follows the ND?

Is that what you meant?

I have had one (posted several pages ago) and do no believe in the terminology 'Accidental' even if it is technically accurate. Discharging your weapon when you don't want to is NEGLIGENT.

Semper Fidelis
Old January 7, 2010, 10:38 AM   #265
Uncle Billy

Stevie-Ray: Right, I didn't look at where he was from. But a phone call would be the least of my troubles- if he did sell me his guns, how would I ever get them into the US from Pakistan? They're probably all full-auto AK's or something else totally illegal here.

"That's very different...Never mind." quoth Emily Litella.
Old January 7, 2010, 02:46 PM   #266
MCCALL911

In my case, I readily admit that "accidental" = negligent. It didn't happen with a handgun, but with a Browning BAR in .338 Win Mag. I negligently and stupidly had my finger still on the trigger when I lowered the rifle to look at my target. Result: Discharge. No one was hurt, no damage done, but I never forgave myself because my son was with me. I realize that I could have easily used the excuse that I wasn't used to a semi-auto rifle, but IMO it's still inexcusable.

From then on, I've been very careful to observe the rule "Keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to shoot!"

Moe Howard: "Fire at will!"
Larry Fine: "Which one's Will?"
Old January 7, 2010, 03:49 PM   #267
Firepower!

uncle b, i dont think even he would mind giving his numbers since he is all thumbs when reading possible SHTF scenarios on the net and accidents relating to guns. Only problem is that you will have to come here to pick up the weapon.
Old January 14, 2010, 01:16 AM   #268
chevelle383

Negligently, Yes.
Glock...Standing in my kitchen was "playing" with it. Had a "few" beers. Thought mag was out, cocked to "make sure there was not a bullet in the chamber (there wasnt until I let it go obviously) pointed it in a "safe " direction, and pulled the trigger. I was completely stunned, trying to figure out why my ears were ringing.
Most embarrasing moment in my life...ever.
Im just very glad I didnt manage to break rule #1
Dont point a gun at anything you dont want to destroy! You can break other rules and bad things can happen, but it shouldnt end in tragedy.
Sometimes you can become TOO comfortable, I often remind myself of this when I use a table saw almost daily.
Oh...and that incident messed me up in the head for about 3 weeks
Old January 15, 2010, 02:36 PM   #269
semi_problomatic

Maybe the rule about drinking and guns should be applied as well.

Never AD/ND'd a handgun or rifle, but once, when I was 13 we were rabbit hunting. I was using a .410 single shot. Thought I saw a rabbit, cocked and aimed...didn't see anything so I lowered the shotgun and released the hammer but my finger slipped about halfway through and the shotgun went off. It was still pointed in a safe direction. But that was my ND

There IS a difference between AD and ND. AD could be mechanical failure, like the M4, every time you charge it, it puts a dent in the primer. IF you don't know that and recycle your rounds over and over (IE every time you enter the gate you put the round back on top of your mag) eventually it'll go off (happened to a group of guys while stacked on a house. still have NO idea why he didn't lock and load before getting to the doorstep)

On the other hand some guys were "cleaning their weapons". Some how a round went off. This was a ND because they didn't check properly that the weapon was cleared.

To sum it up, AD is when you do everything right and something fails, ND is when you fail.
Old January 15, 2010, 03:27 PM   #270
Daugherty16

No ADs, no NDs

But i did catch myself doing draw/unsafe/aim exercises once WITHOUT unloading first and inserting snap caps. I draw, my thumb is unsafing as i aim, finger goes to the trigger as i come in to the weaver stance. I'm normally reasonably fast, but practice this with more frequency in the winter when i'm routinely wearing heavier clothing that can slow down the draw.

Despite the house being empty with everyone off doing something else, and i wasn't pulling the trigger, just clearing the holster and coming into battery, that scared the Bejeezus out of me. I was violating all sorts of rules, and the snapcaps are only 1 room away.

Never again.

(the next time, it'll be something else, i'm sure)

Oh yeah, does it count if i am surprised every time my rifle or shotgun goes off while aimed at a deer? No, i guess not.
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness... How pathetic." - - Ted Nugent

"Cogito, Ergo Armitum Sum" - (I Think, Therefore I Am Armed)- - anon.
Old January 20, 2010, 03:25 PM   #271
i50sx

I just got my first pistol, was standin shoulder to shoulder with two buddies(former)....let it go in the dirt(down range).

In this case following the safety procedure's kept me from shootin someone

Still makes you feel really smart.

I had fired first round double action and didn't realize it went to single action for each consecutive round.
Old January 20, 2010, 11:12 PM   #272
headbangerJD

okay, i'll put myself out there

Hopefully somebody will learn from my mistake.

Just a few weeks ago I was cleaning my new 'used' Taurus 605 in my living room. I had just finished thoroughly cleaning it and looked at the time. It was 2pm, time for me to start my drive to Cleveland. I loaded the bullets and started to put the gun in my pocket holster when all of a sudden I noticed some crud on the barrel. I picked up the cleaning rag and wiped it off, then went to wipe off the rest of the gun, and BAM.

I was stunned, deaf. I unloaded my gun, threw it in the safe, and looked for the bullet hole. I found the hole in my tv, then ran outside to check everything out. When I came back in I took a closer look at my tv (new 42in LCD flatscreen) and realized that the .38 JHP didn't go through.

Luckily for me, my $800 tv stopped the bullet before it could leave the house. The bullet went through the screen, an 1/8in thick steel plate behind the screen, and stopped after hitting another steel plate on a circuit board.

After thinking about how I let my guard down, I realised it was because I was in a rush to leave. After loading the gun, I saw the crud on the barrel. When I started cleaning my gun again, I went back to my gun cleaning state of mind, believing it was empty, which led me to break the unimaginably important gun safety rules. I was negligent. I shouldn't have touched my gun while in a rush. I shouldn't have started cleaning the gun without re-checking the chamber.

I have learned my lesson after my very stupid mistake. I hope that someone else will learn from this story, as I did.

Last edited by headbangerJD; January 20, 2010 at 11:19 PM.
Old January 20, 2010, 11:57 PM   #273
semi_problomatic

Why is it someone has to trot out a dictionary every time there's a discussion? So if I had an unfortunate event where I was too stupid to check my chamber and squeezed a round into a buddy, and I was just kidding...I guess thats an accidental discharge and not due to my negligence?

Also on the loading a semi-auto and throwing one in the chamber... Not to do so kinda defeats the purpose of carrying:

"Wait Mr. BG I haven't had time to cock my pistol yet," *stomp foot now* "this is so unfair!"

Or you have a nice two handed weapon. Either way it doesn't make sense. That'd be like saying carry a revolver but don't load the first two chambers the hammer is going to hit, just in case. I'd still be able to draw, aim and go through an empty cylinder faster than you'd be able to draw, charge, aim, and shoot. I don't load one under the hammer, even on the range, just to get good practice. But I've got a .45 LC replica with no safety, and I want to keep in good practice. Thats in case I'm carrying it and the hammer gets caught/jarred/dropped whatever, the thing won't go off. But if I pull the hammer back, its going to shoot. And I can do that with one hand WITHOUT any fancy smancy holster tricks, or trying to chamber a round off my leg or something crazy...which could lead to a half-cock (pun intended).

Deployed I ALWAYS charge my rifle as I leave the gate. I don't walk around the streets of (insert foreign country here) with an empty chamber. It just doesn't make sense to do it here. Sure you have to take a little more caution. Sure you gotta train that way. But its worth it in the end. Just unload the thing before you go inside. I don't see the point in keeping a round in the chamber inside, considering I'd have far more time to react INSIDE my own home. But then again I also don't see the point of keeping a gun in a safe for my personal protection because I'd like to be able to get to it in a timely manner. I don't have kids running around the house to play with it sure, but I'd like to think if I did that I'd of beat them enough to know not to touch daddy's things.

But I don't use a semi-auto for personal protection because I believe they have entirely too many things that could go wrong. Small moving parts, springs getting weak over time cause they're left loaded forever, blah blah blah. In country I kept spare magazines and rotated 1 a week, which gave each one a week "off" every 6 weeks. I don't know if it actually helped or not but I never had a misfire or weapon jam. I doubt many people with their personal protection semi-autos do that.

This is just my opinion and I've never claimed to be the smartest guy around but we can test it. You jump out at me with my revolver; and I'll jump out at you the next, with your unchambered semi-auto.

Last edited by semi_problomatic; January 21, 2010 at 12:08 AM. Reason: conjunction junction, whats your function?
Old March 29, 2010, 10:37 PM   #274
Olibobwa

Not me personally but it was my handgun.

Several years ago a buddy of mine called wanting to know if he could borrow a handgun to take to Florida over the weekend. I happened to have an extra snub nose that I was interested in selling anyway so I figured I'd let him take it and see if he liked it.

Now it never registered with me that my friend might be and idiot. I knew he had owned a glock some time before and had grown up around guns as well. So I didn't think twice about bringing the gun right in and handing it to him. big mistake. This fool cocks the hammer (loaded) and proceeds to try and decock it just before BOOOOM!!!! blowing a hole in the wall. He killed an air jordan, a bookcase, the wall, and a cabinet on the other side. I saw it coming too when he went to fiddling with the trigger. I'm sure it looks just as bad on me for not just assuming that he wasn't safe. I grew up around guns and, thanks to my father, never made an unsafe mistake more than once (knock on wood); so I just assumed he knew how to handle them as well.

When that thing went off he turns pale as a ghost, throws the gun on the floor and runs to the other side of the room I can't laugh too much, it scarred the hell out of me too

It's amazing some of the things we can look back at as we get older and think wow that could have turned out really bad. That was the last time I ever handed over a loaded firearm to anyone short of being able to pass it with the muzzle pointed downrange.

Luckily, I don't think he's fired a gun since
Old March 31, 2010, 03:00 PM   #275
elwaynum1

Never have, thank God.

But it seems also that alot of people have had issues with manually decocking their firearms. Just curious, what are you all's thought about this? Because when I carry my 1911, I like to have the hammer decocked to assure myself there wont be any kind of ND (of course it can still happen)..but in the process of decocking, I know that it is a dangerous process. So, do any of you all manually decock your loaded firearms?

Tags
accidental discharge , negligent discharge