The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 3, 2014, 09:15 AM   #51
campbed

MPro-7 LPX oil and cleaner for AR platform.

Ballistol CLP and MPro-7 LPX oil for pistol.
Old January 3, 2014, 04:08 PM   #52
KeeperOath

Price of Gun Oil:

I have a few firearms and I clean them regularly, but since I use so very little oil at each cleaning, the price of the oil does not affect me.

I like ProLong SPL100 and Ballistol. I have a nice collection of other firearm Lubes.
Old January 3, 2014, 04:30 PM   #53
ChasingWhitetail91

Been using Rem Oil for a while with no complaints.
Old January 5, 2014, 01:56 PM   #54
F23Blackwidow2

I use some good old 10w-30 for most things, and high temp bearing grease for any really high friction areas, like slides. As long as you take your guns out and wipe them ocasionaly, you should be perfect.

F23
Old January 5, 2014, 09:30 PM   #55
L_Killkenny

Best? I have no idea what is best. It would take ten lifetimes of research to find out what's best. I do know that I've had zero issues using any gun lube on the market, past tense included. "What lube?"is over thinkin created by wintertime blues.
Old January 5, 2014, 09:37 PM   #56
Pops1085

True ^^^

But... I'm switching to fp-10 and this video is why!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YCPg8mS_7wM
Old January 6, 2014, 06:10 AM   #57
CajunBass

I just use some stuff called "gun oil" that I got at Wal-Mart. It works on fishing reels too.

Reel oil oddly enough, works on guns too.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old January 6, 2014, 10:28 PM   #58
BuckRub

Never seen video but it is impressive. I already use FP-10 because there's a gun store in college station , TX that I asked their opinion of a good lubricant and they told me FP-10 was about the best.
Old January 10, 2014, 12:37 PM   #59
gullydirt

3 in 1 Oil

I have never heard a complaint about 3 in 1 oil on guns..it's been around for 120+ years.

Why change?
Old January 11, 2014, 01:19 PM   #60
DMZX

In my formative years, my cash flow from mowing lawns was meager to say the least. I had a JC Higgins semi-auto .22 and a JC Higgins single shot 20 gauge.

My lube of choice was LSA, due to the fact that a local surplus store sold the
4oz bottles for 25 cents.

It worked very well and I got to love the smell of it.

I know it is still available here and there, but not at the old surplus price, so I use modern gun oils now.
Old January 12, 2014, 06:14 PM   #61
Darren007

Quote:
True ^^^

But... I'm switching to fp-10 and this video is why!
That machine they use to test "lubricity" is a complete sham. Snake oil salesman in the auto industry use the same machine to push crap like "Duralube" and "Zmax". Several sites have debunked these carnival barkers, using the same machine and a bottle of shampoo, they got the exact same results.
Old January 12, 2014, 06:31 PM   #62
zxcvbob

I don't know that guns are all that hard on the lube. I use Dexron transmission fluid.
Old January 12, 2014, 08:25 PM   #63
stevelyn

I've looked for a product better than Break-Free because it was what the Army used and well, I just wanted to get away from anything the Army used.

The truth is, is I haven't found anything that works as well for me as Break Free does.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old January 14, 2014, 11:59 AM   #64
bugout2112

Froglube fail

There's another thread on this, and I have to say I agree with his assessment. I know some people here may like it, but my experience with it is definitely not good. I have to say I'm pretty disappointed with this stuff, especially from all the hype about it being so non-toxic you can use it as mint frosting on a bundt cake. I also took some time before finalizing my opinion and my conclusion is that it's viscosity changes over time, and it's and it just plain turns to syrup when it sits for a while (in my experience). I ordered the froglube liquid about a year ago, and it works great initially, as in, clean and go shoot within a week, and it has interesting cleaning properties (after using Mpro7 cleaner with nothing on the patch, you can get more black with froglube), but the problem is when you clean/lube and then store. Yes, I know the company will say I put too much on, but that is bs. I don't over-lube my guns at all, the problem is that when it's on my p220 is sitting inside my nightstand after month or so, racking the slide feels like it was dipped in maple syrup, very sluggish and gummed up, like a dampening system was put in the gun. This should not happen. The action is jacked up, and i have to go through all my guns now and get this gunk off. Their MSDS is basically a secret, and it's my suspicion that they are using some natural oil (jojoba, or avocado) and combine it with a super strong minty substance to mask it so you can't tell (it almost smells sugary) which oxidizes over time and becomes thick and syrupy (but this is just my theory). I think in colder weather, "the syrup effect" is even worse. If you like this stuff, great, but this is my experience. If anyone has any recommendation on another non-toxic, non-carcinogenic lube (I heard about Slip 2000 EWL?) let me know. Thanks.
Old January 14, 2014, 12:05 PM   #65
Grizz12

Bugout, if its getting gummy, you are using too much, period… Read the instructions and then follow the instructions and the stuff will work great for you.
Old January 14, 2014, 01:02 PM   #66
bugout2112

Grizz, from the FL website..

http://froglube.com/froglube-product....fohNfDMZ.dpuf

Froglube CLP

1) Pre-clean using above procedure with FrogLube Solvent™.
2) For best results, apply heat to area to be treated. Heat from a heat lamp, heat blower or ambient sunlight is more than sufficient.
3) Apply FrogLube and allow time to absorb. (heat quickens the rate of absorption)
4) Scrub, agitate, and wipe off excess. Normal cleaning tools such as nylon brushes, patches, wipes and towels are sufficient.
5) Lubricate per manufacturers instruction. FrogLube will work dry or wet.
Note: In hot/dusty or extreme cold, follow manufacturers directions for use in extreme environmental conditions.
6) If storing, apply a light coat for long term protection.

I followed these instructions...so step 5 must be very misleading, especially the whole "working wet deal" huh? And step 6 should say "if storing, apply a light coat, and don't plan on normal function as it will turn to syrup in a few weeks. You must field strip and clean again"
Old January 14, 2014, 01:49 PM   #67
Grizz12

the only time I had issues with FL is when I applied it with my fingers and didn't wipe it down with a rag. Now all my guns are "seasoned" with FL and I wipe down to clean after each trip to the range and then apply a drop or two here and there and wipe across all moving parts with a rag.

You can't see any lube anyplace and it will feel dry after a few minutes. I live a few miles from the ocean so salt air is a problem or I should say it WAS a problem for me, not any longer.
Old January 14, 2014, 03:27 PM   #68
bugout2112

k, thanks for your input. I might try storing my firearms a lot more "dry" with FL and see how they do..
Old January 14, 2014, 03:42 PM   #69
TheFlash

Also agree with the 'free samples' and give 'em a try...

Received samples of Militec-1 and used that - both oil and grease. Worked fine.
At last year's SHOT Show, I received a sample of Slip2000 EWL and have used that on both pistol and rifle - works fine.

Over the years have used RemOil, G96 and several others.
All worked fine.

So, unless you are in extreme conditions, I would say that just about anything will work well.
(Note: I too have noticed that 1911's work best with a bit of grease on the rails. Oil didn't seem to quite do the trick and once switched to grease - all is good.)
Old January 22, 2014, 06:31 PM   #70
Average Joe

I only use Breakfree CLP on all of my firearms.
Old January 23, 2014, 04:29 AM   #71
Ignition Override

How about Hilco Lube? It was recommended by the wife of a military sniper and is used for many types of machinery.

This is Not lube in terms of grease.
It feels sort of like Breakfree, and Hilco did a nice job as a solvent in tiny areas which still had some cosmoline in my pair of excellent, almost unused Yugo M59 SKS rifles.

This stuff soaking in well prevented any more stovepipe jams, which had been very frequent-even After the tube, piston, action components and follower etc had been cleaned with both scalding water and some Hoppe's 9.

Having the word "gun" (or not) on a label doesn't ensure that something is the best product.
Old January 24, 2014, 12:46 AM   #72
BDM 9MM

Oils

The answer is not what oil as much as when. I clean and re-oil or lube after each use. My first rifle - Crossman pellet gun was lubed using 3-in-One and Rig. I have not felt the need to change in the last 60 years.

Most of the new latest and greatest oils & lubes are made from snake oil. For the most part they all work if you use them and don't work if you don't.

The Strawstalker, behind the lines in Liberal Colorado.
Old January 24, 2014, 12:56 PM   #73
Jim March

Funniest has to be:

http://shop.tactical****.com/liberal-tears-gun-oil

And yes, this is a real product from a real company.