The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

View Poll Results: Will a National AWB Be Passed During the 113th Congress Session?
No 102 77.86%
Yes 11 8.40%
Undecided 18 13.74%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 25, 2013, 12:12 AM   #26
Coyote Blue

You must be in South Carolina,Tom. My best math Prof was from Manning. You got it down right. Harry simply cannot get to the magic number.
Old January 25, 2013, 01:24 AM   #27
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
You must be in South Carolina,Tom
Nope, Georgia. Even we can count to 100, though

My biggest concern is with universalizing background checks. Rhetorically, that's a hard one to fight.
Old January 25, 2013, 01:59 AM   #28
Coyote Blue

Quote:
My biggest concern is with universalizing background checks. Rhetorically, that's a hard one to fight.
True. But it can be overcome. I'm thinking we beat it.
Old January 25, 2013, 06:53 AM   #29
jason_iowa

Very few politicians actually want it. It will be a horse trade for something that matters like infrastructure spending.
Old January 25, 2013, 08:53 AM   #30
thallub

Look for a concerted effort to pass gun control legislation this year. The antis in congress would prefer to pass their gun control schemes in 2013.

Many, if not most, voters have short memories. The impact of gun control laws passed this year would be diluted and overshadowed by events come election time in 2014. Not so with gun control laws passed in 2014.
Old January 25, 2013, 10:08 PM   #31
Coyote Blue

I want to thank you all for the fine comments and votes. It is greatly appreciated. This is an important moment for our rights.

And we shall prevail.
Old January 25, 2013, 11:20 PM   #32
SPEMack618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
I agree with Tom as well on the background checks, but also worry about 10 round mag limit seperately of the AWB. I think that one is an even tougher fight rhetorically.

I can count to 100 too, I just have to get four of my Fraternity Brothers to take off thier shoes too.
Old January 26, 2013, 02:35 AM   #33
Dr Big Bird PhD

Yeah I'm not worry about the AWB, just magazines and the NICS.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old January 26, 2013, 10:15 AM   #34
breakingcontact

According to some article I read yesterday which I can't locate now...the AWB may not even get out of the senate. I think the "high cap" ban may pass as it sounds more reasonable and has less emotional connotations for gun owners. No ones guns would be outlawed/registered/confiscated.

Why the mag limit should scare anyone is once they pass an arbitrary number, they can then drive that number down to zero.
Old January 26, 2013, 12:45 PM   #35
Webleymkv

Quote:
Look for a concerted effort to pass gun control legislation this year. The antis in congress would prefer to pass their gun control schemes in 2013.

Many, if not most, voters have short memories. The impact of gun control laws passed this year would be diluted and overshadowed by events come election time in 2014. Not so with gun control laws passed in 2014.
Mid-term elections and presidential elections are two very different things. Turn out for presidential elections is almost always higher because of the publicity surrounding it and because, amongst certain demographics, voting in presidential elections has become the trendy thing to do. Also, four years is a longer period of time that two and thus it gives voters more time to forget a politician's past transgressions.

Mid-term elections, on the other hand, don't recieve near as much publicity as presidential ones and, as such, "low information" voters are much less likely to turn out for mid-terms. In contrast, the people who do vote in off years are by and large issue voters who are reasonably well informed. Basically, the people who are easily distracted and have short memories do not, by and large, vote in mid-term elections in significant numbers.
Old January 26, 2013, 12:49 PM   #36
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
Here's an article with some good points: http://www.ammoland.com/2013/01/univ...#axzz2J1HF3ski
Old January 26, 2013, 06:19 PM   #37
Glenn E. Meyer

Politico.com has a couple of articles. One discusses the pros and cons of background checks.

The other reports that the real push will be for the loophole closure, mandatory chance story as compared to an AWB. While some want the latter that will be put forth to go the former. But the efficacy is doubted.

One thing mentioned is that states are not reporting those adjudicated to be mentally ill and that should be fixed.
Old January 28, 2013, 05:40 PM   #38
Ronbert

I'm undecided.
It ain't over until it's over.

Our opponents are some pretty sneaky characters.
They might pass it to find out what's in it.
Old January 28, 2013, 05:52 PM   #39
BarryLee

Quote:
I'm undecided.
It ain't over until it's over.

Our opponents are some pretty sneaky characters.
Currently we have a lot of energy focused on defeating this oppressive legislation. However, I fear a lot of people may think if we can defeat these various Bills in this session the fight is over. These guys are probably thinking more long term and will continue to try to push something past us if we are not vigilant. That is the primary reason we need groups like the NRA keeping watch and educating us.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman