The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 25, 2012, 02:51 PM   #1
checkmyswag

What is a good quality brand for bags/packs?

Looking for a quality range back but more of a...ahem..."tactical" type bag. One sturdy enough to be used at the range, but also packed up for 2 days or so worth of gear including magazines/ammo.

If you've got a specific model to suggest great, but I'm trying to determine which brands are good quality but not excessively expensive.
Old April 25, 2012, 03:04 PM   #2
Te Anau

These look pretty cool & the price surely can't be beat.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/opmod-ta...back-pack.html
Old April 25, 2012, 03:13 PM   #3
Te Anau

^^^^^ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rYTRxGUicc
Old April 25, 2012, 07:37 PM   #4
ClydeFrog

Gear, packs, bags...

Depending on your budget & uses, I'd check a few of these top military-LE-outdoor firms;
www.Blackhawk.com www.csmgear.com www.5.11tactical.com www.uscav.com www.policeHQ.com www.maxpedition.com www.qmuniforms.com www.cabelas.com www.cheaperthandirt.com

Blackhawk is based in VA Beach, Virginia & was started by a US Navy SEAL. 5.11 has a great line of gear bags & cases.
Maxpedition is known for packs & rucksacks.

Clyde
Old April 25, 2012, 08:25 PM   #5
sigcurious

+1 on maxpedition, I use one of their messenger bags(the larger one) as a range bag. My one complaint is also one of the things I like the most about it. It's easy to configure it to your liking. Almost every compartment has the loop side of velcro on in it, allowing you to put whatever in there. The downside is to make the bag the way I wanted it I had to fork over $50 more.

Not sure about some of their other bags, but from what I remember when I shopped for mine was that their bags seemed to range from very tactical looking to relatively plain, and from somewhat configurable to very configurable.
Old April 25, 2012, 11:40 PM   #6
BarryLee

Quote:
+1 on maxpedition
While I do not have one of their range bags I do have a couple of their other bags and they seem well built. I also have a small 5.11 pack that I bought used from a friend and it also seems pretty good.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old April 27, 2012, 09:06 PM   #7
baddarryl

I have found http://www.lapolicegear.com/
to be a good source for stuff.. I got a range bag from the for $20 that is 40 everywhere else and it is fantastic quality etc.
Old April 27, 2012, 09:57 PM   #8
insomni

Camelbak makes really good tactical packs, so does Maxpedition. If you want the REAL high end of the spectrum, London Bridge Trading Company and Tactical Tailor. I've got an ACU Camelbak bag that I've had since 2007, and STILL has no holes. I just picked up a Maxpedition in tan, and it seems to be really well designed and durable so far.

Blackhawk! is really hit or miss. Their personnel retention lanyards are great, but I had my chest rig come apart in Iraq WHILE on a foot patrol when i was trying to tighten a buckle. No, the buckle didn't break, the entire seam holding the buckle on completely deconstructed, and left the front pannel (with my mags, radio, etc) flapping. Thank God for 550cord and 100mph tape. I've also had pouches shred and fall apart under normal (stressful combat situations) where the TAG pouches I had on at the same time were fine. Their boots fall apart in a harsh desert/urban environment... a few bad experiences with them, and I never felt too inclined to dish out the hefty amount of cash for one of their assault bags.
Old April 27, 2012, 10:51 PM   #9
bbqbob51

Midway competition range bag

I like my Midway Competition Range bag very much. I paid $39 for mine about 3 years ago and it is still going strong. It is currently on sale for $45. I has all kinds of compartments, is rugged and well laid out with lots of features. I have it really loaded up right now and that sucker is heavy! You can't beat it for the price. There are plenty of reviews online with videos on Youtube.
Old May 8, 2012, 08:17 PM   #10
Ropin4gold

I use maxpedition and camelback packs at work. Both are top shelf.
Old May 8, 2012, 11:49 PM   #11
bmjp

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/939...tion-range-bag