The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 6, 2001, 03:35 PM   #1
Guyon

Good Deal on Shells at Academy Sports (Southeast)

Was in Academy today and noticed a good deal on shells for those of you who bird hunt or shoot clays. $2.99 a box for Remington ShurShot Heavy Dove (2 3/4", 1 1/8 oz., 7 1/2 shot). I picked up four boxes and plan to see how they shoot. Any experience with these shells?

Also saw a guy getting a great deal on an Remington 870 pump. He got the gun for $209 along with a free aluminum hard case worth about $60 (promotional deal they have going on). I told him about the $25 rebate, and he got even more excited. I'm sure he's online right now downloading the coupon.
Old August 6, 2001, 06:12 PM   #2
PWK

In S. TX it is the load of choise with all that I bird hunt with. In fact I often shoot skeet with it and I normally shoot in the 18-22/25 range. Here in Houston it sells for 3.49 per box. That is a great price for a good load. I'll check tomorrow and see if that sale is on here too. It may just be a regional sale to introduce the product up there. The Acadamys' here have an entire row of these stacked 3' high nearly rear round so they must be pretty popular.
Old August 6, 2001, 07:11 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

No better dove load exists than 1 1/8 oz of hard 7 1/2s. If the shot in these is hard, it's a barnburner for Dove. But that's a big if....

Hard shot is more expensive, antimony runs up to 6%,I hear, in trap loads. Softer shot not only spreads more(not necessarily a bad thing) but the more easily deformed pellets lose energy faster.

The Rem heavy dove loads I've shot did fine, tho I went one choke increment tighter than I would with trap loads, my dove load of choice for the last decade or so has been the red AA trap load. IOW, in a situation where Modified choke would shine with trap loads, a Full tube would approximate the same pattern with these.

Another place where these would shine would be on quail, at least Eastern style close hunting.8s might be a better choice, but it's a close call...

It sounds like a good deal, thanks for posting it...