The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 8, 2022, 06:44 PM   #1
Polinese

Marlin 336 rear barrel band

My marlin 336 has the sling stud that clamps around the magazine tube. Was hoping to replace it with a barrel band that has a sling stud on it. I know they existed at least at some point, but I can't seem to find one anywhere...
Old July 9, 2022, 08:25 AM   #2
taylorce1

Western Gun Parts has a few offered for sale on Gun Broker. They also have a website listed so you could probably contact them. They are a Canadian, and I've never purchased anything from them. I was unable to locate anything in the U.S.A.
Old July 10, 2022, 07:35 AM   #3
tango1niner

Why not just drill and tap the one you have for a stud or buy another from Gun Parts Corp. (Numrich Gun Parts) or Jack First or some other parts source and drill and D & T it. Maybe eBay???

Last edited by tango1niner; July 10, 2022 at 10:40 AM.
Old July 10, 2022, 07:40 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'd silver solder it.
Old July 10, 2022, 07:51 PM   #5
Polinese

I checked numrich but didn't see a band with the stud on it just the standard band.
Old July 11, 2022, 10:02 AM   #6
FrankenMauser

The classifieds section of the Marlin Owners forums have sling swivel bands come up occasionally.

But the most effective choice will probably be to drill and tap the band that you have. The cheap, easy, redneck way to lock it together is "permanent" thread locker. The proper way is silver solder and refinishing.

Quote:
They also have a website listed so you could probably contact them. They are a Canadian, and I've never purchased anything from them. I was unable to locate anything in the U.S.A.
I don't recommend doing business with that Canadian gun parts company if you are not in Canadia.
In my experience and that of an acquaintance, if there is ANY problem with the parts or order, they fall back on the cross-border 'protection' that they have and resort to a much more vulgar form of: "Tough cookies. We still got your money. Whatchu gonna do about it..."

They screwed me once (wrong parts). I ended up brushing it off as a mistake followed by a bad day for whomever was in the office.

Same for my acquaintance.

They screwed me harder the second time, for much more money. (Completely the wrong parts, in bad condition.) They acknowledged that the parts were not what I had paid for, but refused to do anything about it unless I shipped everything back, guaranteed overnight delivery, insured, adult signature required, ON MY DIME, and in violation of export law (~$135 at the time -- not to be refunded by them).
Due to some Canadian financial law, the CC company couldn't even do a charge-back. We spent months in arbitration, which was eventually settled 100% in my favor. But they still couldn't force a refund or return. It was merely "suggested" that the company do the right thing. They refused, but sent some childish, vulgar celebratory taunts to myself, the CC company, and the arbiter.
Old July 12, 2022, 11:34 AM   #7
taylorce1

I'd D&T and solder on the sling stud to the barrel band as well. Should make for a pretty solid stud, and allow you to sling up for longer shots.
Old July 12, 2022, 05:29 PM   #8
Polinese

Well I've gotta make a trip to the gunsmith for some other stuff anyways so I guess I"ll just add that to the pile.