The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 20, 2015, 07:31 PM   #26
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKexpat
I am wondering why such a barrel configuration has not shown up (to my knowledge) for an 1851 Navy. Swayze does not mention one in his " '51 Navies" treatise.
Oh, I don't know, probably because they didn't exist.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old December 20, 2015, 07:47 PM   #27
swathdiver

I noticed too Hawg that the latest Griswold's do not have serials on their barrel assembly, that was my mental hang up for creating a L&R! Now, it's just cash!

Many folks like their sixguns to be examples of what one would find for sale new back in the day. Others, like Tuco, liked to mix and match parts and come up with something custom, still historically correct, just not everyone's way.

Last edited by swathdiver; December 20, 2015 at 07:52 PM.
Old December 20, 2015, 07:50 PM   #28
Hawg

Quote:
I noticed too Hawg that the latest Griswold's do not have serials on their barrel assembly, that was my mental hang up for creating a L&R! Now, it's just cash!
Pietta doesn't serial number barrels.
Old December 20, 2015, 07:54 PM   #29
swathdiver

As of when? My older Griswold and Marshal have serials off the top of my head.
Old December 20, 2015, 09:08 PM   #30
Hawg

Must be pretty old I've never had Pietta with a serial number on the barrel. Uberti yes.
Old December 20, 2015, 09:58 PM   #31
deerslayer303

I think it is awesome that there are companies that reproduce the classics that we love. But I don't denounce the fantasy guns, I have one that I absolutely adore, it is a beautiful piece. I can't really say it never existed because it does I'm looking at it in the glass right now!! And I also think it is awesome how the weapons designed 150+ years ago are still popular to this day. Just my .02 worth, maybe worth a little less. Ya'll take care and have a great Christmas and New Year! I will be dual wielding the NMA's come Midnight!!!
Old December 20, 2015, 10:29 PM   #32
Hawg

Quote:
I can't really say it never existed because it does I'm looking at it in the glass right now
Let me rephrase that. They didn't exist in the 1800's.
Old December 20, 2015, 10:31 PM   #33
deerslayer303

LOL
Old December 20, 2015, 11:34 PM   #34
MJN77

Quote:
If you don't do fantasy pieces, why do you dwell on replicas that aren't spec original Colt pistols?
A replica is just that. A replication of something that existed prior. Like a nineteenth century percussion revolver. A "fantasy" gun is a newly designed creation, like the .44 caliber "navies" that are so prevalent. There is a difference between the two.
Old December 20, 2015, 11:56 PM   #35
Hawg

Well said MJN77
Old December 21, 2015, 12:07 AM   #36
deerslayer303

So what would they call it in lieu of "Navy"? A 44 cal Open Top Colt Patern Revolver with Octagon Barrel? I mean really, you guys get all worked up over that Abomination hehe. I guess yall would have a stroke looking in my safe! Most of the folks buying these things haven't a clue like I did. But it drove me to look and read further and learn a little something something. Even now that I'm in the know, I still like the never was revolvers that the spaghetti westerners are putting out.
Old December 21, 2015, 12:40 AM   #37
Hawg

Call it whatever you want to. The only thing navy about it is the octagonal barrel and loading lever. The frame grips and cylinder are all 1860 army. Shoot whatever you want to. Just be prepared to be corrected if you call it a navy.
I'm more traditional and want things that at least look like originals. No brass frame .44's, no .44 navies, no brass frame Remingtons, no short barrels or sheriffs models but that's just me. Heck shoot a ROA if that's what floats your goat.
Old December 21, 2015, 04:24 AM   #38
jimemers

Nice. What year is it? You mentioned the tail on the Piettas, I know Uberti (GU) made the G&G also early on.
How is that one marked if I may ask?
Old December 21, 2015, 08:11 AM   #39
MJN77

Quote:
I mean really, you guys get all worked up over that Abomination hehe.
Who is worked up? The fact is that a replica is a replica of a historic firearm. It is as close as one can reasonably get to owning and shooting the guns of our history. That is what drives the replica firearm business. Considering there were only about 3500 real G&Gs made 150 plus years ago, and lord knows how many still exist, and the fact that a real one would cost thousands of dollars and wouldn't be something any sane person would shoot a lot if at all, a replica is the only way to enjoy these iconic firearms of the past. The history lovers are the reason companies like Pietta, Pedersoli and Uberti exist. To most other folks, these guns are novelties or range toys. That's why they may pick up a $150-$200 brass frame .44 "navy" to play with instead of a $250-$350 replica of an actual navy revolver that is almost a dead ringer of the original weapon. Pietta may have a few guns that are not historically correct in their catalog lineup, but the bulk of what they make are true replicas. You can laugh at and ridicule those of us that prefer historic replicas, but if not for us, no one would be making your fantasy guns for you.

Quote:
I guess yall would have a stroke looking in my safe
No, we wouldn't. We don't care what you or any one else chooses to shoot. We prefer historic replicas. You don't. Different strokes, for different folks. Even if we are the right thinking folks.

Last edited by MJN77; December 21, 2015 at 08:29 AM.
Old December 21, 2015, 08:26 AM   #40
deerslayer303

MJN, Have another cup of coffee and maybe you won't be so Grumpy. No one is questioning Hawgs tastes. I always joke around with him hence the laughing face in the post. And if you read my post in its entirety you will see that it's
mostly just kidding around. Good day
Old December 21, 2015, 08:30 AM   #41
MJN77

Not grumpy at all. Just giving truthful answers. Sorry if that hurt your feelings. I took your posts as good natured teasing. Apparently that's not how you took mine.

Last edited by MJN77; December 21, 2015 at 09:06 AM.
Old December 21, 2015, 09:53 AM   #42
salvadore

I wouldn't be interested in .44 Navy, but before I mentioned it I would post a pic of a shot up refer so people would think I was a red neck instead of an elitist jerk.
Old December 21, 2015, 10:37 AM   #43
Hawg

Quote:
Nice. What year is it? You mentioned the tail on the Piettas, I know Uberti (GU) made the G&G also early on.
How is that one marked if I may ask?
CN 2015 Pietta but it doesn't have the Pietta tail on the grips like my navy does.

Quote:
I wouldn't be interested in .44 Navy, but before I mentioned it I would post a pic of a shot up refer so people would think I was a red neck instead of an elitist jerk.
well I iz a redneck and an elitist jerk. I live in the country and yes I do have an old fridge that doesn't have enough holes in it to haul off yet so what's your point?
Old December 21, 2015, 11:23 AM   #44
foolzrushn

This reminds me....

of the 'classic' car guys vs the 'custom' guys.

I too subscribe to 'different strokes', and here's a thought. Without all those detestable fantasy guns ( like mine ), the price for replicas would be high....or they would not even exist, because the economics would not support even one manufacturer, much less two.

Given that...I am glad for the fantasy guns, and would guess that they keep both Pietta and Uberti in business. I see it the other way around now MJN77, even though it all started as you say.

Hawg.....can you just open the fridge door and pick up your lead? You may have a leading edge, high tech recovery system.

certified 'soap welder'

Last edited by foolzrushn; December 21, 2015 at 11:29 AM.
Old December 21, 2015, 11:38 AM   #45
deerslayer303

There's an idea! I think SWMBO needs a new refrigerator!
Old December 21, 2015, 11:51 AM   #46
MJN77

Quote:
Given that...I am glad for the fantasy guns, and would guess that they keep both Pietta and Uberti in business. I see it the other way around now MJN77, even though it all started as you say.
You can say what you want. But if that's true, why is there such a small "fantasy" offering from any of these companies? Why are there only a few such fantasy pieces offered, instead of coming up with more/newer designs? On the other hand, why are the vast majority of the pieces offered by Pietta, Uberti and Pedersoli "historic" replicas? Why are these guns marketed to "cowboy" shooters and reenactors, most of whom care, at least a little, about historical accuracy? Some "cowboy" organizations don't even allow "fantasy" guns at their matches. Even the ads printed by these companies have a historical angle to them. If the "big money" was made from the "fantasy" pieces, you would see a lot more of them than the historical replicas. Think about it.
Old December 21, 2015, 12:24 PM   #47
Hawg

Uberti no longer makes fantasy guns. ROA is a dead has been. Pietta is what keeps the fantasies alive. Deerslayer there is no SWMBO so I can put whatever I want to in the yard and shoot it up.
Old December 21, 2015, 12:35 PM   #48
deerslayer303

I hear ya HAWG!

MJN, so one would need a historically accurate Reproduction, to participate in a fantasy live action Role Play match? Ok I gotcha LOL I'm just kidding man.
Old December 21, 2015, 12:41 PM   #49
MJN77

Quote:
MJN, so one would need a historically accurate Reproduction, to participate in a fantasy live action Role Play match? Ok I gotcha LOL I'm just kidding man.
A lot of the "cowboy" shooters I have seen are 50-60 (or more) years old, overweight, have never been near a real cow, unless you count hamburgers, and have hands that are softer than deerskin gloves. So FFS, the guns, at least have to be "authentic".
Old December 21, 2015, 12:42 PM   #50
deerslayer303

Lol