The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 3, 2001, 10:36 AM   #1
salukijoe

Two questions actually -

Is the mount for Dillon presses only and does it work (and well)?
Old May 3, 2001, 11:36 AM   #2
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

If you have a sturdy bench, you don't need the strong mount. It's a nice feature but definitely not needed. Save your money and buy more bullets
Old May 3, 2001, 11:47 AM   #3
WalterGAII

Doesn't the Strong Mount have more to do with the working height of the press, as opposed to the stability of the mount? If you mount a Strong Mount on a Weak Bench, you're still going to have a Wobbly Press.
Old May 3, 2001, 11:49 AM   #4
salukijoe

"Save your money and buy more bullets"

Roger that
Old May 3, 2001, 12:06 PM   #5
jthuang

1. Sorry, don't know.

2. It does work, and works well -- for my intended purpose. I have the Strong Mount but I bought it only because my 550B would not fit on my reloading bench due to the short "overhang". Without it, I would have been SOL. But barring that problem and any other problems you may have with mounting, the only other reason I can think to buy the Strong Mount is that you prefer the height differential over the Mount-less press.

Justin
Old May 3, 2001, 04:44 PM   #6
blades67

If the hole spacing lines up then it will work. (I know, that is an obvious answer, but so it is with obvious questions.)

I use the strong mount to keep my reloading area tight. I don't have much room, so the strong mount keeps the press from hanging off the front of my bench. This does two things for me, it puts the press further out of the way and the leading edge of my bench doesn't have to take all the stress.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old May 3, 2001, 06:53 PM   #7
HankL

Hole spacing is 3 1/2" front to back. The strong mount is in two halves so you could vary the width. It will do nothing for an unstable bench except put the center of the ram of a 650 2" back from the front edge of your bench which might help a little. I like the added 6 3/4" height myself.
Old May 3, 2001, 10:29 PM   #8
Charmedlyfe

I like the Strong Mount 'cause I can put the cool bullet tray on the left, and have it at the PERFECT height for work. At first, I thought it was just a gimmick (Which, being a Dillonaholic, I would fall for), but after the first session with it, I now consider it a necessity.
Old May 4, 2001, 01:23 PM   #9
Nukem

I've got a strong bench, and don't need one. But, the idea behind it is to increase the footprint of the press. The side effect is a higher working height, which comes into play when presses with case feeders are located in basements with low overheads.
Old May 6, 2001, 05:20 PM   #10
slickpuppy

Get one. I have an extremely strong bench and prefer the height increase the strong mount provides.