The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: Based on the "Had to draw" thread, what would be your first choice?
Arm yourself, stay inside, call the law... 63 87.50%
Arm yourself, run outside, take your chances.... 9 12.50%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old January 3, 2007, 01:38 PM   #26
meanoldman

I'd send my daughter outside to take care of them.

If she wasn't home I'd go for number one.
Old January 3, 2007, 02:30 PM   #27
dixierifleman

all this talk about cops, how many times have the cops been too late? i can think of at least one in my hometown. cant find the article right now but i have it somewhere. it was a home invasion, they heard the guy tryin to break in, called 911, and waited. by the time the cops get there, the burglar had them tied up, beaten, and gagged and made off with all he wanted. it was a mother and a son. the son was 17. if the would have called the neighbor, who was a gunowner, im sure it wouldnt have gone down like that. the burglar was armed with a meat cleaver and pocket knife. sorry, but when i put my life in the hands of someone else, its not gonna be someone 10 miles away or at another crime scene. YOU have the right to defend yourself. YOU have the option to help someone else. i for one will always opt to help someone else in time of need.
Old January 3, 2007, 02:57 PM   #28
spacemanspiff

Well since the actual topic is about whether or not you should investigate someone trespassing on your property, or call the police, stick to the subject matter please.

If the scenario was 'BG busts down your door, do you call the police or grab the shottie' then you would have everyones support. But thats not what we are talking about. You want validation to jump outside and confront a stranger that you assume to be a threat, based on nothing more than that person trespassing. You didn't see a weapon in his hands, you didn't hear him threaten anyone, you just want to point your gun at someone. You come up with 'what ifs...' that are just downright ridiculous. You think you have all the answers wrapped up with you and your gun. Are you forgetting the other side of the 'What if' coin?

What if theres others you didnt see, the BG's accomplices, and they shoot you on sight? What if in the excitement you shoot and it winds up being one of your friends or relatives, inebriated and trying to find a place to sleep it off? What if its an undercover cop thats searching for a suspect? Do you have tattooed on your forehead "Good Guy! Police Don't Shoot me!" ?

Its not a matter of cowardice. Its common sense.
Do you run to the sound of gunshots as well?
Old January 3, 2007, 02:59 PM   #29
dixierifleman

what if what if what if
Old January 3, 2007, 03:28 PM   #30
meanoldman

If you want someone to show up fast with sirens going call the fire department--apologize after.
Old January 3, 2007, 03:32 PM   #31
dixierifleman

thats actually a good idea. probably be your best bet these days
Old January 3, 2007, 03:58 PM   #32
Hedley

If a neigbor told you that someone jumped into your backyard, how is that perceived as an imminent threat which warrants a sweep in the yard with a shotgun? What, are they going to make off with your kid's swingset? Sounds like a good way to find trouble and deal with a whole stinkload of liablity issues, mental anguish and legal troubles. Not to mention you don't know if the guy, who holds the tactical advantage, in your backyard is armed or drugged.

And plus, it's raining outside and dinner's on the table...
Old January 3, 2007, 03:58 PM   #33
Wildalaska

Give it up Dixie, you arent going to get a lot of Rambo support here.

WildyoucanlearnjustpayattentionAlaska
Old January 3, 2007, 04:10 PM   #34
wayneinFL

dixierifleman:
Quote:
it was a home invasion, they heard the guy tryin to break in, called 911, and waited.
Right. Not a guy in the backyard, a guy in the house. If someone is in your yard and you arm yourself, stay inside, lock the doors, and call the police you'll do just fine in such a situation.

Nobody's telling you not to defend yourself. They're telling you not to do something stupid and end up dead or in prison.

Old January 3, 2007, 04:29 PM   #35
OBIWAN

What is that quote about "fools rushing in"

In this case they are rushing out....but you get the idea

I hope that all those brave people "fightin for this country" understand that advantage you have by being in the house rather than moving around outside

I hope they are all smart enough to know when they should move and when it makes sense to stay put.

They (or their officers) should understand the advantage goes to the defender...not the attacker

Too many people have small defensive toolboxes

When they put the firearm in all the other tools have to come out

The number one tool is avoidance...and it is seldom found in the box with the gun. It is the first thing we move to make room for this powerful weapon.

I don't need to worry about nuthin....I am armed

It does not sound cool (or tactical) but the best way to survive a gunfight is to be somewhere else

Like inside your house....equipped and prepared to defend it from a position of strength

You might not end up in jail if the unarmed meter reader in your back yard panics and you shoot him in the scuffle that ensues after you startle him...but you might

And if it IS a bad guy and he IS armed..........

Well he don't need to be afraid of nuthin either
Old January 3, 2007, 05:35 PM   #36
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Good Gawd! I've been under the weather for the last week & haven't been as diligent here as I should've been.

Words just fail me, so I'll borrow Erick's and say the pendulum and the scythe are still very much in effect, and there are a few here that need very much to heed that warning.

Closed.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread