The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 27, 2013, 06:13 PM   #1
gadawg31

Sierra Load Data Concerns

Hey everyone,

I was reading an old post on here, regarding load data from asierra manual and I have a question. This is mainly ignorance, since I definately don't know everything about reloading and wanted to get some opinions/education. Another gentleman posted the 5th edition, which appears to be the most recent edition. Now, on page 537 is where I found my load data for the 150gr HPBT match king. The top row gives velocites and the left side column gives you the powder recommendations. Is it safe to assume that 2500 is minimum and 2900 is maximum load? I know most of my manuals give Min/Max loads and you kind of experiment in between the two. What do you all think of that theory or am I way off base. I was looking at starting with 2600 and going from there. Any suggestions? I am always all ears when it comes to reloading. I am really getting addicted to this stuff. Thanks as always.

JD
Old January 27, 2013, 06:21 PM   #2
SonOfGun

2900 is only MAX for some powders. Read the bottom of the page. MAX charge is listed in green. MAX for IMR4350 is 47.2
Old January 27, 2013, 06:23 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Don't know what cartridge you are talking about since I don't have that edition, so I can't offer an opinion specific to it. The lowest velocity listed by Sierra is the starting load in your load workup, so 2500 fps. For any given powder, they stop increasing the charge under one of the higher velocity numbers, so that is the maximum charge they recommend with that powder. I suggest you follow Richard Lee's method of taking the difference between the heaviest and lightest load listed and divide it by five and use the result as your load increment. Load one at the bottom, add that result and load one and so on until you get to the sixth round, which will be the maximum. After each shot, check for pressure signs. If you get none, then you can load anywhere inside that range.

I also recommend you look at other load data on line, like Hodgdons or whoever the powder maker is. You'll probably find some different opinions. Sierra tends to be conservative, IME, but don't count on it without testing.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 27, 2013, 06:25 PM   #4
Jimro

It has been my experience that Sierra's data has consistently been the "most conservative" of the any source.

The velocity portion is just the resulting velocity from min and max charges with the particular powder, and has nothing to do with the recommended velocity range of the bullet.

Jimro