The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 5, 2017, 03:01 AM   #1
Model12Win

Tradition Pennsylvania?

How are they? Wanting an accurate rifle that won't break the bank.
Old February 5, 2017, 07:41 AM   #2
Roaddog

If you want one that will last for years I would say Lyman's grate plains rifel.
Old February 5, 2017, 10:48 AM   #3
Hawg

The Great Plains isn't a Pennsylvania/Kentucky. If historical accuracy doesn't matter the Spanish guns imported by Traditions are pretty accurate. The Pedersoli Kentucky should be an accurate gun. Other than that there's not much out there unless you build one or have one built.
Old February 5, 2017, 11:03 AM   #4
Tidewater_Kid

I like my 3 CVA/Traditions rifles. They are not historically accurate, but they work and are reliable. I look at them as a good way to try out the hobby and upgrade to a custom made or kit built rifle at later date. Mine shoot as well as I can at the distances I shoot at.

The Pennsylvania looks like a nice rifle. A bit high in price, but looks nice.

https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/rifle...leloaders.html

TK
Old February 5, 2017, 11:13 AM   #5
Model12Win

Thanks I am not wanting a Hawken style rifle. I want an old long rifle.

Do they spark good? Do they jam up all the time? Want it for targets and possible deer and hogs. Don't want a custom I would be afraid of hurting it in the woods.

Last edited by Model12Win; February 5, 2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old February 5, 2017, 11:24 AM   #6
Hawg

Just going by what I see on different forums I think the Traditions spark well but have a noticeable delay between spark and ignition.
Old February 5, 2017, 12:39 PM   #7
Tidewater_Kid

My only Traditions flintlock rifle sparks well. It took a bit to get the flint set right. As far as the delay, I'm sure higher end locks are better. I purchased a spare frizzen for mine when I read they were soft, but so far mine has held up fine. I don't shoot it as often as the percussion version. They are just easier and THAT is historically accurate.

TK
Old February 5, 2017, 02:23 PM   #8
Gunplummer

I just recently got into black powder too. I think I finally got bored with conventional rifles. It is a whole new world with black powder. I have a traditions flintlock. It seems to be very accurate and it sparks well. You have to have good flints and keep them sharp. Somebody told me to put a pipe cleaner in the touch hole when loading the main charge so the touch hole remains clear for faster ignition. I don't know if it helps or not, but it can't hurt.
Old February 6, 2017, 11:46 PM   #9
OcelotZ3

I'm happy with my Traditions Shenandoah rifle. My first flintlock and it worked fine which convinced me to buy some more. 10 more (all custom). Ack.
Old February 7, 2017, 12:25 PM   #10
FrontierGander

much higher priced than the other Traditions models due to the walnut stock they use on this model.

As for the delay between the flint striking and the powder going off, that depends on the dummy behind the trigger.

I have 3 traditions flinters and they are instant.

My hawken woodsman.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H4chpPy1mE

My mountain rifle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK2NaUvDN-U

The locks love French Amber flints. I got tired of the black english flints busting to pieces, they are so soft or something.
Old February 8, 2017, 06:18 AM   #11
D Thomson

Ignition delay

Play with the amount of powder [4X] you put in the pan , more powder more delay.
Old February 8, 2017, 10:37 AM   #12
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Whats not to like about?
Set triggers. Functions and shoots. A exterior that appeals to you're eye. As far as this Traditions models accuracy. Its accuracy as you already know is governed by the one who's pulling its trigger/s. I'm sure this model of rifle will take some getting use too having the barrel length it has. Although no doubt it has some reach out and touch ability. As far as reliably? Rock lock firearms can be irritating~~ or not. Allot of that irritation stems from your choice of flint.
FWIW>I think you should buy this model of Traditions and enjoy its owning & shooting ASAP.