The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 4, 2019, 03:40 PM   #1
SerenityNetworks

Texas Garage Storage (not climate controlled)

Question: Is there a way to properly store traditional long guns in a Texas non-climate controlled garage?

I may be in the situation where it would be better to keep my guns in a detached garage versus the apartment, if I can do so without ruining them. The guns would be stored in a lower end gun safe that would allow for more temperature variations and airflow than some of the more behemoth type safes. Will silicone dry-packs and perhaps a heating/dehumidifier rod be adequate? Are there other measures to take. Or is it really just a bad, bad, idea?

Thanks,
Andrew

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old March 4, 2019, 06:09 PM   #2
jag2

I think what you are describing is a condo/apartment complex where you have a storage unit in the covered parking area. Maybe it’s a very secure complex but that would just scare the bejeebers out of me. Couldn’t you hide them under the bed? Seriously though, it sounds like it could get expensive to carry out a not very good idea. I live in Dallas so I understand your concerns about the heat. I think my guns get rusty just by me sweating on them at the range.
Old March 4, 2019, 06:14 PM   #3
TXAZ

Do you have the ability to put a heater rod in the safe?

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old March 4, 2019, 09:03 PM   #4
SerenityNetworks

Thank you all.

We're looking at a senior living facility in McKinney, Texas. We're currently in Allen. Both are just north of Dallas. It's a facility currently under construction. It's anticipated to be ready for occupancy in late September. This wouldn't be a simple storage unit. It will be a detached (from main building, but in-line with several others) extended garage; that is, it will accommodate a full size vehicle plus some additional workspace at the end (suitable for a reloading bench, etc.). The only deal is that it won't be climate controlled; no AC, no heat. It will have electrical outlets, so I can put a heater rod in the safe.

I've since heard back from the management. Guns storage will be allowed in the apartments (although no open or concealed carry). If that continues to be the case then putting the safe in the garage may not ever occur. Still, I'd rather be prepared for the worst, which would be storage outside the apartment. I've never store guns anywhere but indoors, so that's why I'm wondering if garage storage would be an issue.

Thanks again,
Andrew