thallub

NRA BOD Re-elects Wayne la Pierre

Vote was 54-1.

https://home.nra.org/statements/nra-...ctors-meeting/
Old May 30, 2022, 01:03 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Is anyone surprised?

The NRA Board of Directors is as corrupt as LaPierre. Basically, those directors who had any ethics resigned from the board a year or two ago when they began to understand how rotten the apple is at the core.
Jeepaholic
Old May 30, 2022, 01:17 PM   #3
MarkCO

Disgusting!
Old May 30, 2022, 02:29 PM   #4
Tom Servo
Staff

IIRC, they passed a resolution in 2014 or so that requires a unanimous vote from the BoD to remove him. He's essentially set up as President for Life.
Old May 30, 2022, 03:59 PM   #5
WyMark

Quote:
He's essentially set up as President for Life.
Or until the money dries up, whichever comes first.
Old May 30, 2022, 08:49 PM   #6
imp

I let my membership expire in February. I used the postage paid envelope for renewal to send them a letter explaining why I was letting my membership expire. Cutting off the money is the only way. I get more advocacy for my dollar from GOA and FPC anyway.

I do wish an organization would set up a training and certification process to replace the NRA in that aspect.
Old May 30, 2022, 10:13 PM   #7
TruthTellers

And yet there will still be deniers who say that if we just vote harder during the elections that it will change everything. At this point the NY AG may as well disband the NRA, it would be better for the organization to disappear and force all its members who are still in denial to support a different organization.
Old May 30, 2022, 10:18 PM   #8
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
I let my membership expire in February. I used the postage paid envelope for renewal to send them a letter explaining why I was letting my membership expire. Cutting off the money is the only way. I get more advocacy for my dollar from GOA and FPC anyway.

I do wish an organization would set up a training and certification process to replace the NRA in that aspect.
Even if the members cut off the money, the gun industry will still finance the NRA. Heck, the likes of Ruger, S&W, and Sig will increase the cost of all their guns by $50 just to fund the NRA.

As for an organization setting up training and cert, that's something I think would be better at the state level with state based 2A groups given how different states have different hunting regulations and carry laws.

The good news is the list of permitless carry states is only going to grow and SCOTUS is poised to turn all the May issue states into Shall issue, if not full permitless.

Long shot on all 50 states going permitless by SCOTUS ruling, but hey, look how many people had written the overturning of Roe v Wade off and suddenly it happened.
Old May 30, 2022, 10:19 PM   #9
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
I finally bit the bullet and started the USCCA cert process. I've been an NRA certified instructor for 30 years, even though I rarely use their materials.
Old May 30, 2022, 11:00 PM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Yes, I was going to suggest the USCCA. A friend of mine (also an NRA certified instructor) took their certification course and he thinks it's excellent material.

I have some reservations about them, because they are basically a sales arm for the insurance company they are "affiliated:" with, but it may be that they will become the de facto standard for training. It doesn't help me -- my state stipulates the NRA Basic Pistol class as the prerequisite for a carry permit, so I'll maintain my NRA cert as long as it's available. If the NRA ever goes belly up, we'll have to approach the State Police and see if we can continue offering the same course even if the NRA no longer exists.

I'm still hoping that the NY court will boot LaPierre and the current board of directors, and give the organization back to the members. (I know ... dream on.)
Jeepaholic
Old May 31, 2022, 06:10 AM   #11
ATN082268

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
Even if the members cut off the money, the gun industry will still finance the NRA. Heck, the likes of Ruger, S&W, and Sig will increase the cost of all their guns by $50 just to fund the NRA.
Why?
Old May 31, 2022, 11:54 AM   #12
natman

/04/656724.htm
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
And yet there will still be deniers who say that if we just vote harder during the elections that it will change everything. At this point the NY AG may as well disband the NRA, it would be better for the organization to disappear and force all its members who are still in denial to support a different organization.
The judge has already ruled that the NRA is not going to be disbanded.

https://www.insurancejournal.com/news/east/2022/03

I'm hoping that the judge will rule that the current BOD structure is hopelessly corrupt and call for an open election for a new BOD elected by the members.