The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 24, 2008, 12:28 AM   #26
Gun 4 Fun

Not to knock on anyone, but this is a prime example of why a nebie should use a single stage press until he/she becomes more familiar and comfortable, you just tend to go slower on a single stage.
Glad your allright, and at least weren't to proud to seek help from those who've been at it awhile.
Old November 24, 2008, 08:23 PM   #27
CrustyFN

Quote:
I still remember my first round: I call it a 45 short. The bullet was shoved alla way down into the cartridge! I forgot to set the seating die.
I had one of those in 9mm.
Rusty
Old November 25, 2008, 08:31 AM   #28
BeeGee

A 45-44 or 44-45?

I too, like Benzuncle & CrustyFN, had a "whoops". I was loading 45 colt on night and a 44 mag shell somehow made it all the way around the shellplate of my xl650 to the seater position. I set on a 45 bullet and I realized I had a new "wildcat" load. Would this be a 45/44 or a 44/45? Anyway ,I removed it and thought I should probably shut down for the night since I was obviously too tired to continue! DON"T reload if your tired and can't concentrate BeeGee
Old November 25, 2008, 09:47 AM   #29
Sevens

Quick note, just because we have a lot of new reloaders in this thread:

The .45 "short" and 9mm "short" may be funny to look at, but it's worth mentioning what a major problem one of these "short" rounds would create if you accidentally chambered one of these rounds and pulled the trigger. Pressure inside the case is very much relative to the amount of space inside... when you remove all that space with a bullet seated too deep, the pressure goes up exponentially.

Not that you can't laugh at your mistake (I laugh at all my errors all the time, it's the only way to keep from slapping yourself!) but I just wanted to mention how damn dangerous one of those shorties can be.

Now a .452 bullet in a .429 piece of brass would be funny as all hell. We need a picture of that one!
Old November 25, 2008, 09:53 AM   #30
CortJestir

Quote:
I still remember my first round: I call it a 45 short. The bullet was shoved alla way down into the cartridge! I forgot to set the seating die.
Yep, I did the exact same thing as well on my first round. I didn't pull the bullet seater out far enough when I set the die as I didn't know how far to raise it. The next thing I did was find a pair of scissors...

...to open the package containing my bullet puller.